Transporation to/from NYC Area Airports To Mid-town Manhattan

bethany24

We're less than a month from our cruise from NYC on the NCL Dawn.

We're traveling with our 19-month old son. He'll be required to sit in a car seat when traveling by car.

Our concern is getting him from Laguardia Airport to our hotel in Mid-town Manhattan. We're taking his car seat b/c he has his own seat on the airplane. It's too far of a flight to have him in our lap.

What has been your experience in getting the car seat in the back seat of the taxi cab?? Are the cabbies helpful??

The car seat we have is fairly easy to install although a bit time consuming b/c you have to make sure it's secured. We're not sure of excursions as we may just do our own thing.

Any experiences you can share would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Bethany24

Here is my advice, I lived in NYC with an infant. Some are helpful in waiting and some are not. Some cabbies will even charge you time for installing the car seat because every minute is money to them (explains the crazy driving!).

If you could swing it with the money I would actually suggest this:

http://www.amazon.com/SitnStroll-5-n-1-Combination-Carseat-Stroller/dp/B0006UF43M

You can find them on Ebay and craigslist for about 1/3 the cost of a new one.

We have had ours for three years and it is still holding up perfect for the three year old. The best part is that it has a huge sunshade for the ports. We even use this when we go to the movies with him because it keeps him contained. When we took it on a cruise we used it for dinner also because it fit perfectly on the chair and in booths for dining. There is no installation, you just buckle the seatbelt across the seat.

Also unless you have a tag on your carseat that says FAA certified some airlines will not let you bring one onboard for your child to sit in. I cannot tell you how many times we are asked when flying if it is FAA certified and my son flies about every 10 weeks.

have been in nyc many times with kids. never used a car seat. however, if you are at the airport, there is a long line of cabs waiting and airport staff at the curb "directing", i'd imagine that they would help/wait. if you are really worried, hire a car service in advance. i remember it not being too much more than a cab. ($100 instead of $60, depending on the airport)

If possible, take a van cab rather than one of the regular car-type cabs. The car-type cabs have windows installed between the back seat and the driver and it's horribly small inside the back seat. At least with the van-type cabs, you'll have much more room to move around and install the car seat. Plus, there's more room for your luggage in vans. But, my own recommendation is to hire a private car service. Whenever I've flown into LGA, the lines for cabs have been terribly long---during busy times, I've waited in line for an hour.

if you are really worried, hire a car service in advance. i remember it not being too much more than a cab. ($100 instead of $60, depending on the airport)

I would second this recommendation. The driver will be waiting for you outside of security with a sign and will help with the luggage. You'll have a much easier journey with a lot less stress. I would just enter "new york airport car service" into your favorite search engine and see what comes up.

Archived