Do you *have* to use a credit card?

We are going on our first cruise in May and I know it's customary to provide a credit card to charge any ship charges and exurcisions (sp?).

Is this absolutely required? I thought I seen someone say you can provide cash instead?

The reason I ask is because I screwed up my finances earlier in life, and joined a program to repair them two years ago. It's improving my credit, things are looking up, and one of the stipulations of the program is not being able to sign up for any credit cards, debts, loans, etc. or else the program is void.

So, what are the drawbacks of using cash? (Obviously the billing disputes, but other than that?)

And are you penalized for using cash instead of credit? (Like additional fees or surcharges?)

Thanks for any help (or suggestions) you can give!

No you do not have to use a credit card. Cash is fine. You will be asked to put down a certain amount ($250??) toward your onboard purchases and when/if this is depleted they will ask you to go to the Purser's Desk to put down more. I am not aware of any penalties for using cash, other than the fact that you might have to make that extra trip to the Purser's Desk.

They will also take travelers checks. They like your money and don't care if it is a credit card or cash. Actually they don't have to pay a fee to VISA/Mastercard if you you cash, so they should like cash.

I am in the same situation as you, and have used travelers checks both times I was at sea (Carnival though, not RC, although I imagine it is done the same way).

I had absolutely no problems and would ask the purser every day or two how much money I had left on my card.

It's very do-able and you don't get the shell shock of the credit card 3 weeks later :D I just suggest travelers checks versus cash for the protection.

AAA - Cash Card

I'm also a cash only person, I have a few credit cards, but try to pay cash for everything, recently I went to AAA they have a card that works like a credit card but you put cash on it before you go and you can refill it from your checking or savings ( I believe if you run out of funds) you put the amount of cash that you want to spend, they say it's safer than any other card because if you lose it the person doesn't have access to your checking/saving or any card card numbers.

http://www.aaa.com look at http://www.aaaohio.com/insurance_financial/travel_money.jsp

AAA VISA TravelMoney© Card

The AAA VISA TravelMoney Card opens the door for you, is accepted at your favorite restaurants and enables you to shop, take in a show, a tour, a museum or a spa treatment. And, you can also use it to get cash in local currency. It's secure, flexible and convenient. Plus, it packs light, goes most anywhere - and speaks the language! Purchase your AAA VISA TravelMoney Card online!

I only use cash because that way I am not sticker shocked after the cruise. I put down a thousand dollars and keep track in my head but will check with the purser if I need to. Once the cruise line put a hold on the card then charged on top of the hold by accident putting me above my limit... it was cash only after that.

Just another suggestion...you can use a check card too. I used my check card connected to my checking account. It has a Visa logo on it. No problems at all and that way I didn't have to use my regular credit card or use cash. When we used cash it was a bummer because each time we needed to add money to our seapass cards, we had to get in line at the purser's desk.

With you debit card you can call the cruise line and add money to your Sea Pass account before you sail. There is a $500 limit with each transaction - over that amount you'll have to fax them more info. You may complete as many transactions under the $500 mark as you wish. When you arrive for you sailing, you'll have a plus balance in you ship account and you can watch - on your stateroom tv - as the dollars tick their way closer to zero.

I take my zero-balance credit card with me for emergencies, but have been putting down Travellers' Checks/bank Visa card for several years now. I always used to use one of my credit cards, but hated getting the bill a month after I got home. Too depressing! I just feel better knowing that I am literally "paid-in-full" when I get off the ship! Be careful of using a bank card, though. They're not all the same, and you can't make a cash advance on them...only with a credit card. Lately, I've been using Travellers' Checks only. Works for me! But then, I usually don't spend more than 3-4 hundred dollars on any cruise.

AAA - Cash Card

I'm also a cash only person, I have a few credit cards, but try to pay cash for everything, recently I went to AAA they have a card that works like a credit card but you put cash on it before you go and you can refill it from your checking or savings ( I believe if you run out of funds) you put the amount of cash that you want to spend, they say it's safer than any other card because if you lose it the person doesn't have access to your checking/saving or any card card numbers.

www.aaa.com look at http://www.aaaohio.com/insurance_financial/travel_money.jsp

AAA VISA TravelMoney© Card

The AAA VISA TravelMoney Card opens the door for you, is accepted at your favorite restaurants and enables you to shop, take in a show, a tour, a museum or a spa treatment. And, you can also use it to get cash in local currency. It's secure, flexible and convenient. Plus, it packs light, goes most anywhere - and speaks the language! Purchase your AAA VISA TravelMoney Card online!

American Express has one too called the TravelFunds card.

The only problem I ran into using a debit card was my direct deposit for a paycheck did not make it in when I was in the Bahamas.. Put quite a damper on my trip (and stopped me from EVER working for that company again. I was a computer trainer who contracted out).

I have used cash on several occasions with RCI and they do not require that you give them the cash upfront. They will automatically start you with $500.00, and then require you to pay that whwn you have charged that much on your seas pass card. We never exceeded the 500.00, so we just paid them on the last night.

Radio

;) ;)

We have only used cash on our cruise vacation. The 2 prior cruises required $200.00 down but I usually plan on at least $100.00 per day and even $200.00 for the first day (cigarettes and alcohol). But be carefull and watch your spending... We were on Cococay when we seen someone run out of "credit" and they had to take the tender back to the ship. Although we will not be in a "private" port if you watch what your doing you will get money back at the end of the cruise or at least we always have. BTW we always try to purchase all of our shore excursions online before we depart as these also will be charged to your sea pass card. Hope this helps and we bet this won't be you last...:D

Rich - Thanks for mentioning the option of depositing money to your seapass card before arriving. How do I do it? I had heard it mentioned before and checked out the RCCL web page but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance

Archived