How does Princess handle the stomach virus?

happy cruzer

I've read how many cruiselines handle the norovirus or stomach viruses.

How does Princess do it? I know they have the questionaire at boarding.

But if you get the virus on board, do they pay for a doctor's visit? do they quarantine you and for how long? How do they determine when the quarantine is over. How do they handle feeding you? Do you get more than the standard room service menu?

I've even read of one line that will reimburse you the cost of the cruise for the day you are quaratined. The rationale there is to get people to report when they are sick.

First hand info will be great. Thanks.

I am on Sea Princess now and the people that contracted the Norvo were given free medical care,quarantined for 48 hours and fed rather bland food like chicken breasts.I met one lady who got sick again after 48 hours and had to do another 48 hours in her cabin.

Any time you get a large crowd in a confined space such as a plane, shopping mall, or even a cruise ship you increase the chances of being exposed to something you would rather not be.

Biggest thing is to use prevention techniques such as handwashing, handwashing, and more handwashing!

Having had first hand experience at the dreaded virus, I can report my experience on the Dawn Princess a couple of years ago.

Upon taking ill (during the night) I called the medical office and was asked to come and see them. I had to fill in a lengthy questionairre (where I had been, what I had eaten, what I had to drink, etc. for the prior three days), the Dr. checked me out and then very kindly asked me to stay in my cabin for 24 hours. I was advised to eat bland food during this time (and really, I didn't feel like eating anything except chicken broth and crackers) and drink lots of water. The hazmat cleaners came and cleaned out the cabin three times during this time, and they also delivered my food. I was also offered to have my laundry done free of charge but since I had just done my wash the day before did not take advantage of this. Exactly 24 hours after seeing the Dr., the medical office called me to see how I was feeling and since I had not had any "episodes" during that time, they advised that I was now free to leave my cabin. It was a very small percentage of passengers that got sick on this cruise, but we did notice several changes - packaged salt & pepper in the dining room, hand sanitizers at the entrance to all eating facilities, fresh flowers all disappeared, limited fresh fruit available, waiters served your buns they was no longer a basket on the table. Luckily the day I was confined was a day at sea so I did not miss a port. It was an unfortunate incident and I hope not to repeat it on my next cruise which is why I won't be eating at the buffet and will use my own bathroom instead of the public washrooms.

If they request you stay in the cabin because of Norovirus, they will also flag your room passkey. If you try and use the key at a security station at a port it will alert security that you have violated the confinement. They can ask you to leave the ship if they want to push the matter to maximum by not honoring the voluntary confinement.

Yes, any time you get alot of people together, there will be germs to share.

Another idea - - do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth unless you have just washed your hands with soap and hot water.

As for airborne germs, well, you do have to breathe. Try and stay away from the known sick.

A strong immune system is always a good thing. Sleep depravation will really lower your resistance.

Having had first hand experience at the dreaded virus, I can report my experience on the Dawn Princess a couple of years ago.

Upon taking ill (during the night) I called the medical office and was asked to come and see them. I had to fill in a lengthy questionairre (where I had been, what I had eaten, what I had to drink, etc. for the prior three days), the Dr. checked me out and then very kindly asked me to stay in my cabin for 24 hours. I was advised to eat bland food during this time (and really, I didn't feel like eating anything except chicken broth and crackers) and drink lots of water. The hazmat cleaners came and cleaned out the cabin three times during this time, and they also delivered my food. I was also offered to have my laundry done free of charge but since I had just done my wash the day before did not take advantage of this. Exactly 24 hours after seeing the Dr., the medical office called me to see how I was feeling and since I had not had any "episodes" during that time, they advised that I was now free to leave my cabin. It was a very small percentage of passengers that got sick on this cruise, but we did notice several changes - packaged salt & pepper in the dining room, hand sanitizers at the entrance to all eating facilities, fresh flowers all disappeared, limited fresh fruit available, waiters served your buns they was no longer a basket on the table. Luckily the day I was confined was a day at sea so I did not miss a port. It was an unfortunate incident and I hope not to repeat it on my next cruise which is why I won't be eating at the buffet and will use my own bathroom instead of the public washrooms.

Thanks. I understand the preventatives and agree that handwashing is the best. But I am curious about how it is handled once it wasn't avoided. Do you get charged for the doctor's visit/visits? etc.

It looks that season (I know its year round but fall/winter is the highest part) is upon us again. Here's hoping for all to have a healthy happy cruise.

On our recent cruise my daughter got a little piece of food caught in her throat which caused her to cough and gag and I could tell what was coming next! As I was running her to the bathroom she threw up right in the public area outside of the dining room. The staff was very nice and I explained that she was not sick, she just had something stuck in her throat. They took my name and cabin number and said we might get a call from the medical office, but that didn't happen. I was so worried they would quarantine her which would have been terrible as she was totally fine.

It was amazing what concerted effort went into the clean up of the area though! It looked like a cordoned off crime scene for at least an hour while well protected staff cleaned like there had been a radioactive spill! I for one was quite impressed with the care they took to make sure the area was completely sanitized.

..they handled very well on Diamond in '05.. "precautions" like no salt shakers, no self serve at the buffet, etc. went into effect on day 2 with an announcement from bridge and it was lifted evening of day 5.. they obviusly contained it with vigorous cleaning and passenger cooperation.. it was a "bit" inconvenient but the alternative......

Hi There,

We were on the Sun when all hell broke out, the cruise before us had the bug.

We were not able to board for a number of hours as the ship was cleaned.

The racks the bags get put in for the fork lifts were cleaned.

The stairs and hand rails etc at the terminal were cleaned.

On board no self service

To common things, at buffet everything placed on your plate for you.

Everything being wiped down all the time.

Now as for hand rails there was a team doing nothing but walking around all day cleaning them.

Public loos closed off, others door kept open

At night every cabin door handle sprayed with bug killer took me a few days to under stand why my door handle was always wet

Hand cleaner everwhere. At the end of the cruise we were told that there was less ill folk on the ship compared to a normal cruise the cleaning was that good.

To follow this up on another cruise I became ill I reported to the ship that I was not well and went to my cabin, I got a phone call from the nurse, I said I had been sick, what happened next was a planned action plan, from Princess, another call from the nurse, the doctor, could see doctor free of charge, an officer, my room steward came, then a cleaner in full protective clothing, he cleaned the room with bug killer right down to TV controller and carpets switchs etc All bed sheerts towels etc were in red bags with bio hazard, another visit from a supervisor to check on cleaners work and another call from some one, this all happened within a hour or so, latter that day I got up told ship I was better room steward checked on me

I do not get that level of care back home.

yours Shogun

These details everyone is sharing are very interesting. So it seems like they don't actually make you see the doctor but will pay if you want to go.

I also wondered - Do they quarantine just the sick passenger or all staying in the cabin? What if you have kids staying the cabin with you when you get sick? Also do they clean the room just once?

I also have heard that the cleaner is bleach based and ofter ruins fabrics. People report having items replaced because of the contact with the bleach. Does Princess use bleach?

I wish the planes would wipe down between flights. That's where some folks get their bugs then spread them to cruisers. Ok bugs are everywhere but a seat that you are stuck in for a few hours is a definite possible contagion point.

Thanks for sharing.

Not sure about alcohol wipes? and the clorox ones can damage fabrics? So I'm not sure what to use for Noro.

I just noticed that johnmik reported 48 hour quarantines and others only had 24 hours. That would be a big difference if you were the one being quarantined. sill curious how they treat your cabin mates since they might spread the virus.

In my case I was quaranteened to the room--I only became ill about noon on the day before disembarkation--saw the DR.--gave me some shot that knocked me for a loop and some pills to take on a certain schedule--they cleaned my room twice in a very short period of time--I ate from room service--John was told he could go anywhere o the ship escept for the buffet

also--we were given white tags or whatever that lets you off the ship with the first group

The crazy or scary part of all of this is that about 1 am I found myself in the hallway--don't know how I got there--except I was looking for my luggage to put a pair of black slacks inside--I was carrying them up and down the hallway--I was in a very little--see through gown--I was looking for my room--but without contacts couldn't read the numbers well--when I finally figured out where I was and knocked on the door--John thought I had had a stroke or something--because I spoke so strangely about --couldn't find the house--up and down the street and other things--he blocked the door to the hall and also the balcony door--apparently the drugs did me in--I will say that I had no further episodes after leaving the Dr's office--Boy--that was a strong drug--not again

Nancy:D

I've read how many cruiselines handle the norovirus or stomach viruses.

How does Princess do it? I know they have the questionaire at boarding.

But if you get the virus on board, do they pay for a doctor's visit? do they quarantine you and for how long? How do they determine when the quarantine is over. How do they handle feeding you? Do you get more than the standard room service menu?

I've even read of one line that will reimburse you the cost of the cruise for the day you are quaratined. The rationale there is to get people to report when they are sick.

First hand info will be great. Thanks.

I can answer your question first-hand as my hubby and I were both sick on the Island Princess in July. There is no charge to visit the doctor with noro symptoms.

We were reimbursed for missed shore excurions only - nothing mentioned about reimbursing for a day of the cruise.

We were each quarantined for one day. The medication they gave us helps relieve the symptoms. We both got sick around the same time (midnight) but on different nights. We had fairly mild cases and were let out of our cabin 24 hours after becoming ill. However, it took me several weeks to totally get my appetite back. This was the first cruise we lost weight on.

As far as room service goes for meals - you really aren't hungry. I do not recommend the MISO soup - terrible. Our maitre'd from the dining room did us a special favor ( as we knew him from a previous cruise) and sent up some noodles with just a touch of butter in the evening.

Over all - it did not ruin our trip but it was a bit of a damper. I will be a bit nervous on our next cruise in February but hopefully it was just a once in a lifetime thing and it was our turn this time.

Feel free ask any other questions. I hope you don't have to use any of this information.

DH got it on the Diamond Princess early 2005.

He was so sick I had to get a wheel chair and take him to the Medical Office. There was no charge for the visit, the shot he got, nor the pills he was given. He was told he had to stay in his room for 2 days after the symptoms were gone. They sent him very bland food like potato and boiled chicken. and he was not able to order anything else.

I was not restricted to the room and was able to get room service for any items on the dining room menu but this had to be approved by the Medical dept.

For those of us who had Princess transfers on disembarkation there was a bus for those that had gotten the virus and those traveling with them. There was a separate disembarkation lounge for anyone that was quarantined and those traveling with them.

A special team cleaned the room and we never saw our room steward again.

Lisa H, Was the excursion you were reimbursed for through Princess or one you planned on your own?

Beside public restrooms, I have not seen anyone mentioned areas of the ship that were closed like the hot tubs, etc. I know they change how the food is served but do they actually ever close a public area or cancel activities?

Thanks for sharing.

Lisa H, Was the excursion you were reimbursed for through Princess or one you planned on your own?

Beside public restrooms, I have not seen anyone mentioned areas of the ship that were closed like the hot tubs, etc. I know they change how the food is served but do they actually ever close a public area or cancel activities?

Thanks for sharing.

The shore excursion was through the ship and to get the refund you had to visit the doctor and provide a doctor's note.

Somewhere here was mentioned only alocohol will kill the noro. I haven't been able to find them at Walmart, Walgreens or Safeway. Any ideas? Thanks

I've used a product before called Vira-block that is supposed to be antiviral, not antibacterial. No one traveling with us got sick but that could just be good personal hygiene as well. If you go to their website you can find a list of stores where it's for sale. - SF

www.antisepticausa.com

Unfortunately, I experienced a dreaded stomach virus last year during our Grand Med cruise.

I woke up in the wee hours of the night vomiting. Come morning, I had stopped but did not feel very well. Thought it may be the "motion of the ocean". I went to breakfast with DH, but just had a cup of tea. Realized I wasn't feeling great, so went back to the cabin where I slept the remainder of the day.

That night was the first formal night. I struggled into my formal clothes, and went off to dinner. Here I just pushed my food around on my plate while DH ate, and then we returned once again to the cabin.

Our cabin steward saw us returning and asked me if I was feeling any better. I said not really, and was just going to have an early night. Ten minutes later the telephone rang - it was the nurse. She was sending the doctor up. The cabin steward had obviously reported my illness.

The doctor arrived and was very kind. He looked me over, took my temperature and declared me "confined" for 48 hours to the cabin. What he did do, however, was backdate the 48 hours to actually commence when I had first vomited. He asked if we had any excursions booked for the next day (Athens) and would take care of cancelling them for us and having our account fully refunded. He then gave me a shot of something.

There was no charge for his visit, or the shot. The nurses called a couple of times to see how I was feeling (although I'm sure it was to ensure I was respecting the 48 hour confinement).

I was told I could order anything I wanted from room service - not just the usual fare. Needless to say I didn't want much. The hazmat-suited stewards came to clean the room a couple of times.

Once my confinement was over, the room was "fogged" and cleaned thoroughly.

I called the medical centre on the morning I was allowed out to ensure they had released by cruise card (I didn't want to be embarassed when trying to disembark).

Everyone was very gracious, and understood how disappointing it is to be locked in the cabin. I was upset, however at the same time certainly not well enough to be out and about. I thought it was handled very well.

Archived