UK Travel Insurance

RMVET

I'm trying to find travel insurance information for my brother-in-law in the UK who is joining us for the QE2 World Cruise, leaving January 13 from NYC. We would like to compare it to the insurance being offered by Cunard, which may or may not cover him for the extra days that he is coming over before the voyage and the few days he is staying after the voyage.

The problem is finding companies that will provide trip cancellation insurance to cover a world voyage. Most companies stop at 5,000 pounds. Also, finding a company that will combine trip cancellation with health insurance coverage for almost 100 days.

Have any UK travelers faced this problem. If so, can you recommend some insurance providers? Would really appreciate the help since my BIL doesn't have a computer.

Thank you.

I'm trying to find travel insurance information for my brother-in-law in the UK who is joining us for the QE2 World Cruise, leaving January 13 from NYC. We would like to compare it to the insurance being offered by Cunard, which may or may not cover him for the extra days that he is coming over before the voyage and the few days he is staying after the voyage.

The problem is finding companies that will provide trip cancellation insurance to cover a world voyage. Most companies stop at 5,000 pounds. Also, finding a company that will combine trip cancellation with health insurance coverage for almost 100 days.

Have any UK travelers faced this problem. If so, can you recommend some insurance providers? Would really appreciate the help since my BIL doesn't have a computer.

Thank you.

Your BIL may find that it's significantly cheaper to take out an annual insurance which would cover the 100 days away. I found that annual cover was up to £400 less than single trip cover. All major UK insurers will offer competitive quotes and they're listed in UK Yellow pages. I suggest he requests a specimen policy before committing to ensure all requirements are covered.

Thank you for your responses. My BIL's age of 69 may be a factor in what insurance he can get. That and the high level of trip cancellation coverage needed.

A U.S. agent told me that in the US you can take out two separate policies to cover the total coverage needed (supplemental, not double coverage). Does anyone know if you can take out more than one policy in the U.K. to obtain the total coverage needed? He was told No by one U.K. carrier. I can't see why not if you aren't covering more than the total cost of the trip between the two policies.

Most companies stop at 5,000 pounds.

Would really appreciate the help since my BIL doesn't have a computer.

Thank you.

Wow! How much does your b-i-l weigh? <G>

Seriously, the age and total amount of the trip will be a big cost factor when booking independent insurance. Cunard's policy is the same for all. You might check with Berkley Care, who covers Cunard Care (at least for some cruisses- not sure about UK) to see if you can add on through them;

The ohter thing to bear in mind. Most credit cards have some built in travel insureance. It is by no means comprehensive, but if he will be paying by cc, it is worth checking out that company's policies.

Karie,

who usually goes with Cunard care these days, and they are easy to work with

We live in the UK and had a similar problem to cover our world cruise next year. We were advised by our TA to go to our local insurance broker which is what we did. We got a 'tailor-made policy' as we are having a fortnight in Australia and sailing back to the UK on a sister ship. The insurance is with a well- known company in the Uk called Fortis. It was not cheap but cheaper than Pand O and was right for our needs. Our cover was for 101 days and also covered the high cost of cancellation for two people.

I'm sure only if you book them through them.

Karie

I agree. That sort of restriction is pretty standard.

There's a lot of small print to deal with. If you want to use their flight and go early, then you have to stay at one of the hotels they package with the flight. If we want to stay before or after a cruise, we book our own flights (generaly cheaper) and arrange insurance with our TA instead of the cruise line.

Kathy

Thank you for your responses. My BIL's age of 69 may be a factor in what insurance he can get. That and the high level of trip cancellation coverage needed.

A U.S. agent told me that in the US you can take out two separate policies to cover the total coverage needed (supplemental, not double coverage). Does anyone know if you can take out more than one policy in the U.K. to obtain the total coverage needed? He was told No by one U.K. carrier. I can't see why not if you aren't covering more than the total cost of the trip between the two policies.

Your BIL may find that it's less about age and more about specific medical conditions and overall health. Most companies have exclusions for existing conditions which they feel present (for them) an unacceptable level of risk. However, there are also companies which will provide separate cover for most medical exclusions. Again, it's worth shopping round to ensure the right policy. A visit to a broker, as suggested by another poster, is a good idea.

Fortunately, my BIL is in excellent health with no health conditions. That we should all be so fortunate at age 69!

The issue is the trip cancellation coverage for the world cruise, which is over the 5,000 pound limit on most policies.

Also, I am still interested in learning if anyone knows if you can buy two separate policies (second one to supplement coverage not covered on first policy). A U.S. agent says they do this all the time in U.S., but a U.K. agent told my BIL you can't do that.

I wish we were back in the days where we just traveled and didn't give insurance a thought!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RMVET,

I am booked on the world cruise on QE2 next year and also had a problem finding an insurer who would cover me for the full cost of the trip. The TA never suggested, and I never thought of, going to a broker and in the end I went with Cunard. I do have high blood pressure, which is very well controlled and has never been an issue with any other travel insurance I've had in the past, but today I've paid Cunard almost double the price of the main insurance (which I got very soon after booking the cruise) to get the BP covered. I'm sure you could do better with a broker.

As to your other questions I'm afraid I can't help you. A broker is your best bet.

Dear Adrenalinjunkie --

Thanks for your response. My brother-in-law has just about decided to go with the Cunard insurance. However, perhaps he should check a broker before making that final decision. Ordinarily, the insurance wouldn't be such an issue, but getting insurance for a world cruise (both cost and time) is something that most UK insurers don't cover.

Have a good voyage knowing that you are at least covered.

Archived