I've Had Problems With TSA Locks - Have You?

petesweet

We used to use the zipties until one of our suitcases was opened by the TSA. They left a handy little notice in the luggage piece telling us they had opened up our bag. What that note didn't mention was that they stole a roll of quarters ($10) and drank my DH's vodka in a travel flask.

We now use the TSA locks. Truthfully, they aren't much better, but they are easier to open once on the ship.

i use locks on the ship, but many people fly in/out day of, so there may not be time to switch...

BTW, i asked a TSA person about re-closing it if they open it (lock or cable tie)...he told me they do not have to reclose it, just leave the note inside....

and he's a person who travels around telling the other TSA people what to do.

just fyi...in case it isn't relocked or re-cable tied-they don't have to.....

You don't HAVE to use TSA locks--you can use ANY kind of lock you want to! NEVER travel without locking your bags!!!!

I buy small Master keyed locks at the hardware store. They're not expensive. If TSA wants to get in my bag, they can cut the lock off--I have more! If the lock IS cut off, I know someone has been in there--With the TSA locks, they can open your luggage, go through your stuff and relock--who'd know????

LOCK YOUR BAGS!!!! USE YOUR OWN LOCKS!!!!!!

I was wondering...I have heard that instead of TSA locks, one can use inexpensive zip ties. If TSA needs in, they just cut them off. Is that true?

This is true...and they also usually replace them if they cut them off. We use the bright hot pink, orange and green colored zip ties, and a few times have found them replaced by plain ones, so we knew they had been opened even before we saw the note they left inside. (Just make sure you pack a nail clipper in one of the outside pockets of your suitcase, so you can clip them off once you reach your destination.)

• 7 months later...
I tried using TSA locks several times and never again. I just don't lock my luggage any more and take my chances.

1. One lock I bought was defective to the point I couldn't unlock it. I'm so glad I happened to need something in my locked case before I left home. I had to get my lock cutter (don't remember the name of that big tool!!) to open my luggage. That would not have been available to me where I was going.

2. At least three other times I've put TSA locks on my luggage only to get to my destination and reclaim unlocked suitcases that held a note from the TSA people along with my broken locks.

Sometimes they work, but not often enough for me to keep using them. Is it because I get inexpensive TSA-approved locks? Do I have to pay a lot of money for them?

My solution is simple.....I don't lock my luggage at all, anywhere, anytime. I never pack anything valuable nor anything I would regret losing. If anyone wants to rifle my suitcase, I'd rather they unzip it rather than destroy it.....once they find nothing of value, at least I get the suitcase back intact.

In 32 years of travel on a regular basis, all over the world, by land and sea, I've never had anything missing from a suitcase....ever.

We used to use the zipties until one of our suitcases was opened by the TSA. They left a handy little notice in the luggage piece telling us they had opened up our bag. What that note didn't mention was that they stole a roll of quarters ($10) and drank my DH's vodka in a travel flask.

We now use the TSA locks. Truthfully, they aren't much better, but they are easier to open once on the ship.

Why would you leave money in there? I carry any valuables on ME.

My solution is simple.....I don't lock my luggage at all' date=' anywhere, anytime. I never pack anything valuable nor anything I would regret losing. If anyone wants to rifle my suitcase, I'd rather they unzip it rather than destroy it.....once they find nothing of value, at least I get the suitcase back intact.

In 32 years of travel on a regular basis, all over the world, by land and sea, I've never had anything missing from a suitcase....ever.[/quote']

I'm kind of the same way. Only one time have I ever attempted to lock my suitcase - there was nothing valuable inside it - but when I checked my baggage, they told me I had to remove the lock myself, so I did. I didn't even bother to put it back on the rest of the trip. I never have anything valuable in there anyways... those things (the few I bring) are usually on me or in my carry on.

We too are from the Uk and have TSA locks which we have never had any problem with. As we usually have a flight from Scotland to London to fly to USA we prefer outr cases to be locked.

Interesting, I thought I had read somewhere that you couldn't use them at Heathrow. We used zipties when we flew out of there last month.

Only problem with using them is that you need to remember to have something in your carryon to cut them off with at your destination. Something not on the banned items list.

Although we've never had a problem with our TSA locks I think the ties are just as good. We don't keep any valuables in our check on luggage anyway. It all goes in carryon.

The locks do come in handy if you like to keep your suitcases locked while in your stateroom.

We use TSA locks like so many of you posters. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. At one airport we used they suggested not using the TSA locks - do you think they knew something we didn't? :eek:

I've used them often with no problems. Well, I guess my only problem is that I tend to lose keys, so I've converted to using zip ties (never forget to pack extras, plus clippers!).

I'd never not lock my luggage in some manner. A thief is looking for a convenient, fast target. Hopefully the thought of dealing with my lock/tie is enough to make him move down the hall to the next bag.

I've used my TSA locks several times with no problem. Had two instances where my luggage was opened by airport security. Both times they had left a note in the luggage and my lock was put back on and the place where the color changes on the locks to show it had been opened had changed- just as it should. So far my locks work as they are supposed to.

Maybe it's the brand? Mine says SearchAlert on one side and Prestolock on the other.

Here's a link to the ones I have:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/searchalert.htm

I have been using the same style locks as you have mentioned for quite a few years. The worst that ever happens is sometimes the prongs get bent, and become unusable. We carrry 2 spare locks inside or baggage if needed. The locks work like they are advertised, and if TSA wants inside.........the color indicator on the lock has changed color to indicate that they have indeed opened the bag.

Rick

I've been using the TSA locks for a few years and never had a problem' date=' and having the luggage going through customs from Canada to the States almost guarantees that one of our suitcases will be inspected......they always leave a note in the suitcase, that's the only way I know that they removed the lock.

I used to use the ties, but you can't have nail clippers, etc with you on the plane anymore, and one time that I put it in the pocket of my suitcase, someone took it out - had to ask our cabin steward for a knife to get into my luggage!

(Now that I've posted this, I'll probably have a problem with my locks in January):rolleyes:

Happy Cruising!

Kim.[/quote']

Kim:

As of a long time ago, TSA permits nail clippers. See http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm for the official list. Perhaps your "friendly" TSA Agent had a hangnail they needed to take care of...

It really is pointless to lock your suitcase. Watch this video - unfortunately if someone really wants to get into it this is all they need to do :(

http://mosh.nokia.com/content/3EB82A6FB8ADF170E040050AEE040FBA

Not pointless. Locks are simply designed to keep honest people honest. That's why no valuables go into my luggage.

Not pointless. Locks are simply designed to keep honest people honest. That's why no valuables go into my luggage.

What does that even mean?:confused: Obviously honest people are not the ones breaking into suitcases. I was just pointing out that if someone really wanted to get into your suitcase a lock will not deter them, as the video shows. And yes, valuables should always be in a carry on.

a rather strange thing happened to me at Heathrow last month....I have a hard side with built in locks. I also use a TSA locking strap. Since Heathrow employees are not TSA, I was unsure what to do. I did lock the strap as usual and locked one lock only (of the two) on the hardside. When we arrived in Atlanta, BOTH locks were locked. Go figure.

I use TSA locks but rethinking my plan as on my last cruise to Caribbean out of Miami one TSA lock was missing on arriving in Miami and also returning home. No note in luggage either

I don't keep valuables in my checked bags anyway and on the return trip it is mostly smelly dirty clothes, but really put the lock back on when done inspecting

but really put the lock back on when done inspecting

The most likely reason the lock was not put back on-it was CUT off.

TSA supervisors are the only ones who have the keys or combos to the locks. So if the Supervisor is on a break, takes the day off or has just "disappeared" (usually the case), the locks are cut off.

I laugh every time I walk into JFK or Phoenix Sky Harbor. In the AA terminals, next to or on top of the baggage scanner thingy is a LARGE RED PAIR OF BOLT CUTTERS. They are not there for decoration.

Use the zip ties-brightly colored ones not only protect your luggage, but make it VERY easy to spot on the conveyor belt. Easy available, easily replaceable, and make SURE you pull them tight. Won't do you much good if they are left loose. Makes it harder for you to get the ties off at destination, but also makes it much harder for thieves to get into your bag in a hurry. Someone advocated leaving the tie loose enough to put a Bic pen through. BAD IDEA!!!

And if TSA cuts the zip ties off, they will generally replace your brightly colored ones with creme or grey. For some reason, when the locks are cut off, they very rarely replace the locks with zip ties. Don't know the reasons, but sure have seen it happen a lot (I fly a tremendous amount for business).

Didn't realize that it could be so easy. :eek:

That only works if your luggage has plastic zippers. Better luggage has metal zippers. Try it on your own jackets-metal ones can't be "fixed" without cutting. Plastic ones-called "self healing"- can come apart, be unzipped and put back together by rezipping.

Another thing to look for in luggage-METAL ZIPPERS.

That only works if your luggage has plastic zippers. Better luggage has metal zippers. Try it on your own jackets-metal ones can't be "fixed" without cutting. Plastic ones-called "self healing"- can come apart, be unzipped and put back together by rezipping.

Another thing to look for in luggage-METAL ZIPPERS.

Oh good to know........I'm checking the zippers on our luggage when I get home!

It really is pointless to lock your suitcase. Watch this video - unfortunately if someone really wants to get into it this is all they need to do :(

http://mosh.nokia.com/content/3EB82A6FB8ADF170E040050AEE040FBA

Of course if someone really wants to get into your luggage they can. And if someone really wants to kill the President, they can. But the President is still guarded, and I'm still going to lock my luggage.

Locks keep honest people honest.

Archived