Checking stroller at the gate

GAPaige

This will be our first time flying with a stroller-age child. If I check the stroller at the gate, does it count toward my checked baggage? I'm allowed two pieces by the airline, which were a suitcase and a hanging garment bag. Do I need get that down to one bag to make an allowance for the stroller?

No, it doesn't count as checked baggage. It will get a special "gate check" tag and they just take it at the gate and put it in a compartment under the plane. It will be waiting for you once you get onto the gate at the end of your flight.

This will be our first time flying with a stroller-age child. If I check the stroller at the gate, does it count toward my checked baggage? I'm allowed two pieces by the airline, which were a suitcase and a hanging garment bag. Do I need get that down to one bag to make an allowance for the stroller?

Yep, stroller is a freebie. Definitely gate check it. I have had much better success getting car seats and strollers if I gate check them and avoid checking them with suitcases.

That's great news! Thanks so much for your advice. Another question-does the baby have to come out of the stroller when we go through security? What if I'm carrying her in a backpack carrier (soft kind-no metal)?

Yep, baby must come out of the stroller and the stroller should fit on the xray machine. If it won't, it will have to be hand checked w/ baby elsewhere.

Don't forget, bottles and sippy cups have to be empty as you go through security. I believe there are some exceptions for formula, but I don't know them. You'll have to look them up.

I believe baby has to come out of the carrier, but can go through in your arms. Someone can correct that if I'm wrong.

That's great news! Thanks so much for your advice. Another question-does the baby have to come out of the stroller when we go through security? What if I'm carrying her in a backpack carrier (soft kind-no metal)?

Nope, baby out. Backpack carrier AND stroller goes on the conveyor belt. When the child gets old enough to toddle, then the baby has to walk through on her/his own. Yes that's a sight to behold...lol.

I always go first, have my kids walk through, then have my husband come up behind us.

Oh and SHOES off...yes even the kids/babies have to have their shoes off.

Archived