Fully Obstructed Outside Cabins

CrystalWater

Just a note to help anyone wondering, as I was wondering, the fully obstructed ocean view cabins on deck 4 of the Noordam are not THAT bad. The lifeboats/Tenders actually have windows on them and we were stuck smack dab in front of one and we didn't realize we would actually be able to see slightly through the tender's windows. The cabins have floor to ceiling windows like a balcony slider. Also, if you are lucky enough, when they use the tenders for ports, you may get a view for the day like we did. We were one of the lucky few who had theirs removed for the day in Sitka. For half the price of a balcony room, it really wasn't so bad. I enjoy having a balcony room best, but when you want to go on a few cruises a year, and that was our 3rd, it was worth sucking up just to get to go. My point is that it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The only 2 things I did not like about the room is that the lighting is very, very poor and there isn't proper lighting at the vanity. You could hardly see yourself to get ready. The other thing my husband hated is the positioning of the tv's. Each time I sat at the vanity, he could not see the tv, as I was blocking his view. He hated that. On other cruise lines the TV is never in that location.

Each time I sat at the vanity, he could not see the tv, as I was blocking his view. He hated that. On other cruise lines the TV is never in that location.

Tell your DH that he can watch TV at home - When he's on vacation he's there to watch You.

;)

Tell your DH that he can watch TV at home - When he's on vacation he's there to watch You.

;)

You try telling him that when I'm getting ready and sports are on!!! LOL My DH doesn't sit in front of the TV on his cruise. He does, however, sit on the bed while I am getting ready and he watches the sports. The way the TV is positioned, it was very difficult for him to see it while I was using the vanity and that's just a fact.

We booked a partially obstructed stateroom, it has a floor to ceiling window. This will be our first time booking this type of cabin, usually we book a veranda, we wanted to be lower & more mid ship, so this was the way to go....it also costs less, which means MORE CRUISES:) We will be able to see the ocean in between the tenders. I would take an inside stateroom, which someday we might.....just as long as we can cruise, that's all that matters:)

Lynne:)

Thank you for the report! Do you have photos to share?

My sister is booked in an OOV on the Noordam in H4065. Could you tell me which cabin you had? Also, I thought the bed was up against the window (that's how it is shown on the HAL website.) Could you explain the cabin layout, please?

Didn't you have a love-seat that your DH could sit in to watch T.V.? How about the lighted mirror on the vanity (are they only in the Verandah staterooms?) Lastly, how was the lighting in the bathroom?

Thank you for the report! Do you have photos to share?

My sister is booked in an OOV on the Noordam in H4065. Could you tell me which cabin you had? Also, I thought the bed was up against the window (that's how it is shown on the HAL website.) Could you explain the cabin layout, please?

Didn't you have a love-seat that your DH could sit in to watch T.V.? How about the lighted mirror on the vanity (are they only in the Verandah staterooms?) Lastly, how was the lighting in the bathroom?

If she's on the 4th floor, the windows are floor to ceiling and no, the bed is not up against the window, it's beside the window. Yes, we had a love seat, but I still would have semi-blocked him with him sitting there even, plus that would have been to tight to sit in over there. The lighting in the bathroom is just perfectly fine. It's just sitting at the vanity, it's really, really bad. 3 other girls were talking about that with me on the aft too. Here's a picture:

DSCN2162.jpg

IMG]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee128/Crystalwatersphotos/DSCN2158.jpg[/img]

Ahoy!

The things we must 'endure' while cruising are, simply, 'overboard' at times IMO.

I think you probably enjoyed your cruise none-the-less, no?

Be well, and prior to your next cruise be sure to check out the room floorplans.

And I also apologize for being a smart 'arse'. I'm currently attired in 'relaxed casual' bordering on 'trailer park casual' wear (I know, everyone is agast and horrified) and feel out of place.

Seriously though, may all your future cruises be GREAT CRUISES!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

I also wanted to mention that the windows are one way tinted and there are maintenance guys walking in front of your window working on the tenders. We saw them quite often. They cannot see you, .

I'm pretty sure those windows aren't tinted. If I were you I'd be very careful about having the draperies closed if someone's out there and you don't want to be seen. :eek:

I'm pretty sure those windows aren't tinted. If I were you I'd be very careful about having the draperies closed if someone's out there and you don't want to be seen. :eek:

Our windows were 100% definitely tinted. You can even see my flash reflection. Our room attendant also told us they were. I even stood infront of the window when there were 3 crew on the boat and I waved and jumped up and down and they could not see me. My hubby even walked down to the promenade and looked up and definitely could not see a thing.

Ahoy!

The things we must 'endure' while cruising are, simply, 'overboard' at times IMO.

I think you probably enjoyed your cruise none-the-less, no?

Be well, and prior to your next cruise be sure to check out the room floorplans.

And I also apologize for being a smart 'arse'. I'm currently attired in 'relaxed casual' bordering on 'trailer park casual' wear (I know, everyone is agast and horrified) and feel out of place.

Seriously though, may all your future cruises be GREAT CRUISES!

Bob:)

Bob, it was a comment and observation. I don't believe I stated it was a crisis nor did it ruin my cruise :eek: . LOL I'm just informing people what to expect. ALL my cruises are great! I hope yours are too! :D

We have a Guar. C for our cruise on the Noordam. Can anyone tell me if the set up is the same as Crystal's? HAL's website shows the bed against the window. Is the window floor to ceiling? We were told it was LARGE. We also prefer a veranda, but took the C on Main Deck as it afforded us more than one cruise this year! Plus, the VF room I wanted was already gone!

Ahoy!

I'm glad you didn't take my comments to seriously. Life is much too short not to be able to laugh at the 'human condition' or to take ourselves too seriously. I tend to go through a 'Jekyll Hyde' transformation on some days. I'm usually up by 0430 each day dumping water in the BUNN, show up at the 'grind' by 0600, and return to the 'bunkhouse' around 1800 on most weekdays (I'm semiretired now, only need to put in 40 hours at a minimum with weekends off : How great is that!). Any cynical / sarcastic remarks are not meant to be hurtful. I believe all of us are so fortunate to have the health and wherewithal to be able to cruise.

I believe most of us thank the deity of our choice daily for such a privledge. Reminds me of the old joke about the dead atheist laying in a coffin: "All dressed up and no place to go" (no offense to the atheist crowd).

Anywho, you bring up an old memory when you suggested having a 'trailer park casual night' (no offense to the modular home crowd). I seem to recall 'many moons' ago the HAL had a costume night on every cruise. I mean by this, folks would either bring on board some sort of costume or make one while aboard and everyone would wear the costumes during one of the, what was called then, informal nights. The spectrum of costumes were anywhere from simple 'groucho glasses' to elaborate pirate costumes, etc. They were fun nights. Whatever happened to them?

Well enough of this. May all your cruises be GREAT CRUISES! (And I believe most of us have never had one if you 'sift' through the'fog')

Bob:) (garbed in 'work casual')

Does anyone know if the H cat' cabins on the Zuiderdam (upper promenade deck #4090) have the floor to ceiling windows? That is where we will be for our Med' cruise in Sept 08.

I don't know specifically for the Zuiderdam, but I've stayed in G4080 (partially obstructed)on the Westerdam (5-6 cabins down from 4090) and it had floor to ceiling windows.

CrystalWater - Such great information and thank you for the photo's!

Were you near 4065? Do the windows open like the verandah's? It looked like a railing around your window in one of the photos. How was the soundproofing?

Not too far from it. No the windows do not open, absolutely not, you'd fall out if they did. We could hear some noise from the people walking the promenade deck below and I could also hear some music from a bar below us, but none of it was bad. If the positioning of this cabin happened to be on another line that is a lot more wild, I probably wouldn't have liked having this room at all, but HAL was really quite quiet and people weren't loud or obnoxious like you find on a more wild cruise.

Archived