Diamond Princess Waitlist or What?

katredd

:) Hello everyone -- Thanks so much for these boards! They are such a help to all of us. DH, DD, DS, and I are booked on the 8/9/08 Diamond Princess Alaska cruise... We have a minisuite booked and are apparently #1 on the Waitlist for the Family Suite (D104). Here's my question for all you experienced Princess folks out there -- does anyone ever get the room they are waitlisted for? And one other question -- it doesn't seem like there are many suites beside the family suite that can accomodate 4 people -- even though they have a lot of square footage... any suggestions on suites that can hold 4 that I may have overlooked?

Thanks very much for your help!

I am guessing that your children are rather young in age? If so, then the family suite will certainly give you the most room while still putting you all in one room.

Another option, although it may be taken already, is to book two of the very few true connecting rooms (such as A709/A715). You would have everything except the family 'room' with the sofas. It also costs less than the family suite.

As far as the waitlist question goes, yes, people do clear, but it all just depends on the people who hold the booking currently. Some cancel because plans change, some wait until final payment. It just depends, and with such low inventory of this type room, your odds are not as good as for another type of room.

Another alternative are balcony cabins, as on most of them the partitions open so you can go between one balcony and the other. There are a few that don't so be sure and double-check when you book if you use this option. Just a thought in case the family suite and/or adjoining cabins don't work out :)

Katredd, I saw on one of your other posts that your children will be 9 and 11 next year. Many people with families that age do put the children in their own cabin, right next door to your own as custompcsys suggested. I do realize this is a personal decision, and not all parents are comfortable with that set-up. But it is an option.

I also want to double check that you realize that the Family Suite rate applies to all four of you in that room, so booking two minis or two balconies will be less costly, compared to the Family Suite.

As for your question about the waitlist for cabin type, it depends on the cabin category, the length of the waitlist, and how long until sailing. If there are only a few or just one cabin of the type waitlisted and you're more than 3 or 4 on the list, chances are very, very slim. However, if you're waitlisted for a balcony room, of which there are many more cabins, and are only 3 or 4 on the list, your chances increase. It's all in the math and "probabilities." :)

Archived