A little off topic..but question about underwater cameras...

boowaaccaa

I had the same issue last year here's what I found.

I bought a cheap digital camera that was water proof at Wal-mart, it was about $40. I took some pics in the house with it and they were horrible. So I returned it. The pics were grainy and dark.

Next I bought a underwater bag similar to the aqupac type and slipped my digital camera which normally takes great pics in it and they were really dark and somewhat blurry. I took that back too. I got it at BassPro.

I finally bought an underwater 35mm camera and then took the film to Wal-mart which developed it directly to a cd. It was $4-5 for the CD only without any pics, I believe if you order pics it's $2-3 additional for a cd. You can do the same with a cheapy 1x use camera took, which BTW often takes pics anyone would be happy with.

Thanks everyone.

yes, we have done the disposable camera thing but like another poster said we got 10 decent pics and 27 crappy ones. BUT it was a few years ago--maybe the techology is better now?

Thanks also for the tip on putting the pics on a disk---this is why I asked about the digital part--I could scan them but it would be better if they were on a disk.

We bought Kodak disposable underwater cameras for our cruise last year to take snorkeling. They took decent pictures, but the cameras did not have flashes on them so only pictures taken very close came out well.

Has anyone seen any disposable underwater cameras that do have flashes??

I looked up this site http://www.ecamerafilms.com/category_s/36.htm that was posted on page 1 of this post. They had a digital camera with flash on it. It is a vivatar 6200w, 6 mega pixel for $179.95. Not sure if this is what you are looking for. You have to go to digital cameras and from there underwater cameras. Hope this helps!

I know you asked about digital, but the Canon SureShot wp-1 is a really good 35mm underwater camera. I got one for my friend on e-bay last year for our cruise and it took some really good snorkeling pictures. Much better then the one time kind, that I used the year before. I think I paid $36.00 for it that included shipping. I just got one for my sister for our cruise next month and paid $28.00 for it. Just to give you another opption.:D

I know you asked about digital, but the Canon SureShot wp-1 is a really good 35mm underwater camera. I got one for my friend on e-bay last year for our cruise and it took some really good snorkeling pictures. Much better then the one time kind, that I used the year before. I think I paid $36.00 for it that included shipping. I just got one for my sister for our cruise next month and paid $28.00 for it. Just to give you another opption.:D

Did you buy this on e-bay also? Or do you know if you can purchase it in a store?

Thanks

I am just off the Miracle yesterday and in the gift shop, over by the rechargeable batteries, they and an underwater, I believe disposable, digital camera. It was nowhere near the good cameras. It said it took 75 pictures, I think. I tried to search the web, but I'm not finding anything.

http://www.ecamerafilms.com/category_s/36.htm

On the link that I provided a few days ago, they've got a disposable underwater camera that has a flash... it's only about $6 on their site.

sorry... it's a RELOADABLE camera... not a disposable. If you double click on the attachment, you'll see a larger picture

We bought a Fujifilm WP-FXA500 housing and the Fujifilm A500 before our cruise last year (from Amazon), a good digital combo that cost us about $200 and should be cheaper now (or other Fuji models with better features may be equally affordable). For our pics browse my Flickr pics tagged underwater.

BUT, be warned... to make digital pics taken underwater look better, you may need to use photo tweaking software to adjust the contrast and white balance. All my pics were exposure adjusted in Photoshop.

And underwater, it's hard to see the LCD display so you'll probably end up just kind of pointing the darn thing towards your target and clicking. But that's OK, with a good memory card and fresh batteries you can click away...

I have an Olympus e300 DSLR which has available underwater housings but they are too expensive for just the odd occasional pictures snorkeling. Good (but expensive) option if you scuba frequently.

Archived