I've Had Problems With TSA Locks - Have You?

petesweet

We used the grocery store twist twine to just twist-tied the zippers together to make sure it did not accidentally open.

We only had ONE occasion TSA inspected our bag, and did leave a note inside, out of 60 to 70 trips since 911.

The most ironic incident was that we got SSSS BPs at CDG in Sept 06 because the security hired by United did not feel happy about our inability to produced a paid hotel bill for our stay at InterContinental Le Grand - we were dangling the shopping bag from the hotel, containing the slippers and newspaper when approached the security desk - she asked who paid for the hotel, obviously did not believe we could afford the hotel, judging by our clothings and such. We said simultaneously, "It was free." It was free, because we used our Priority Club points. Lucky or unlucky for us, we got the hotel printed a statement showing our stays, but 0 charge - it was for the purpose in case hotel accounting messed up and billed us, we would have the statement to prove to the CC company it should not have been billed, for the hotel did take CC info and put 150 Euro per day authorization on the card, for each day of our stay. The security employee refused to accept the fact, went to confer with 2 other employees and her supervisor. Then came back to put shocking pink color stickers on ALL our belongs - from luggages to purses to camera bags. When we approached United counter after that, I said to the agent, "It looks like we would get the SSSS?" He shrugged and knodded. We did get the SSSS BPs which led to 3 body searches, incl one on the gangway.

The stickers on the luggages were to instruct a thorough hand-search must be performed due to security reason. No one ever opened the luggages, judging by the look of our twisted tie - the way I twisted it, I doubt anyone opened the luggage would be patiently to re-twist it the same way. One scribbled signature was put on the sticker near the handle, as if someone signed it off that no hand-search is needed.

We just flew back from ZRH via JFK this Tuesday, with checked bags that had only twisted twine on. No one opened it.

My theory is, the thieves would not bother to open the bags that are not locked, reasoning that things inside are not worth much. We never have valuables in the luggages though honestly speaking, the shoes and clothes would cost a lot to replaced if they are stolen (think about $300 a pair of shoes) but who would steal shoes and clothes?

I like the zip tie idea, thank you all ! I have sturdy, softsided, TravelPro luggage and have always thought a lock provides little or no real security. A good boxcutter can get into softsided luggage in a few seconds! :eek: The ziptie prevents coming unzipped by accident.

Haven't had any issues to date using TSA locks. (knock on wood) All valuables go into my carry-on and/or I wear the most expensive- ie rings etc. My fiance and I split our clothing and shoes between the two suitcases should one get lost. You just never know.....

I use a MasterLock (TSA approved) and have never had mine unlocked that I know of. I keep all electronics in my carry-on. I don't wear jewelry but if I did, that would go in the carry-on too.

I have been using the same lock for about 5 years now and checked luggage at least 50 times since then.

I'm glad I found this thread today....I was getting ready to buy 4 TSA locks.

I have heard about the zip-ties before and I am going to try that. Do you all clip the hanging part of the rest of the zip-tie or just leave it alone?

Also, it seems that everyones bags are searched, so is all my nice packing to avoid wrinkles going to be a waste of time? :(

OK my turn on the TSA lock issue,..

I bought TSA locks for our cruise in 06... I left them unlocked for the flight down however locked them for the transfer to the ship,, No issues,, On the return I locked them for the transfer off the ship, again no issues however I forgot to unlock them for the flight home.. These were TSA locks... We flew out of FLL on cruise return day., When we arrived home I went to unpack only to find that the lock was in place on one of the bags however the rest of the zipper pull was totally destroyed,, Thus ruining the suitcase.., There was no note in the suitcase as I have found before from the TSA saying they took a look.. I think the baggage handlers had a field day and were responsible for the destruction.. I will not fly in or out on the days the cruise leaves or returns.. I always arrive a day or so early and at least a day late on return..

Have used TSA locks on several flights, many times found notes in the suitcase so locks were apparently opened, contents inspected and then relocked. On our last trip, the gate baggage personnel asked DH to unlock the suitcase for inspection. He replied, they're TSA locks so you can unlock them. Baggage personnel replied "Uh, we don't have a key". So DH unlocked bag for them, and they relocked.

Archived