Venice, Italy hotels

:cool:

We will be leaving from Venice and plan to spend a day before and after the cruise to explore Venice. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations ?

Have just the place. My daughter spent a semester in Rome, and we went to Venice for a few days. Found a great little, and inexpensive hotel for you. Located about a 10 min walk from St Marks, and about 2 minutes from a canal boat stop. Locanda Art Deco Hotel. www.locandaartdeco.com. Serve breakfast in morning. Piazza around corner with outdoor restaurants. Restaurant and grocery store across from front door. Check it out. :cool:

:)

:cool:

Have just the place. My daughter spent a semester in Rome, and we went to Venice for a few days. Found a great little, and inexpensive hotel for you. Located about a 10 min walk from St Marks, and about 2 minutes from a canal boat stop. Locanda Art Deco Hotel. www.locandaartdeco.com. Serve breakfast in morning. Piazza around corner with outdoor restaurants. Restaurant and grocery store across from front door. Check it out. :cool:

We stayed there in May this year, and really liked the location, the room, and the breakfasts. I would ask if there is a room on the back side of the building. Our friends had a room on the front of the building and said the bar / restaurant below was a little noisy at night. We were in the junior suite, which is on the back side of the building, right beside the breakfast area and we did not have any noise problems (either from outside or from the breakfast in the morning).

ETA: If you are concerned about schlepping luggage over bridges, this is one hotel where there are no bridges between the vaporetto stop and the hotel.

We will be leaving from Venice and plan to spend a day before and after the cruise to explore Venice. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations ?

There a lots of hotels (mostly small ones) in Venice and everyone has their favorites (usually wherever THEY have stayed)...

I myself, have stayed at four--Sofitel, Capri, Carlton and Anastasia--and would recommend any of them...

But, rather than tell you which precise hotel to stay at, allow me to give you some things to consider...

First, there is the basic choice of "Venice Proper" or outside...Some folks suggest Mestre as an option...it's on the mainland, near the airport. If you're only concern were flying in and out, it's convenient--to the airport at least, not to the ship or to Venice...and you miss all of the excitement and culture of being IN Venice...Other folks will stay on a nearby resort Island such as Lido...But that's not recommended for short stays as it is logistically and geographically undesirable...and again, you're not really in the heart of Venice...

So, once you realize that you want to be in Venice Proper, there are lots of different areas and there are hotels everywhere...The two areas most desired are "near San Marco" and "near Piazzale Roma"...

San Marco is the location of the Cathedral, the Doges' Palace and a lot of the main tourist attractions...Piazzale Roma is the hub of all of the transportation systems--it is the only place on the island reachable by bus, taxi or car...the RR station is right across the Grand Canal and the cruise ship terminal is nearby (walkable-long, but better served by free shuttle buses)...It is also a short walk from here to the Ghetto...

Logistics is often a key for many in Venice...Schlepping luggage on foot can be hard--stone streets, lots of bridges...So, the big question for most is "how do I get my luggage from the airport to the hotel to the ship?"...That question always becomes one step simpler if staying near P. Roma...Another way to make it simple is to book a hotel anywhere in Venice with a dock and to take a water taxi--though a lot of folks find that solution to be too expensive...

The cheapest way is the #5 bus from the airport to P. Roma, to stay in a hotel walking distance from there and just walk it. If you stay near San Marco, the "cheap" solution is to just schlepp your luggage onto a Vaporetti (the public bus/boat system--it's the #1 or #82 P. Roma to San Marco down the Grand Canal--figure a half an hour with stops for this leg)...You can buy a 24 hour or 72 hour pass which actually includes the #5 bus as well...

Once in your hotel in Venice and the luggage stowed away, you can actually get ANYWHERE in Venice from wherever your hotel is quite easily on foot or by Vaporetti. I recommend buying a copy of the AAA Spiral Guide-Venice. It's got great maps, including Vaporetti route maps as well as great suggested walking tours.

Okay, back to MY hotels...

The Capri, Carlton and Sofitel are all walking distance from the Piazzale Roma. The Anastasia is a small 17-room boutique hotel right next to San Marco and a short walk from the Valaresso Vaporetti stop.

http://anastasia.hotelinvenice.com/main_en.htm?source=

http://www.carltongrandcanal.com/en/

http://www.hotelcapri.net/en/index.htm

http://www.sofitel.com/sofitel/fichehotel/gb/sof/1313/fiche_hotel.shtml

Good luck...

I stayed at Palazzo Vitturi for three nights. It's in a quiet square (Santa Maria Formosa) and 10 minutes from Ponte Rialto and Piazza San Marco.

The rooms are new (well, it was new in 2005) and BIG. Not just "big for Venice" but BIG for a hotel room and same with the bathroom. The staff is also very nice and helpful.

Here's the link: http://www.hotelpalazzovitturi.com/

And the reviews on TripAdvisor.com: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d529141-Reviews-Palazzo_Vitturi-Venice_Veneto.html

I stayed at Palazzo Vitturi for three nights. It's in a quiet square (Santa Maria Formosa) and 10 minutes from Ponte Rialto and Piazza San Marco.

The rooms are new (well, it was new in 2005) and BIG. Not just "big for Venice" but BIG for a hotel room and same with the bathroom. The staff is also very nice and helpful.

Here's the link: http://www.hotelpalazzovitturi.com/

And the reviews on TripAdvisor.com: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d529141-Reviews-Palazzo_Vitturi-Venice_Veneto.html

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I was just quoted $648 per night for a two night say in Oct. While this hotel looks nice, that's way above my budget. Original OP didn't state her budget, but be prepared for sticker shock.

I'm looking for around $145-165. Think I'll stick with Mestre for now anyway. Can't book this far out for Oct '08, so I'll keep looking.

agabbymama, We stayed in a nice no frills hotel a few blocks (2 bridges) from Plazza Roma for 95E a night. Hotel Dalla Mora is a clean 1 star hotel with a nice breakfast. You can check their web site and read reviews on trip advisor. We will be staying there again in May when we return to the Med.

agabbymama, We stayed in a nice no frills hotel a few blocks (2 bridges) from Plazza Roma for 95E a night. Hotel Dalla Mora is a clean 1 star hotel with a nice breakfast. You can check their web site and read reviews on trip advisor. We will be staying there again in May when we return to the Med.

Thank you for the link to what looks like a great little place Eileen G. I've saved to my favorites. When the time gets closer, I'll be making my decision. I'm praying for the dollar to gain some strength so maybe prices will come down a little.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I was just quoted $648 per night for a two night say in Oct. While this hotel looks nice, that's way above my budget. Original OP didn't state her budget, but be prepared for sticker shock.

I'm looking for around $145-165. Think I'll stick with Mestre for now anyway. Can't book this far out for Oct '08, so I'll keep looking.

I stayed here in 2005 right after it opened. I believe we paid $600 for 3 nights. I guess the word got out and they raised the prices.

wow! it took a huge tumble in the last two days since the reserve dropped interest rates. not good for you guys but fantastic for the rest of us

newfarmers

I could have gone all day without being reminded of that. Nothing like rubbing salt in the wounds.:p :(

In addition to the Hotel Dalla Mora, I have found Locanda Antica Venezia quoting $122 per night for a double. I can't really book yet, as Oct '08 is over 330 days out, so don't know if that rate will hold up when it actually comes time to book, but it's pretty close to San Marco Piazza for the price to be so reasonable.

We leave from Venice on the Costa Serena on November 4th....wonder if we are the only ones on board since I cannot find anyone else going that week. I spent several weeks doing on-line research for a reasonably priced hotel in Venice in a decent location and ended up booking the Hotel All'Angelo (see www.hotelallangelo.com) which is about 300 feet from St. Mark's.......and it also has a private dock if you desire to take a private water taxi.......we started to consider it until we checked out the prices!!! We are doing this hotel for pre-cruise and wanted to book it also for post-cruise but decided against it due to our 6AM flight out of Venice and having to pay a private water taxi over $200 U.S. to get from the hotel to the airport at that time of morning.....on our return, we are staying at the Courtyard Marriott at the Venice airport.....both hotels are priced at about $140 per night.

Is anyone else going on the Costa Serena on November 4th?

Archived