Need quick help on walking Pompeii

We have some folks who think they are not interested in joining our tour of Pompeii due to the walking conditions.

Can I get some info on the terrain? Totally flat, some climbing, places to sit for a minute and rest?

We are there end of October, so not worried about it being too hot......

Only one from their group is interested and they are meeting up today to discuss and make plans, so I really need this asap.

thanks so much!!

We have some folks who think they are not interested in joining our tour of Pompeii due to the walking conditions.

Can I get some info on the terrain? Totally flat, some climbing, places to sit for a minute and rest?

Only one from their group is interested and they are meeting up today to discuss and make plans, so I really need this asap.

thanks so much!!

You have to climb to get to the ruinsSits up on a hill)..it was hard for me as I have asthma,BUT I made it.Just any FYI.It is flat in the ruins,but the walking is very uneven as you are walking on the old Roman road/paths.You can pick your way around some of the area and some of the paths are just fine..it is not moderinized for the public,I think(IMHO) it would be a shame to miss seeing the ruins,but that is a purely personal choice.Hope this helps some.

I went with my mom last November -- she has some knee problems, but was able to walk it okay. There is a climb at the beginning (she didn't think it was too bad), and as cberge said, once inside you just have to watch your step as some of the "sidewalks" and paving are uneven in places.

There are not too many places to sit inside the ruins, if I recall. However, there are a couple of spots where you can exit early if you wish and right at the exit there are a number of benches (slightly shaded). When you exit there is a ramp (maybe a few steps) to walk down.

I agree, you enter at an uphill incline. The paths or streets have uneven coddle stones so watching your footing is a must; no wheelchairs for sure. I managed to stay in the shade as much as possible as the guide would explain each site. There is lots of walking so backs and feet can and do get tired. Another lady and I would lean or sit on a slab of granite when ever possible. If the member who does not want to go inside doesn't mind, there is a small refreshment stand and snack bar near the train depot, so they would wait there but you should allow about 2 hours for a decent tour.

Bon Voyage

thanks so much!!

Hi there - uneven and a fair amount of steps. I've got photos of the steps and terrain - if you give me your email, I will send you a link to my online photo album.

It was one of the highlights of our trip, hope you can make it. We arranged for a guide - and sooooo glad we did!

As mentioned, steps at the beginning then very uneven paving stones are the "streets". No benches, but you can sit on the "sidewalks" or larger stones. In many places, crossing from one sidewalk to another will be elevated and you must step down to the paving stones to cross, then up again. I wouldn't wear flip flops or anything like that. Very good athletic shoes needed. It was hot, crowded and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

My husband and I drove through Italy in '98, and stopped at an autostrada hotel between Naples and Pompeii. We drove to Pompeii ourselves, parked and walked around outside. There is really quite a bit you can see without actually paying to go inside. I really wasn't interested in seeing the museum with the actual gruesome remains of the people or the town at the time of their demise, so we opted to just walk around outside. There were lots of vendors (like a flea market) outside the actual entrance, I don't know if they are still there, but we didn't spend anything like 2-3 hours there, maybe an hour. I've seen the ruins of Greece and Italy before, and that's really not my thing, other than saying I've seen them, don't need an indepth narrated tour.

This trip I want to take my friend to see Pompei, briefly, then continue on the train to Sorrento. So it is possible to take the train from Naples to Pompeii and on to Sorrento and back to Naples in one day with no problem? Would you have to purchase the train ticket each way?

Sorry to disagree with agabbymama but Pompeii is very different to the other ruins of Greece and Italy. I am not a great fan of old ruins but Pompeii was unbelievable and I would not have missed it. You must go in and see it from inside, you see very little of it from the outside. There is a slope to get in but once inside it is fairly flat and although there are few benches etc there are numerous stone items you can rest on.

Does have anybody have a map or guide they followed to make their way through Pompeii.

You can buy a map of the ruins at the ticket booth and you can pick up a guide or join a small group at the entrance if you want to do a guided tour..price is very reasonable.

Archived