Tipping question

sandravb79

I know from other boards that tipping threads can get heated. But I really need help.

I come from a country where we don't tip, so I would really like to know what is the norm to tip

- maitre d'

- room service

- spa

anyone else I forgot?

Do you give additional tips to the people who are already "covered" in the daily ipping amount that Carnival charges you?

Please, don't flame me or each other, but please help me out!

I know from other boards that tipping threads can get heated. But I really need help.

I come from a country where we don't tip, so I would really like to know what is the norm to tip

- maitre d'

- room service

- spa

anyone else I forgot?

Do you give additional tips to the people who are already "covered" in the daily ipping amount that Carnival charges you?

In the US it's generally the custom to tip for services rendered. I didn't tip the matre D because I didn't need him to do anything for me. If he does something for you, then I recommend tipping him/her. Room service, yes definitely tip at least a couple of dollars depending on what you order. I didn't use the spa services, but if I did, I would have tipped them also.

We gave additional tips to the wait staff and our cabin team because they were really great and deserved more. If you don't feel that they deserve more than the standard tips, then you don't have to . It's all up to you.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

How do you decide how much you give to people from the spa? Is it a percentage, like at restaurants, or a fixed amount, like whit... people who carry your suitcase?
I guess a percentage would work. Probably 10-15% depending upon if you were happy with the service.

I'm sure someone who has had a spa service will chime in on this one.

For the luggage handlers, I'd suggest a dollar or two per bag. I've heard stories of them actually taking notes about who's tipping and who's not. Some people seem to think this may effect when your luggage arrives to your cabin.

As for the tour operators/drivers, they usually have a tip jar. At the end of the tour you just put whatever you want in. Again maybe a few dollars per person? But if for some reason you are not happy with the service, don't tip. If they did an exceptional job and you had a wonderful time, maybe tip a little more.

Hope this helps.:)

Jillian

A a general rule of thumb here's what I tip and to whom:

Not on ship yet:

Resteraunt waiters and waitresses: 10 to 20% of total bill at end of meal

taxi drivers; 10% of cost of ride PLUS $1 per bag

Hotel Stay: $2 to $5 per day for housekeepers to clean room.make beds/etc/etc

Luggage handelers: $1 to $2 per bag

Room Service meal at hotel : I usually don't tip much at all here. When the food is delivered I simply ask :Has a delivery charge already been added to my bill? If yes, I ask,,Do you receive the money? If the answer is No, i add $5 to the bill as a tip, if they answer Yes, I give them a couple of bucks anyway.

PLUS any other person whom I may have forgotten who goes out of their way to make my vacation special receives a small token (1 or 2 bucks) of my appreciation.

On Board Ship:

All tips stay on my Sail and Sign card

If room steward was good -- both the steward and the assistant receive an additional $20 at end of cruise

Same with dining room wait staff

I may throw a $10 at a bartender who does me right on the first couple of days, and then I continue placing all my orders with that individual when possible.

Room Service on ship: If I only ordered for myself (BLT and chips) then $2. If I ordered for myself AND my wife $4

Off Ship on Tours:

Tour guide and driver always split tips. Great tour = $5 into the tip jar or if no tip jar directly to the tour guide

Hope this helps as some kind of guide

A a general rule of thumb here's what I tip and to whom:

Not on ship yet:

Resteraunt waiters and waitresses: 10 to 20% of total bill at end of meal

taxi drivers; 10% of cost of ride PLUS $1 per bag

Hotel Stay: $2 to $5 per day for housekeepers to clean room.make beds/etc/etc

Luggage handelers: $1 to $2 per bag

PLUS any other person whom I may have forgotten who goes out of their way to make my vacation special receives a small token (1 or 2 bucks) of my appreciation.

On Board Ship:

All tips stay on my Sail and Sign card

If room steward was good -- both the steward and the assistant receive an additional $20 at end of cruise

Same with dining room wait staff

I may throw a $10 at a bartender who does me right on the first couple of days, and then I continue placing all my orders with that individual when possible.

Off Ship on Tours:

Tour guide and driver always split tips. Great tour = $5 into the tip jar or if no tip jar directly to the tour guide

Hope this helps as some kind of guide

Excellent guide!! I just want to add tipping room service. We tipped $4 each time for two people.

- maitre d'

- room service

- spa

anyone else I forgot?

There are no services charges added to your hotel and restaurant checks? Seems to me your tipping at home is already added in, but its been a long time and my memory might not be so accurate. Follow the advice others have given.

Dan

On your cruise... all TIP's are taken care of with your sail & sign card.

$10 per person, per day is automatically added to your account. This covers all TIPs (Servers, room service, everything).

A 15% TIP is automatically added to all drink/wine/cocktail purchases, so you do not need to TIP those folks either.

I don't see any reason to TIP the M'tr D as this person is Salaried.

If you eat at the specialty restaurant, the $30 per person you pay includes the TIP.

TIP's are not included for SPA treatments.

Porters are TIP's $1 per bag.

Room Service is only a $1 TIP.

Archived