Hawaiian Cruise - What Should I Choose???

seamare

I guess I've waited too long to decide on my winter cruise - have always done the caribbean but this year wanted to go to Hawaii. My first choise would be the Pride of Aloha departing on Feb 13 for 10 days but that cruise is sold out. There is space available on the Feb 2 departure (my thought that is a little early in our Michigan winter.

There is also a March 15 - 26 date but Easter falls on March 23 - do you think that would be a problem with lots of kids and families??

Or should I go with the 7 day Pride of America? From what I see, the only difference is missing the sea days and not stopping at Lahaina, Maui.

What do people think about the one that goes to Fanning???

I hope that some veteran Hawaiin cruiser might help me decide which one to choose - thank you.

I guess I've waited too long to decide on my winter cruise - have always done the caribbean but this year wanted to go to Hawaii. My first choise would be the Pride of Aloha departing on Feb 13 for 10 days but that cruise is sold out. There is space available on the Feb 2 departure (my thought that is a little early in our Michigan winter.

There is also a March 15 - 26 date but Easter falls on March 23 - do you think that would be a problem with lots of kids and families??

Or should I go with the 7 day Pride of America? From what I see, the only difference is missing the sea days and not stopping at Lahaina, Maui.

What do people think about the one that goes to Fanning???

I hope that some veteran Hawaiin cruiser might help me decide which one to choose - thank you.

I say anything is better than all winter in Michigan. I'm from Michigan and winter gets REALLY long.

Ruthann

We're on the 11 day - beginning of Feb. Lake Erie winters are 'fun', too--we're in the snow belt. We went on a Caribbean cruise in '05 in Feb. also. It really breaks up the time between the holidays and spring. We wanted only Hawaii- not Fanning Island- so our time would be on the islands only- and after all day in the plane on both ends. You can see my itinerary on the Hawaii board. The $ is better on the 11, plus you get Oahu overnight so you don't have to spend $ in a hotel- though we are coming in the day before- in case a storm makes us late.

We were in your position several months ago and went with a 10 day Aloha sailing in Jan (it seems it's now sold out). Price was about the same as a 7 day sail on the other ships so we went with what to us was a better itinerary. But hey, you may want to consider a 7 and then a bit of a shore based stay in Honolulu.

Hi, I never cruised to Hawaii,but sister did in May2005 on NCL lines, and she said the seas were very rough from LA. The ship cancelled the trip to Fanning Island, because of some engine problems. She said the crew told her that it was a good thing not to go to Fanning Island, that the seas were so rough going to Fanning Island, even the crew gets seasick going there. I've flown to Hawaii 3x's, and you don't want to miss Maui,it's the best!!! Hope this helps

;) We are from Michigan also and are the POA March 1, 2008 cruise. The March 1, POA cruise is a Sat to Sat cruise. I think this is best because if you want you go early just leave home on Friday and if your flight is delayed on the way home you can still get to work on Monday. Also, the prices are lower on this cruise than some of the other weeks. We are in a Family Suite just in case our daughter decides to come with us.

I AM from Hawaii, so we go back a lot. We took all our 18 kids and grandkids there a couple of years ago and had the Fanning cruise. What a horrible waste of time. Also the ship did not dock in Lahaina anyway. Where the ship docks in Maui is only about 40 minutes (depending on traffic) from Lahaina and it is better than wasting two days to get to an island with no electricity, etc., etc. Take the cruise that stays in the islands. We have booked on the Pride of America for next July with the same crowd again and are looking forward to no Fanning. We live in Newport Beach, cA now, and the waters around here are rough. The trip to Hawaii from here IS rough. I don't get motion sickness, but my husband does and he could never make it. Also all those sea days are boring. Just flying over and doing that island thing is the best, to me it seems. Have a good one!

I would go during Easter if that's the cruise you really want to do.

I cruise every Easter break (see my signature) and have never really had a big issue with kids. I would think especially in Hawaii, as you are in port most of the time.

Just my 2 cents

I am on the 2/13 Pride of Aloha sailing. Final payment is due 11/30. I wonder if rooms will open then. We have friends who want to join us but have procrastinated. I guess they should be pitied.:rolleyes:

There is also a singles group that has payment due 11/7. Maybe they are holding rooms that will be released after that date.

Hi, I never cruised to Hawaii,but sister did in May2005 on NCL lines, and she said the seas were very rough from LA. The ship cancelled the trip to Fanning Island, because of some engine problems. She said the crew told her that it was a good thing not to go to Fanning Island, that the seas were so rough going to Fanning Island, even the crew gets seasick going there. I've flown to Hawaii 3x's, and you don't want to miss Maui,it's the best!!! Hope this helps

I've been to Fanning and it wasn't rough going and coming back, but we had to leave the island early becaues the tenders were having problems with the waves. I loved the island.

Also keep in mind that ANY port can be cancelled due to rough seas. We missed Maui, too.

Viv

I am on the 2/13 Pride of Aloha sailing. Final payment is due 11/30. I wonder if rooms will open then. We have friends who want to join us but have procrastinated. I guess they should be pitied.:rolleyes:

There is also a singles group that has payment due 11/7. Maybe they are holding rooms that will be released after that date.

We are on the Feb. 2 Pride of Aloha sailing and our payment is due November 1 so it's possible a bunch of rooms may open up in November.

Archived