GAVIN BLACK on TV

cunardqueen

.............. West Somerset ..............I'd love to go again - it's a lovely line and the GWR is my first love with railways...... Matthew

Hi Kindlychap.

I know its far off topic now, but I did'nt believe to find somebody interested in steam trains in here. I've been to England quite often just for the pleasure to ride with steam trains. I also was on a train behind the famous LNER "Flying Scotsman" and on another one behind GWR "King Edward I" out to Bristol Temple Meads. We too have been on the West Somerset and on numerous other preserverd lines.

It would be fine if you tell me your railway experiences. (Maybe in another drifted Thread):)

Kind regards

Hi Kindlychap.

I know its far off topic now, but I did'nt believe to find somebody interested in steam trains in here. I've been to England quite often just for the pleasure to ride with steam trains. I also was on a train behind the famous LNER "Flying Scotsman" and on another one behind GWR "King Edward I" out to Bristol Temple Meads. We too have been on the West Somerset and on numerous other preserverd lines.

It would be fine if you tell me your railway experiences. (Maybe in another drifted Thread):)

Kind regards

As a child, my first journey on the Cornish Riviera Express, pulled by a splendid GWR steam engine, in, probably, its final year, when it went along the sea wall through Dawlish, was something almost equal in wonder to my first Transatlantic on QE2, many years later.

As a child, my first journey on the Cornish Riviera Express, pulled by a splendid GWR steam engine, in, probably, its final year, when it went along the sea wall through Dawlish, was something almost equal in wonder to my first Transatlantic on QE2, many years later.

I'm now seriously jealous!

Matthew

Lovely. Were you on Exmoor? You probably saw part of the West Somerset Railway which runs from Taunton to Minehead past some of the most spectacular moorland and coastal scenery in England. The steam trains stop at seven or eight delightful tiny old stations - Dunster in particular - which is just like something out of the 1920s/30s, complete with authentic cases and trunks on the porters' barrows.

Dunster village is well worth a visit, it is so pretty.

I used to come down quite a lot, we would stay in a large Caravan in Blue Anchor Bay, and visit all the loca places, Minehead, Dunster, Porlock etc and ride on the train ! :D

...........when it went along the sea wall through Dawlish, was something almost equal in wonder to my first Transatlantic on QE2, many years later.

I can agree on that. Our first cruise was a TA with QM2 as you can see below. It's a moment not to forget until my eyes will went dark, when we saw Ms. Liberty in the morning mist after 6 days out on the big pond. Sadly we missed Concorde, but instead of I was on the footplate of the famous "Flying Scotsman". Now its obiously clear that I'm an engineer from head to toe.

Sorry Mr. Black for beeing a bit off this thread which is dedicated to your TV spot (wich I really enjoyed). Lets talk about this next year on the way to the land of the midnight sun.;)

I can agree on that. Our first cruise was a TA with QM2 as you can see below. It's a moment not to forget until my eyes will went dark, when we saw Ms. Liberty in the morning mist after 6 days out on the big pond. Sadly we missed Concorde, but instead of I was on the footplate of the famous "Flying Scotsman". Now its obiously clear that I'm an engineer from head to toe.

Sorry Mr. Black for beeing a bit off this thread which is dedicated to your TV spot (wich I really enjoyed). Lets talk about this next year on the way to the land of the midnight sun.;)

One of my favourite events is "Cab it" at the National Railway Museum in York.

Sitting in the drivers seat of Mallard is really quite something. Standing on the footplate of City of Truro equally so.

Actually driving Defiant was a great experience too.

Oh, and the Flight Engineer's seat on Concorde, on the stand at Heathrow, was pretty good too.......

Matthew

Don`t worry Robert, i think people have seen enough of me now !!! :eek: :D

Im looking foward to the Iceland and Norway trip, i did it in June this year and it was breathtaking !! :)

regards,

Gav :cool:

at the NRM ..........drivers seat of Mallard .............footplate of City of Truro .........driving Defiant .........seat on Concorde.......Matthew

The race is going on, who has been on/in more unique engines.

I've been on 3 of the A4s (Mallard type) altough not during service, on uncountable preserved lines all over the world (from Puffing Billy in Australia to Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad ....) and even on Bullet Trains in Japan although just in regular service.

An absolute highlight was the engine room of MS Westerdam, where I spent more then 2 hour "down below" last winter. I spent 4 pages of my cruise diary to this event. Just the way to get a permission was an adventure itself.

Kind regards

Any rough riding in the northern waters? Because all cruises went far to smoothly for a little sailor (license for lakes).

No nothing very rough, the weather generaly was lovely, very sunny in Norway and little if any mist ! :D

One of my favourite events is "Cab it" at the National Railway Museum in York.

Sitting in the drivers seat of Mallard is really quite something.

Matthew

Matthew, I knew if I waited long enough I would find a positive side to be 'slightly' older than you. I went on Mallard many times as a child, visiting family in Yorkshire.

A very old and decrepit Mary

Matthew, I knew if I waited long enough I would find a positive side to be 'slightly' older than you. I went on Mallard many times as a child, visiting family in Yorkshire.

I have a Steam Engine named after me. It is a 71/4 gauge model of a Hunslett which is still running on the Welsh narrow gauge railway. My husband built it and we pull 3 coaches behind it to give chidren rides.

Sorry Gav it really is 'off subject'

I have a Steam Engine named after me. It is a 71/4 gauge model of a Hunslett which is still running on the Welsh narrow gauge railway. My husband built it and we pull 3 coaches behind it to give chidren rides.

That is impressive to have something tangable named after you.

Building a locomotive is also not a simple task either of course, credit there too!

This thread has now gone completely off the RAILS !!!!!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:

This thread has now gone completely off the RAILS !!!!!! :eek: :p :rolleyes:

Dear Mr. Black, you just have to be on TV again and this thread will be on the right track very soon. BTW years ago we went to London Olympia Hall for a model exhibition, suddenly BBC1 showed up with a camera and a microphone and asked me some questions about models and so on.

When we came home to our B&B and turned on the idiot box we saw ourselves giving an interview about the modelrailway on my loft. By sheer chance our landlady hat the recorder running so I still have the tape with myself on BBC1 (as an Austrian).

So stay around whenever you see somebody from BBC or similar and try to get in front of the cam. And dont forget you have to :) .

Hundreds of stories like this made me falling in love with England

Regards

On the footplate?

Matthew

Archived