Which Hotel in Vancouver?

englishmum

I will be in Vancouver for 7 nights post cruise in June 2008,and I am wondering which hotel to book,and when is the best time to book,now or wait awhile? I want somewhere central,money is not the deciding factor,but I do like my creature comforts.I thought of the Pan Pacific but I gather that is some distance from the central region.I also considered the Pacific Palisades but have come across some negative reviews.I want a top class hotel central to all the tourist attractions,and would appreciate anyones opinion.

I will be in Vancouver for 7 nights post cruise in June 2008,and I am wondering which hotel to book,and when is the best time to book,now or wait awhile? I want somewhere central,money is not the deciding factor,but I do like my creature comforts.I thought of the Pan Pacific but I gather that is some distance from the central region.I also considered the Pacific Palisades but have come across some negative reviews.I want a top class hotel central to all the tourist attractions,and would appreciate anyones opinion.

The Pan Pacific is adjacent to Canada Place. Acroos the street is the Fairmont Waterfront. Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is a few blocks inland and more central but they all are about the same distance to Stanley Park, one of the main attractions. The Westin is also on the waterfront and an easy walk to Stanley Park.

Try the Hyatt, Sutton Place, Wedgewood or Sheraton Wall Center if you want to be closer to shopping - follow this link to get a good idea where the various hotels are located:

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

For some reason not all downtown hotels are on this map but it still gives a good idea of where they are located.

Remember downtown Vancouver is quite compact - so most attractions are not far apart.

Hope this helps and i would suggest booking early - Vancouver is a very popular tourist town and hotels are close to fill most nights in the summer and especially once the cruises start.

Cheers

Dennis

englishmum, if money's not a concern, then I'd book a cancellable reservation once you find something you like. You have lots of time to change if you find something better.

My choices for 'creature comforts' would be the Wedgewood, Sutton Place, Pan Pacific, Westin Bayshore, Fairmont Waterfront. Other than the Westin Bayshore, these are all within easy walking of downtown shops and restaurants.

What luxury hotels are recommended?

Wedgewood (smaller, boutique hotel)

Pan Pacific

Sutton Place

Fairmont Waterfront

Four Seasons (although I hear they're doing renovations)

Le Soleil

Westin Bayshore (more of a resort-style hotel)

_

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.I went online to book the Fairmont Waterfront but it came up as no rooms available for June 28th-July 5th,I thought this was a little odd to be fully booked so far ahead so I emailed the hotel.The response I got was that yes they were fully booked due to a large conference in house.Could anyone from Vanvouver let me know if there is something special going on during these dates,if so I need to book a hotel sooner rather than later.

• 4 weeks later...
Try the Hyatt, Sutton Place, Wedgewood or Sheraton Wall Center if you want to be closer to shopping.

Personally, I'd stay away from the Sheraton Wall Centre. We stayed there in August--though the property and rooms/beds are very nice, I've never encountered such rude staff anywhere in the world! I'll definitely never stay there again.

Cheers!

Jayne

It's not at all unusual for hotels in Vancouver to be booked far in advance. It's an extremely busy tourist city (cruise ships not included) as well as convention destination. I can't tell you what's coming up, but maybe somebody on here is in the hotel business and could give a heads-up. My best friend has been in the hotel business forever, but isn't in Vancouver any more...sorry. One thing that may make up-coming dates even busier than usual is 2010. It's possible that with the winter olympics approaching, more groups are booking events here before then since 2010 itself will be out of the question.

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Westin Bayshore. Our room was lovely and comfortable but small. Our view was looking down at a roof top of an office building. I would stay here again because overall it was a very nice hotel with excellent service. I loved the fact that the hotel is directly on the water. We took lots of walks on the waterfront and in Stanley Park which is right beside the hotel. The concierge was extremely helpful making reservations for day trips. We stayed here for 4 nights before our cruise and took a tour around the city, went to Victoria and visited Buchart Gardens. Vancouver is a gorgeous city and we are actually planning to go back and visit again.

From a locals view point - My favorite hotel is the Pan Pacific however the WEstin Bayshore is also very nice and so is the Hyatt and the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel all of which I have stayed in more than once.

The best part of the Pan Pacific prior to a cruise is you are above the cruise ship terminal and the bellman will deliver your luggage to the ship for you and all you have to do is ride the elevator down to the check in/cruise level.

We stayed at the Wedgewood last year when in Vancouver but this time we are doing a Rocky Mountaineer Tour and we end up at Sutton Place so we decided to book Sutton Place for our precruise visit as well. It will be interesting to compare the two hotels, especially as the Wedgewood is such a lovely boutique hotel.

Jennie

I have now booked a suite in La Grande Residence at Sutton Place.If anything else comes up I can always cancel but I feel happier knowing I now have somewhere to stay.

Aussie Gal,when are you doing your Rocky Mountaineer Tour? We are also doing this tour pre cruise.We start off in Calgary and finally end up in Vancouver then do our cruise on Serenade of the Seas,and then we have decided to stay for one week in Vancouver post cruise.We have also treated ourselves to the Gold Leaf upgrade,I hope it is worth the extra money.

Englishmum,

We are doing the Western Explorer tour that Rocky Mountaineer offers. We are not only doing the Gold Leaf but also the Deluxe version so it is actually costing us more p.p. than our 14 day cruise on the Tahitian Princess in a mini suite. It is hard to believe that an 8 day/7night tour with hardly any meals is costing so much!

We are doing it at the end of our cruise in September. We too are starting off in Calgary (flying from Vancouver) and finishing in Vancouver. I am hoping that the leaves will be starting to change so that we can see the lovely colours.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi-I apologize in advance is this duplicates itself. My computer went wonky on me for a minute. Does anyone have any info on this hotel in Vancouver? It sounds very appealing and seems close to both the pier and Stanley Park. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Happy New Year!!! Shelly

Hi-I apologize in advance is this duplicates itself. My computer went wonky on me for a minute. Does anyone have any info on this hotel in Vancouver? It sounds very appealing and seems close to both the pier and Stanley Park. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Happy New Year!!! Shelly

And a Happy New Year back at you!!

As a former Vancouver resident (I was born there), the Sylvia is one of those older hotels that many people seem to love. It was in grand shape last time I saw it, being right on English Bay and the beach.

It is quite close to the beach entrance to Stanley Park and you could easily walk there. But the park is extremely large and a car would be recommended.

However, it is not that close to Canada Place, where most cruise lines dock. You would need to take a cab and have it drop you and your luggage off on the lower level.

Hope all this helps!

It does help alot,esp. since I just found out that the Sylvia is booked for the date we need a hotel room. Can you recommend another that is closer to the pier and not too far away from the airport? Thanks very much, Shelly:)

Archived