Why are transatlantic cruises so cheap?

freezing

Most repos are cheaper because they are tweeners. Say the TransAtlantic you mention usually does not have a full set of European ports nor Caribbean ports. Its a tweener......

There is also, as mentioned above, lots of sea days.

The other fact is the cost of flights (because they are not round trippers) probably turn off lots of folks. When they add it up sometimes they may find (or think) the savings on the cruise are negated by the additional air cost.

We have taken a couple and they are great. We have gotten great prices, been able to get reasonable airfares and we like sea days. The Panama Canal repos I would definitely recommend.

I'm not sure I'd like to be in the North Atlantic in the fall. Are the seas rougher on the transatlantic cruises?

Most of these cruises cross between the UK and the Caribbean or The Med and the Caribbean and they usually call in at the Canaries or Madeira they then sail south west and then west across the Atlantic at very low Latitudes mostly within the Tropics in an area called the Doldrums. This area is given this name for its light winds. Therefore most of these crossings should have good weather and calm seas.

The only ships to cross on a more northerly course are QE2 and QM2 which are liners and have been built for this.

I agree that these types of cruises are excellent, in value and because they give you, lovely long days at sea. That is what Cruising is all about.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

So I take it we are going to freeze and not be able to use our balcony when we go from Barcelona to New York in November?

If you are taking a more southerly route, you may luck out with better weather than we had further north. I have friends who sailed from Europe (not England like we did) to Florida and had great weather.

You'll have a great time regardless of the weather. Enjoy each mild day as it comes. Please come back and let us know how the weather was.

So I take it we are going to freeze and not be able to use our balcony when we go from Barcelona to New York in November?

Hi,

Fully agree with RMVET, your ship will stay in the lower latitudes and then run up the east coast to New York.

Have a great time.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

This is the reply to freezing .... $499 is probably aft inside cabin on deck 2!! Note the "from" word in the phrase: from $499.

Since the ship goes at faster speed transatlantic, so expect some gentle swaying motion. Quite a few people get unwell during the first couple of days or so until they get used to it.

The 15 days cruise you mentioned definitely includes some ports of call - at the beginning and at the end of the ocean crossing. The crossing itself takes only 5 or 6 days.

What's the price for a mid-ship cabin with window (no balcony)?

This is the reply to freezing .... $499 is probably aft inside cabin on deck 2!! Note the "from" word in the phrase: from $499.

Since the ship goes at faster speed transatlantic, so expect some gentle swaying motion. Quite a few people get unwell during the first couple of days or so until they get used to it.

The 15 days cruise you mentioned definitely includes some ports of call - at the beginning and at the end of the ocean crossing. The crossing itself takes only 5 or 6 days.

What's the price for a mid-ship cabin with window (no balcony)?

Since there can be more motion of the ship going transatlantic, I always take some Bonine or other motion sickness medication before sailing. That way I prevent motion sickness before it starts. Once I get my sea legs, I stop taking it. I have been seasick, and I don't want to have it get a start on me. Was caught on the North Sea during the worse storm they had in 30 years!

On our last crossing, I took ginger capsules, which were great and don't make you drowsy. Some ships keep bowls of candied ginger near the doors of the dining room. After dinner, take a piece and chew it. It is sweet and spicy and its amazing how it calms the stomach.

If you do start to feel queasy, make sure you eat!!! Have a dry bread roll or crackers. Do not go around with an empty stomach. It will make you feel worse. Get fresh air, and stare at the horizon, which will help to adjust your equilibrium. In no time, you'll start feeling better. But eat!!!

Archived