Snuba for non-swimmers

Attack Dog

My wife doesn't know how to swim. She was wondering if Snuba would be scary for someone who doesn't know how to swim? We understand that knowing how to swim isn't required for this excursion but is it difficult for a non-swimmer?

Attack Dog from the great state of NM, personally I would not consider scuba diving if I couldn't swim. I would be scared to death, that is just my feeling. Why doesn't she start with snorkeling and see how that goes over. I know a few people who do not swim or swim very little that are even uncomfortable snorkeling.

Nita

NMNita: The question was regarding Snuba, not scuba. I have known several people that have gone and did not like it and some loved it. My thoughts would be if she can't swim how would she navigate under water with a hose attached to her?

My guess would be she would not like it.

Rather than Snuba or snorkelling, if they offer BOB or BOSS (breathing observation bubble) where you are going, that might be an idea.

It stands breathing observational bubble or breathing observation submersible scooter.

Your head is in a bubble and you ride a scooter that is powered by the same air tank that provides air in the bubble. Even non-swimmers can use it as you only have to go underwater on your own to get under the bubble (very short distance and there is someone to help you). Inside the bubble is air so you can breath normally. Once seated on the scooter, it is lowered and with a guide, you ride a trail along the seabed.

If you google BOB or BOSS adventures, you can watch a video. We did BOSS in St. Thomas and loved it.

OMG Attack Dog!!!

I have absolutely no comment on the snuba question...but I love, love, love your quote at the end: "You could just stay home, eat six times a day, drink a little too much, and rock back and forth" :D

Chris

NMNita: The question was regarding Snuba, not scuba. I have known several people that have gone and did not like it and some loved it. My thoughts would be if she can't swim how would she navigate under water with a hose attached to her?

My guess would be she would not like it.

ok, it was too early in the morning and I wasn't paying attention but I agree with you.

Nita

We did Snuba and we are not very good swimmers. From the experience we had I would really think hard if it's right for you. We did ours in Auba, and the dive was about 30 ft. In order to go under the water they fit you with a weight belt. We found it very difficult to regulate our breathing, to relax enough to feel confident that you will breathe well enough under the water. I found it hard to do this so they took the weight belt off me and I ended up swimming on top or near the top. Trust me, it takes alot of energy. Then you have to swim with the long hoses and try not to get them tangled. The hoses run from a floating oxygen tank and that's where you swim. On the other hand I was quite proud of myself for doing what I did. You get an amazing view of the other divers under you. The fish are beautiful. And we got some cool pictures and video of us swimming. I'm not trying to discourage you. But we didn't think it would be this difficult and it does cost a fair amount to do. If you do yours in Aruba De Palm Island is a great excursion. The snorkelling is amazing and the huge beautiful fish come right up to your hand to be fed. The beach is gorgeous and they have a nice cafeteria.

Does your wife truly not know how to swim? Or do you mean she just is not a strong swimmer? If she really does not know how to swim, then I think Snuba would be too hard, because one does have to swim while in the water. As described above, you must be somewhat comfortable being in the water, and be able to go under the water without feeling panicky.

If she has snorkled on top of the water, then I think she would be fine. If that is something new to her, then I would skip the Snuba and go with the Dive Helmet walk (No swimming needed at all).

If she is panicky with water over her head, I would avoid this. I agree with snorkeling with a vest first. It will keep her bouyant and if she can see bottom she may feel safer.

I'm an experienced diver and sometimes the boat ride out can upset my stomach. That may also have to be considered. Do you need to take a small boat out to the snuba location? If it is anything else than a very calm day, that rocking small boat can be disquieting, esp. for a non-swimmer.

Good luck.

Heather

Archived