I've Had Problems With TSA Locks - Have You?

petesweet

I tried using TSA locks several times and never again. I just don't lock my luggage any more and take my chances.

1. One lock I bought was defective to the point I couldn't unlock it. I'm so glad I happened to need something in my locked case before I left home. I had to get my lock cutter (don't remember the name of that big tool!!) to open my luggage. That would not have been available to me where I was going.

2. At least three other times I've put TSA locks on my luggage only to get to my destination and reclaim unlocked suitcases that held a note from the TSA people along with my broken locks.

Sometimes they work, but not often enough for me to keep using them. Is it because I get inexpensive TSA-approved locks? Do I have to pay a lot of money for them?

Travelers originating in the US cannot lock their luggage for security reasons. If you do desire to lock it you must purchase special "TSA" locks - these are locks that only (supposedly) the TSA has access to. I've used them several times with no problems; however, my daughter came back from a Hawaiian cruise last summer and one of her locks was obviously damaged. We could not unlock it so my husband had to cut it off. Those little suckers aren't cheap either!!!!

I've given up using them. For some reason I have no problem with them but security must seem to or they are just keeping them and recycling them. I have never gotten to a destination with the locks still on my luggage. I don't even bother any more.

Ann

I've used my TSA locks several times with no problem. Had two instances where my luggage was opened by airport security. Both times they had left a note in the luggage and my lock was put back on and the place where the color changes on the locks to show it had been opened had changed- just as it should. So far my locks work as they are supposed to.

Maybe it's the brand? Mine says SearchAlert on one side and Prestolock on the other.

Here's a link to the ones I have:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/searchalert.htm

I was wondering...I have heard that instead of TSA locks, one can use inexpensive zip ties. If TSA needs in, they just cut them off. Is that true?

exactly...that's what i use....you can get 100 of them in the electrical dept at home depot in pretty colors for 4 bucks or less.

I've used them for several years now without any problems. Even had evidencer that one of my bags had been opened and inspected (there was a form letter inside the bag when I opened it), and the lock was back on and intact. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I had a TSA lock removed last year on a flight from Nashville to Pittsburgh. The little inspection note was in my suitcase, but the lock was gone.

However, I will continue to use TSA locks. I know that, if someone really wants in my suitcase, he or she will find a way. I especially like using them when I have to put my luggage outside of my cabin the night before disembarking.

exactly...that's what i use....you can get 100 of them in the electrical dept at home depot in pretty colors for 4 bucks or less.

Us too! We use zip ties or cable ties in a bright color, and put a small scissor or toe nail clipper in the front pocket of one suitcase so we can remove the ties when we get to our destination. Security can break them off if they wish to inspect our suitcase, and we'll know about it if we find the tie missing. Don't forget to pack additional ties for the return trip.

The brightly colored ties makes your suitcases easier to identify too.

Us too! We use zip ties or cable ties in a bright color, and put a small scissor or toe nail clipper in the front pocket of one suitcase so we can remove the ties when we get to our destination. Security can break them off if they wish to inspect our suitcase, and we'll know about it if we find the tie missing. Don't forget to pack additional ties for the return trip.

The brightly colored ties makes your suitcases easier to identify too.

u sound like me!!!! i use locks after the flight......like getting on and off the ship......

i lost count how many times my bags have been opened...i guess the little boxes of cereal and tiny bottle of tide look suspicious! hey, at least the TSA people didn't "confiscate" my froot loops!

Ummm ... What is a TSA lock, sorry im English and have never heard of them. Are they a special lock and if so why?

We too are from the Uk and have TSA locks which we have never had any problem with. As we usually have a flight from Scotland to London to fly to USA we prefer outr cases to be locked.

I've been using the TSA locks for a few years and never had a problem, and having the luggage going through customs from Canada to the States almost guarantees that one of our suitcases will be inspected......they always leave a note in the suitcase, that's the only way I know that they removed the lock.

I used to use the ties, but you can't have nail clippers, etc with you on the plane anymore, and one time that I put it in the pocket of my suitcase, someone took it out - had to ask our cabin steward for a knife to get into my luggage!

(Now that I've posted this, I'll probably have a problem with my locks in January):rolleyes:

Happy Cruising!

Kim.

I guess I'll just use the zip locks in the future. That would solve the problem of security when leaving your luggage out in the hallway on the night before you disembark.

I read a tip on one of these boards about using one color when you start your journey and putting a few zip locks of another color right on top of your things inside the suitcase. Sometimes the TSA people are kind enough to re-secure your luggage, and you'll know that's the case because of the different color zip lock.

And don't forget what was said above - put something in an outside pocket to cut off the zip locks. (Or your cabin steward could probably help you.)

Thanks to you all for responding to my initial question. Glad to know it's not only me.

I've used TSA locks several times with no problems. The locks we have have an indicator on them that lets me know if my luggage was opened. I find they don't always put the notes in your baggage...I don't know if they're required to or not. Just an interesting observation.

My TSA approved locks were missing, twice.

Once I had these very nice, I'll call them "bands" that had our last name on them that went around the suitcase. They didn't lock but they were cut too and left in my suitcase.

I usually fly out of Newark and sometimes JFK but mostly EWR.

I just don't lock my luggage anymore.

I plan to try the zip ties on our next cruise, they are inexpensive and at the very least will discourage theft, as someone may just go on to the next bag that isn't locked or 'zipped'. :)

We have been using zipties for about 10 yrs now and have never had anything missing from our luggage. Yes TSA will cut them off but usually there is a new one put back on, along with the note in the luggage. It seems to be very random as to which cases get opened and inspected.

For boarding/leaving the ship we always use the ties on every zipper, we would know right away if they had been opened.

And yes you can take nail clippers with you now, we usually have a pair in an outside pocket of the luggage that has nothing else in it and a pair in our carry on just incase the other pair goes missing.

I guess I'll just use the zip locks in the future. That would solve the problem of security when leaving your luggage out in the hallway on the night before you disembark.

I read a tip on one of these boards about using one color when you start your journey and putting a few zip locks of another color right on top of your things inside the suitcase. Sometimes the TSA people are kind enough to re-secure your luggage, and you'll know that's the case because of the different color zip lock.

And don't forget what was said above - put something in an outside pocket to cut off the zip locks. (Or your cabin steward could probably help you.)

Thanks to you all for responding to my initial question. Glad to know it's not only me.

These can be cut off in no time and thus do not solve the problem of security when leaving your luggage out in the hallway.

Archived