Does anyone know anything about stopping in Caracas (LaGuaira)?

rockymo

Princess cancelled that stop for us last week and we went to isla margarita instead!

we stayed very close to the ship, they had a little shopping & a beach right when you get off the ship which was fine as we were only there for 5 hours or so anyway!

June

If you go, a ship's tour is the only safe tour. The tour into Caracas is very interesting, but civil unrest has been a large problem for many years. Ship tours are best on Isle Margarita too. The roads are bad and the drivers are worse. Our stop at the island was the only time in 14 cruises that we stayed on the ship at port.

Bon Voyage

I haven't been to LaGuaira in a few years but it is not a place you could or should go out on your own. There is a small shopping area next to where the cruise ships dock, and that was okay to go to. The dock area is very very rough and a lot of crew members don't even get off the ship. We did a tour that took us to Caracas, but as previously mentioned unrest is a major problem. The city is about 1/2 to 3/4 hr from the ship if I remember correctly. I was also upset by children of school age who should have been in school but weren't, were husseling soda on the streets. I have no idea why the cruise ships still use that as a port. I have been on cruises 3 times that stopped in LaGuaira, but only once did I go to Caracas. In spite of this port, I am sure you will enjoy your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in La Guaira 2 years ago in November. Lots of tanks and soldiers and poverty in Caracas. Took a tour that the ship offered to Murano glass factory and to a wonderful tram ride up a mountain. The factory was ordinary---the tram ride was quite long and the views were nice of surrounding area and metropolitan Caracas; would do the tram ride again if forced to dock at La Guaira. We were at the top of the mountain for about an hour and able to buy traditional foods there, as well as take photos. If you do this tour, take a coat/sweatshirt---very cold at top of the mountain. Saw a lot of scenery of Caracas on the bus trip---good and bad.

At the port are some shops in the building there---able to buy a few traditional craft items, e.g. the miniature nativity scenes, for reasonable prices, and yes you can bargain with the vendors.

Archived