pre-cruise questions for TP

nikita

First one - we arrive at 12:15am at the airport - at that time of night will we be able to exchange our money - or does the airport even have a place to do that? Are there ATM machines available at the airport?

Second - Do I need to bring a blow dryer or is the one in the room good enough?

Is it possible to book a dayroom at any of the major hotels in Papeete for the last day? If you've done it how much did it cost you?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but these are the ones I have now. And thank you so much for any answers you can give me!

We arrived at about the same time at night. We went directly to our hotel (Sheraton) and checked in. We exchanged a little money at the hotel the next morning and went into town, where we exchanged a larger amount at the bank. We found that the best rates were on the ship, but this was back in '04, so that might no longer be the case. If you are worried about paying for a taxi, most of the drivers will take USD, especially those hanging around the airport at that time of night.

After the cruise, we did a post cruise stay, so I can't help you with the day room question. However, I have seen that addressed on this site in other threads, so you might wnat to do a search for it.

The hair dryers in the TP cabins are a little wimpy. If you have lots of hair, it will take awhile for it to dry.

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Charlie

We did pay for a day room at the IC Papeete after the TP cruise. It was more than we had been quoted precruise, but at that point, we weren't going back to the ship. It was $194 for the day. We had been told it would be $100 for the day.

We never exchanged any money while we were there for 2 weeks. We either used our credit card or people took US dollars.

I brought my own hair dryer and was glad I did. The TP hair dryers are attached in the bathroom and get very hot to the touch if it takes longer than a couple of minutes. I preferred to do my hair sitting at the desk while my husband used the one in the bathroom. We were just on the TP last month. You will love it! :D

We just got back from the 10 day and did not have to exchange money at all. Used credit cards and US cash, which was widely accepted.

Try the Sheraton for a day room. I paid $125 for a day room (11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.) and had a room with an ocean view and nice balcony.

The hair dryer (I'm a guy) was perfectly adequate.

Have a great trip - it's in my top 5 of all time!

We just got back from the 10 day and did not have to exchange money at all. Used credit cards and US cash, which was widely accepted.

Try the Sheraton for a day room. I paid $125 for a day room (11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.) and had a room with an ocean view and nice balcony.

The hair dryer (I'm a guy) was perfectly adequate.

Have a great trip - it's in my top 5 of all time!

Did you pre-book your dayroom? We are staying at the Sheraton the night we get into the airport - do you think we can book it then or do you suggest we book it before we go? Thanks.

when you get to the airport - use the ATM that is near the snack shop - best rate you will get !

Larry

thank you for this tip! When you use the ATM does it give you an option of usd - I mean does it let you know how much the francs are when converted from USD? I don't know if that makes sense - but what I'm saying is this - I am really confused about the conversion ratio and would like to get out maybe $300 worth of francs - will I be able to figure this out easily at this ATM?

There is a currency exchange booth at the airport that will be open when you arrive. It always opens for plane arrivals. It offers the best exchange rate - even better than the banks in town. Plus, the banks have higher fees.

If you use the ATM - you get charges for foreign currency conversion.

Did you pre-book your dayroom? We are staying at the Sheraton the night we get into the airport - do you think we can book it then or do you suggest we book it before we go? Thanks.

I pre-booked the dayroom. Wanted to be sure I had someplace to go after the cruise and before the flight.

there are two banks at the airport that are open whenever flights arrive. just make sure that you count what is given you( smart wherever you are getting cash).

Everything says that tippingis not expected in FP, but, it is your judgement call. If service is good, we tip just as we would in the states.

if you have lots of hair, bring your own hairdryer.

Archived