Just Wondering: Is taking the kids on a cruise by myself even feasible???????????????

momofmn00

Just Wondering: Is taking the kids on a cruise by myself even feasible????

DH & I have decided to seperate after 8.5 years of marriage. :(

We just cruised this past Feb (w.o kids) and have had plans of cruising NEXt Oct with the Kiddos.

But now, plans seem to be at a halt. Now what, I say? I would still like to go and for sure KNOW the kids want to go as they are already talking about 'when they cruise', but wodering how crazy I am gonna be for wanting to take them on a vacation as a single mother...:confused:

I people probably do it everyday, I'm sure! But did you feel more stressed than before you left????

I don't really even know how I'll even swing it, but I will make it work...

I think it's very doable!!

With your kids being of that age, they will be able to participate in many on-board activies that are kid friendly. For instance, NCL offers the Kid Crew for kids older than 2. From what I gather they group kids according to age and let them hang out. This is nice because it gets them active and it gives you a moment to have some peace & quiet!!

Do you have your cruise booked?? Where will you be cruising too??

Being that your cruise isn't until next year you have lots of time to research each port and allow each of your kids to select a site to see or an activity to participate in.

I'm sure lots of single parents have cruised before with their kids and they can give you more in depth insight to planning, etc...

Do you have a grandparent or special aunt, uncle, family friend who'd be willing to come along?? That would be another option, too.

Best of luck

Bethany24

I am taking my 6-year old DD on a cruise next month without DH. My friend Jill is coming too (separate cabin) and bringing her two girls (5 and 7) by herself too. Mind you we will be there to back each other up, but there is so much for the kids to do. When I asked my DD recently what was her favorite part of our last cruise (her first cruise - on the Pride this last April), she replied without hesitation "Camp Carnival!"

The kids will probably even be in the same age grouping so they'll be together, and you will get some time to relax. Also, at that age, they don't require the same kind of intense energy and running after that say a 2-year-old requires. I think you should definitely go, and have a great time with your kids!:)

Oh you have to GO! I did it without my husband. He didn't want to take time off and I couldn't say no to a great cruise deal. ;) And my kids are younger than yours. And we had a great time.

I have often threatened to take the hubby off the cruise reservations when he complains about "going on another cruise" :rolleyes: . I did it once and I could do it again! :D

I think this might be exactly what you need after something like this. What a great way to heal. You'll get to relax. Be pampered. The kids can enjoy the clubs while you take some time for yourself.

I say do it!

My kids are 8 and 10 and I have been a single mom since 2001 (they were 2 & 4 at the time). I have taken them on vacations all over the country by myself including a cruise to the Caribbean this past February. It was, by far, the best trip. They had a great time at the kids club. I had a great time having quiet time. We are going on another cruise over Thanksgiving with the big family and I can't wait. Cruising with kids by yourself is doable and fun. They are going to be going through a lot no matter what you do to protect them. They wil need to get away just as much as you will. ;)

I have always been a single mom, and have taken my son, who is now 10, EVERYWHERE with me. We have our first "alone" cruise planned for April (my parents were with us on his first), but I took him to Jamaica, just the two of us, for four nights, and we have done tons of land traveling together. Your kids are at a great age, and you will have a fabulous time. Definitely go for it!!

I just returned from Alaska with a 3 and 6 year old, and would do it again in a heartbeat! They loved the kids club (which is what made it work for us, to be honest), and I had a great balance between "me" time and "kid" time. The only rough times were getting everyone moving in the morning, but room service helped a lot with that (food for the kids, coffee for me ;) ).

GO -- you and the kids will have a wonderful time.

My son is almost 8 and I've been travelling alone with him for the past 4 years. He and I look forward to our vacations so much, especially the quality time that we have and the wonderful memories that we'll make.

In the past we've travelled with both my mom and grandmother on seperate occasions and as much as I love that, I feel like my son behaves better and enjoys the trip more when it's just he and I. The best part of travelling alone is doing whatever you want, whenever you want.

The other tip I can offer is that when my son was younger and even sometimes now, I would feed him dinner at the buffet restaurant and take him to the kids club while I went to the dining room alone. I always ask for a large table so that I'm never really eating "alone". This arrangement works very well because my son loves being in the kids club and we get a break from each other.

Anyway, have a great trip!!

I think you should definitely go! My son and I are always doing weekend get aways alone and have a great time. I did my first cruise alone since my divorce even though other family members were there, my DS who was 4 at the time was still very clingy to me since the separation. We had a great time and he would NOT use the kid's club. We are leaving in three weeks (less :D) this time just the two of us and we can't wait. He is looking forward to the kids club this time. I think the ages of your kids would be great. Last cruise we had so many obligations with my sister's wedding. This time we are on our time line, which is absolutely nothing... He can't wait to dress up for formal night.

Thanks to all of the replys and support!!!
I am definately still going!!! We will surley be utilizing Camp Carnival often (when I start to feel stress!!!) but I think We will indeed have a good time.

And of course the warm breezes and salty air will be a great relaxation tool too! Just wish it was sooner!!!!! I think I might have to check into something sooner (maybe shorter, but who cares?) I NEED TO DE-STRESS!!!!:rolleyes:

What kind of room do you all suggest me getting??? I don't think I can do an inside room (although a little cheaper not much~ONLY A $20 dollar difference~TOTAL!!!:eek: ) But the price difference between an Oceanview and a blacony is $350 total...:confused:

What better way to vacation as a single parent than to take a cruise? I seem to recall you were considering various rooming options such as connecting rooms (in a different thread). Unless you want to pay the single supplement, I'm assuming you will now share a single stateroom with the kids? If I were travelling alone with my two kids (same ages), I'd go for the OV or balcony, just so I don't get claustrophobic and stressed dealing with the kids while in the room! If you get the balcony, at least there's a place to find some peace after they're asleep. Either way, make good use of the Camp Carnival to give yourself some personal time. Good luck!

Yes, I was just concidering either a oceanview or a balcony.

I'm thinking....

YES! I AM GONNA PAY THE EXTRA AND DO A BALCONY!!!!!

I think having it will be a nice place for me to relax when the kids are asleep or when we just want a quiet place to lounge...

I have already started warning the kids about the balcony and how they ARE NOT allowed on it without an adult...:rolleyes: :D

Thanks for everyones' help and support...

I am not a single mother but have not had any problems taking my 4 kids ( 10,9,8& 7) by myself including a drive from Ohio to Florida ( 20+ hours) will be doing a Christmas cruise in December( grandeur leaving Dec. 24th) by myself with my 4 children and will also be making the long drive from Ohio to Florida again.

(My kids were always home with me and also homeschooled for 4 year so maybe I am just use to having them with me a lot thats what makes it so doable ?)

Sorry to hear about your divorce and I wish you the best of luck :) Sounds like you need a vacation to destress :)

YES! I AM GONNA PAY THE EXTRA AND DO A BALCONY!!!!!

Good choice ;)

I am so excited for you. You are going to have such a great time. I wish I could add on another OCT cruise and I could join ya. :D

BTW, don't forget to join the ROLL CALL for that sailing. It will be nice to "know" some people before you sail.

A cruise vacation is by far the best way to travel alone w/ kids. I have cruised over 10 times and love it. I have a 10 y/o dd and we now go every year just the two of us. My dh doesnt like to cruise, like I do, so 4 years ago We went by ourself and have every year since. It is the hassle free vacation. You dont have to worry about car rentals, & driving to the resort. Your luggage is taken care of. You can have a glass of wine with dinner and not have to worry about driving around a strange city with your kids. The kids progarms are super and they have a great time there, allowing you some well needed R&R. Cruises are ment to help bring people together so you might be suprised that you may even make some friends.

I have to say I would do the balcony. I'v done all room types and the balcony is a peaceful spot for you anytime. Be warned though you wont want to cruise in any other room, you will be spoiled:D Check the roll call boards to see who's on board with you HAVE A GREAT TIME:cool:

You really should take this cruise! Right now you're probably feeling overwhelmed with everything that's happening, but in a couple of weeks you'll be a PRO! Who knows, by next October you might have a special someone to bring along on the cruise with you!

And definitely join the roll call. By the time you sail you'll have lots of new Cruise Critic friends.

You go girl!

Who knows, by next October you might have a special someone to bring along on the cruise with you! I doubt it...but who knows right!

And definitely join the roll call. By the time you sail you'll have lots of new Cruise Critic friends. I will definately join the roll call so at least I will 'know' a few people on board and maybe even find some people to hang out with when the kids are at Camp Carnival!!!

A cruise vacation is by far the best way to travel alone w/ kids....The kids progarms are super and they have a great time there, allowing you some well needed R&R.

RELAXING IS DEFINATELY WHAT I NEED!!!!!

I have to say I would do the balcony. I'v done all room types and the balcony is a peaceful spot for you anytime. Be warned though you wont want to cruise in any other room, you will be spoiled:D

Definately going to do the BALCONY!!!!!

If you like to read - take one of those mini book lights and sit on the balcony at night. I do this with DH or not - it becomes my sanctuary. HUM...I don't read too much with all that is going on...but I will definately take a book...and read....

Thanks to everyone that pumped me up!!! I am definately still going to cruise~

I think my biggest scare is drivng to port...I hate big cities...BUT that just makes me want ot fly!!! :rolleyes:

Either way, thanks to eveyone and all your support! I am sure this trip will be just what my kiddos and I will need!!!:)

You're going to have a wonderful time!! The roll call is definitely a great idea, too. I'll never go on another cruise without joining the roll call first. On our last one, our daughter met a friend and they stuck together like glue for the entire cruise. Maybe you'll find some families on your roll call, and not just adults to socialize with.

Have fun!!

Archived