Iguazu Falls vs. Victoria Falls--?comparison

Tarheelbelle

Having been to Victoria Falls on the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia, I am considering whether it would be worthwhile to go to Iguazu Falls. Would like to hear from those who have been to both as to your opinion. Obviously, Victoria Falls is pretty spectacular or I would not be asking this. Thanks in advance to anyone who can post about this.

Hi, I haven't been to Victoria falls, but I have seen several tv shows showing it. From what I have seen Iquassu is far larger. Iquassu went from one amazing waterfall view to the next even more spectacular.

BTW, I was in your area the week of Labor day, visiting my old Chapel Hill haunts with my wife. We also headed out west and did some white water rafting on the Nantahala. Orange county has grown a lot since I went to grad school there in the 80s.

jc

Actually from the pictures I have seen of Iguazu falls and seeing Victoria Falls in person, I believe that Victoria Falls may be larger. But would like to hear from someone who has seen both. But there are comparisons which I found on Wikipedia.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls

"Vastly larger than North America's Niagara Falls, Iguaçu is rivalled only by Southern Africa's Victoria Falls which separates Zambia and Zimbabwe (this is excluding extremely large rapid-like falls such as the Boyoma Falls). Whilst Iguazu is wider because it is split into about 270 discrete falls and large islands, Victoria is the largest curtain of water in the world, at over a mile wide and over 350 feet (108 meters) in height (in low flow Victoria is split into five by islands; in high flow it can be uninterrupted).

The water falling over Iguazu in peak flow has a surface area of about 400,000 square metres (1.3 million square feet) whilst Victoria in peak flow has a surface area of over 550,000 square metres (1.8 million square feet). By comparison, Niagara has a surface area of under 183,000 square metres (600,000 square feet). Victoria's annual peak flow is also greater than Iguazu's annual peak—9.1 million litres per second versus 6.5 million—though in times of extreme flood the two have recorded very similar maximum water discharge (well in excess of 12 million litres per second). Niagara's annual peak flow is about 2.8 million litres per second, although an all-time peak of 6.8 million has been recorded. Iguazu and Victoria fluctuate more greatly in their flow rate. Mist rises between 30 and 150 metres (100 and 500 feet) from Iguazu's Garganta do Diabo, and over 300 metres (1,000 feet) above Victoria (sometimes over 600 metres).

Iguazu, however, affords better views and walkways and its shape allows for spectacular vistas. At one point a person can stand and be surrounded by 260 degrees of waterfalls. The Garganta do Diabo has water pouring into it from three sides, which makes for an exceptional sight. Likewise, because Iguazu is split into many relatively small falls, one can view these a portion at a time. Victoria does not allow this, as it is essentially one waterfall that falls into a canyon and is too immense to appreciate at once (except from the air). Iguazu and Victoria are generally regarded as the world's most spectacular waterfalls, with people divided as to which is the more impressive."

Tarheelbelle, thanks for the statistical comparison; very interesting. I live an hour from Niagara Falls and while its a great place it does pale in comparison to Iguazu. The vistas are spectacular and you have many viewpoints along the well designed walkways. Devils Throat is unbelievable and you get out literally to it. Victoria Falls sounds wonderful and I plan on getting there some day.

I hope you get someone who has been to both.

Been to both. There's no danger of suffering negatively from Stendhal's syndrome when it comes to waterfalls. You can never get enough. Having helicoptered over the edge of Victoria Falls and white water rafted from the base down the Zambezi River with hippos and crocs, Victoria is exhilarating. On the Zambian side, families with young children picnic right at the river's fall edge, and there's the old guy sitting on a folding chair on the bridge, enticing daredevils to his bungee jump business. I thought, if something goes wrong, that old guy surely will fold up his chair and disappear in a hurry. Although not developed as long as a tourist destination, Iguassu Falls is a little more developed for tourists. Has extensive walkways on both Brazilian and Argentine sides, and you can walk out over the falls, standing surrounded by them almost on all sides. Boat trip at the base is worth it. However, a little train track reaching out to the main falls was impassible because of flooding when we were there. Would be a big mistake not to see both in one lifetime.

Simpsons-

Did you have to get the Visa for the Brazillian side?

Was travelling throughout Brazil, so the whole works (visa, yellow fever shots, and anti-malarial medicine) was needed. I'll assume that you're looking to do the falls as an excursion from a cruise ship docked in Buenos Aires. I don't know if you only go to Argentine side; or, if you plan both whether you need a visa. I would assume so. The falls straddle the border, but you just can't walk from one part to the other. You have to go back to the road, go through border crossing procedures and to the other side. Each side has its own similarly named airport (Iguassu vs. Iguazu), to add to the confusion.

Thank you, simpsons, for the information. Your descriptions of Vic Falls brought back some happy memories of canoeing the Zambezi above the falls and having to bang the canoe to keep the hippos away!

Iguassu also has its share of wildlife. The national park is a preserve for jaguars. Every once in a while, a human (child usually) is lost to one. Signs along walkways remind you to stay on the trail for this reason. One of great lessons you learn in nature travel: it's not Disneyland. No one is going to keep you from making stupid mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived