Help us decide on a NCL cruise!

gabs22

My husband and I are looking to book a cruise leaving from NYC in April or May. It will be the first time we are leaving our son to go on vacation. (he is 15 months old) Our choices are:

Spirit to FL and Bahamas (6 days)

Dawn to Bermuda (7 days)

Gem to FL and Bahamas (7days)

We don't really like the itinerary to FL and Bahamas, but love the idea of cruising a new ship (Gem). The Spirit looks like a beautiful ship because of all the Asian accents, but heard the doorways can be smaller among other things due to it once being an Asian market ship. Is there really a big difference? My husband is a broad 6'1 guy :)

We would love to a book a suite if possible - we have cruised before in balcony cabins and just last month on the Crown Princess in a mini-suite, but would love to splurge this time! Any suggestions for specific category, etc?

Also when are the Spring Breaks next year?

Thank you so much for your feedback!!!

Hi, we cruised on the Dawn in July and really liked it. It's a very nice ship and we enjoyed the freestyle dining concept. I would never cruise to Florida, but have been to Bermuda twice and its beautiful. We have booked the Dawn for next summer to Bermuda.

Out of those three, I would pick the Dawn to Bermuda. I think spring break is the week of April 20th.

I'd immediately rule out the Spirit, mainly because of the 6 days. We've been on the Dawn on the Fla/Bahamas run, and enjoyed both cruises. We did have grandkids with us once, and of course the trip to Disney was important. On the other one, my brother had never been to Disney, so a visit to Epcot was key. The Bahamas was OK, but nowhere near the options in Bermuda, so not considering any price differentials, I'd go to Bermuda. My only reservation would be the port location vs. that of NCL's smaller ships, but a Dawn cruise to Bermuda sounds terrific to me.

• Administrators

Dawn has had the occasional "dreck" review here -- but if you spend any great length of time reading posts here on this board, you will see MANY posters who have sailed her many times. I think that's a kind of "shorthand" in the cruise world -- people who cruise often have choices, so if they choose the same ship again and again, there is a reason. Notice we are booked on the Dawn in '09, in part because of those happy passengers! ;)

If you want to splurge for a room I would definitly recommend the Dawn and get a Cat. AB room. The Dawn is a beautiful ship and these rooms are my favorites. Plus I think Bermuda would be a better locale for two people that want to spend some time together away from the little one for the first time. I know the Gem will be a great ship too but I think you'll like Bermuda better than the 6 day cruise..

While we are big fans of the Dawn (booked her to Bermuda in Oct. 08), we wouldn't recommend going to Bermuda (our favorite island) because the ocean water there is still too cool in April and early May for swimming. The Gem is a new ship and swimming is ideal in Florida and the Bahamas in April and May. We will be on the Gem in January, so look for our review.

As previously suggested, avoid the April 20th week when many public schools are closed. You never know when college kids are on spring break, so May might be a better time to cruise than April. Enjoy NCL, we always do.

My husband and I are looking to book a cruise leaving from NYC in April or May. It will be the first time we are leaving our son to go on vacation. (he is 15 months old) Our choices are:

Spirit to FL and Bahamas (6 days)

Dawn to Bermuda (7 days)

Gem to FL and Bahamas (7days)

We don't really like the itinerary to FL and Bahamas, but love the idea of cruising a new ship (Gem). The Spirit looks like a beautiful ship because of all the Asian accents, but heard the doorways can be smaller among other things due to it once being an Asian market ship. Is there really a big difference? My husband is a broad 6'1 guy :)

We would love to a book a suite if possible - we have cruised before in balcony cabins and just last month on the Crown Princess in a mini-suite, but would love to splurge this time! Any suggestions for specific category, etc?

Also when are the Spring Breaks next year?

Thank you so much for your feedback!!!

spring break can be anytime from the beginning of March to the week after Easter, the last week of April or 1st week of May is great cruising time, low rates, nice weather and few kids.

I have to admit, I think I would opt for the Gem even though the itinerary isn't quite as good, just the brand new ship experience is wonderful. As for the spirit, I really don't think hubby being 6'1" would be an issue. We are cruising her the first week of January with SIL who is 6'3' and on the big boy side.

Nita

While we are big fans of the Dawn (booked her to Bermuda in Oct. 08), we wouldn't recommend going to Bermuda (our favorite island) because the ocean water there is still too cool in April and early May for swimming. The Gem is a new ship and swimming is ideal in Florida and the Bahamas in April and May. We will be on the Gem in January, so look for our review.

As previously suggested, avoid the April 20th week when many public schools are closed. You never know when college kids are on spring break, so May might be a better time to cruise than April. Enjoy NCL, we always do.

We have cruised that period around APril 20th twice in the past 5 years, yes, lots of kids. The week after is almost kidles. as for spring break for the college crowd, that is much, much, earlier. In fact I don't think I would consider cruising after about mid May. Many colleges are now out by May 1, the lastest usually being Memorial weekend. That is why the rates jump up to quickly after May 15th.

Nita

Just got off the Spirit today. I'd rule it out...Food is HORRIBLE unless you eat in a speciality restaurant. Raffles is always cold, dried out and tasteless and the staff is very rude, unfriendly and lazy. Windows and the Garden were okay, at least the food was warm. Service was somewhat better there, also. The food ruins an otherwise nice cruise.

We were on the dawn in 2004 and were upgraded to the aft penthouse. It was gorgeous! I don't have the money to stay there otherwise. :(

I have already booked a balcony on May 4th's sailing on the Dawn to Bermuda :)

(regarding to the post above this one - I found the dawn's food better than the spirit's)

Archived