Cancellation Policy/Name Change - Help!

ata1976

Here is the situation.

My inlaws were planning to cruise with us leaving in 10 days on Sept 30. They booked with the military rate with MIL and FIL in the room. Due to health issues, FIL is being told not to cruise/fly and MIL won't go without him. They did not have insurance for this trip. We booked directly with carnival.

What is the cancellation policy this close to the cruise? I can't seem to find it on the website and my cruise docs are at home. MIL thinks they can get all there money from the cruise and airline (booked separately) since it is a medical reason. I told her I didn't think so. Kinda like - you should have booked insurance, ya know.

DH does have a friend that said he would cruise in their place. DH's friend is military so he should qualify for the military rate too. Does anyone know if we could change the name for DHs friend and still get the military rate even though the original military person wouldn't be there, but a new military person would?

Advice please, Thanks!

And I'm probably going to call carnival, I just haven't yet.

Carnival will do a name change up to about 3 days prior to sailing is what I was told when I called carnival to inquire. The cost is $50, I do not know about military discounts but since both are military it wouldn't seem to be a problem???

Thanks for the reply.

I googled and found this cancellation policy:

2, 3, 4 & 5 Day CruisesDays Prior to DepartureCancellation Charge Per Guest

Up to 70 days prior to departure No Penalty (except for Cruises-To-Nowhere*)

69 days - 35 days prior to departureAmount of Deposit ++

34 days - 10 days prior to departure50% of Total Fare

9 days to day of sailing100% of Total Fare (No Refund)

If today is the 20th and we sail on the 30th, is today the 10th day? So if they cancelled today they would get 50% back? And tomorrow would be nothing?

Carnival will only do a name change if one of the original persons booked is still booked in the cabin. The only way I can figure a way around this is if somehow you switch names around to put one of you who is still cruising in the in laws cabin and putting one of your in-laws in your cabin and then canceling them later. You could then make an on board switch. Not sure if this would really work tho. I haven't really thought it thru. It's just an idea.

The best thing to do would be to call Carnival right now and see what can be done and what the exact cancellation policy is.

The name change won't work as you must keep at least one person that was originally booked in the cabin.

And yes, this is exactly the situation that insurance is for.

As someone mentioned above, here is how I would clarify it:

As I understand it, this is how your cabins are currently booked:

Cabin 1: FIL & MIL

Cabin 2: You & DH

Don't cancel anyone - call and do a name change from FIL to your DH's friend. Let them know that this person is also military.

Now, just don't tell carnival your MIL is not coming until you get to the pier. That way, there isn't a question about having an original person still in the cabin, etc, etc. People get sick and miss flights and miss the ship all the time. They shouldn't question it at the pier.

Note: The above is only applicable if your inlaws are not trying to get some sort of refund. I don't believe at this point there is any hope of a refund, even for medical reasons, without insurance.

I agree with Jimbug's advice--but add that the new military friend will need to provide his DD214 or Retirement ID via fax to Carnival within 3 days to keep the rate. Even then, Carnival may re-fare the cabin while this is in-process.

However, as Jimbug said, they will be out one full fare assuming friend pays them for his fare. By outright canceling today, they will have the same penalty, because they will both get 50% of their individual fares back. IF they wait until tomorrow, they will get nothing back.

Carnival is still selling military rates on that ship, starting at $269 pp. Your friend could book a 1A single military rate for $354 right now.

Everyone needs to decide what is in their own best interests.

Ok, I called Carnival. My PVP said they have until Sunday (1 week before cruise) to cancel with 50% penalty. I did find out that we are not booked with military rate, but past guest rate. PVP said that was better at the time. And Friend could do the name change for $50.

I gave the info to DH to pass on to his friend, so we will see what he wants to do. In Laws said either way, they could either get the 50% from friend or Carnival.

If we decide to go, we will just leave MIL and Friend on reservation and have MIL miss the boat.

Thanks for everyones help.

Amy,

Ah, I see. I used the cancellation penalties you posted above, but when I went to the passage contract on the website I did find these dates:

DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE DATE

2, 3, 4 & 5 DAY CRUISES

CANCELLATION CHARGE (per guest)

Up to 61 days None (except cruises to nowhere*)

60 to 30 days Deposit**

29 to 8 days 50% of Total Fare

7 days or less 100% of Total Fare

(I think what you found was an older policy or for holiday trips??) At least you have some breathing room.

I suggest the best way to do this is for in-laws to determine what their total refund will be if they cancel by Sunday. If it is $400 or more, then they should just cancel. Friend can get that rate (with tax) today as a military single by booking on his own. If in-laws would get less, then do the re-book shuffle and the friend goes as a single at a pretty good rate.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

I was just going to give an update.

The inlaws just ended up cancelling with a 50% penalty. The PVP suggested my MIL to write a letter to the Research Dept to either get her money back or a future cruise credit. I had already told the inlaws they were going to lose 50%, so it was a complete surprise to her for the PVP to say to write the letter. Oh well, if they get the 50% back, great. Otherwise this is just a perfect example of why to get cruise insurance.

Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Archived