Helpful information & tips Crown Princess

CMM

Lots of reviews out there that are sum up my feelings so I thought I would pass along some things I found helpful or useful on my first Princess cruise.

-Sailed on 9/06/07. If you are looking for an almost kid free cruise experience this appears to be the time to do it. We cruised 2 different years(once on carnival)in early Sept. and found this to be the case.

-There are needlepoint kits for sale in the library. I bought a cute change purse kit for $5. My mom enjoys this type of stuff, but I had never tried it. How relaxing to sit out watching the ocean. Also a nice sovenier. It had a nautical look and Princess on it.

-The library lends out games like scrabble and pictionary. They also had FREE double decks of cards that said Princess on them that were yours to keep. Also the library had a nice selection of port related books.

-The International Cafe sells a stainless steel looking travel mug for $7.95 with the princess logo on it.

-If you order Tea at the international cafe there is a charge. It is Lipton tea just like room service or the buffet. They will put it in a paper to go cup for you if your heading out at ports.

-The food is awesome at the international cafe. The cakes/pies are even better quality than the dinning room, but appear to be mostly available during the day.

-The lunch menu has a couple of full breakfast entrees available for late risers + a continental breakfast.

-They will hound you at every turn of the galley tour to buy their cookbook. If this type of thing bugs you skip the tour.

-The ships doctor seemed reasonable. Our friend had a bad case of poison Ivy. He went to the doctor and was given 2 filled prescriptions and the charge was only $80. This would have been more at home.

-Afternoon tea is enjoyable. Consider going even if alone. They put me at a big table and it was very nice.

-You can get a sovenier martini glass at Crooners. It has a crooked stem and Crooners etched into the glass.

-Photos are $25. I was shocked at the cost. We took so many nice pictures with our camera. Have someone take your photo on the large staircase it comes out nice.

-Print a list of favorite drinks off these boards and bring it with you. I enjoyed getting ideas before my trip, but I didn't write them down. The printed cocktail menu is limited and they bar staff is friendly, but couldn't make suggestions.

-They advertised a reusable underwater camera for $19. I didn't get one as I had a disposable, but thought it was a decent offer.

-I asked for a top sheet for the bed and was glad. The duvet idea isn't great when you are hot, but still like something light covering you. The room steward put it on right away. I found no need for an egg crate mattress cover. The bed was so comfortable.

-If you like non-alcoholic drinks order the colds soups in the dinning room. They are served in a glass with a straw and are great.

-Crab legs and Lobster tails were excellent in the dinning room. We enjoyed double servings!

-I read a suggestion of bringing along an over the shower head organizer for the small shower. Without it our soap kept slipping to the floor and it is a pain to try and pick something up. It only cost $1 and did help.

-I also appreciated the tip on the safe. When it starts to beep you need to shut it. If it doesn't work try it without the last digit and it works. If you take too long it drops a digit. Ours went down to 2 towards the end of the cruise. Your room steward can call a supervisor to reset it for you. Take your stuff out the night before if leaving early in the AM.

-bought a 4 pack of electric tea lights at Bed Bath & Beyond. These are really nice and even flicker. A great addition to an inside cabin.

-Carry your Patters- daily schedule with you. There is so much going on. A small purse to carry the patters and your room card is nice to have.

-Bring a Watch! This was a problem for my husband and his friend who rely on their cell phones for the time. There wasn't cell service for most of the trip and they were at a loss.

-Bring some beverages for your cabin. My husband is a pepsi addict and really enjoyed a can every day. They only sell Coke products onboard. We bought a 12 pack in a big ziplock in our suitcase (we didn't fly)

- Our bag with the beverages arrived much later than the others. Don't pack anything you need for dinner the first night in your beverage bag. Security said they look at things like that longer

I appreciate all thegreat information I read on this site before my cruise & thought I would pass along some ideas.

I am sure there are more tips out there...............

Thanks for the great info !!! I have a few questions :

Needlepoint Kits in the Library : They sell those in the Library ? Who would have thought to even look in there for that. Also, are you saying you bought one for your mother or that you bought one and did it yourself for the first time ? Always wanted to try this, ( thought I would wait until I was a little older), love the thought that you got one and the instructions were so clear that you were able to do it !!!

Crab Legs & Lobster Tails : Do you know what night this was in the dinning room ?

Room Safe : Can you explain more about this, I have not heard any problems concerning this ! I'm a little confused, ( this does not take much !), are you saying that if you open your safe and keep it open to long the code will no longer work ?

-bought a 4 pack of electric tea lights at Bed Bath & Beyond. These are really nice and even flicker. A great addition to an inside cabin.

And every single cruise line BEGS passengers NOT to use any kind of candles onboard so please take note of the ELECTRIC in the above suggestion!

But besides the tea lights and the shower holder and the shampoos and the hair dryer casue my wife has a LT of hair and needs a powerful one.......

I have a balcony so Im going to bring my rod and reel and net .....I hope the folks around me dont my the bait and tackle smell too much. But if the catching is good all the near rooms can join me in really fresh fish dinner.

They say the balcony dinner has a 10% discount if you ring your own catch.

PS ive added a lot more line to my reel so we dont have to worry about tangling the propeller!

Thanks for the great info !!! I have a few questions :

Needlepoint Kits in the Library : They sell those in the Library ? Who would have thought to even look in there for that. Also, are you saying you bought one for your mother or that you bought one and did it yourself for the first time ? Always wanted to try this, ( thought I would wait until I was a little older), love the thought that you got one and the instructions were so clear that you were able to do it !!!

Crab Legs & Lobster Tails : Do you know what night this was in the dinning room ?

Room Safe : Can you explain more about this, I have not heard any problems concerning this ! I'm a little confused, ( this does not take much !), are you saying that if you open your safe and keep it open to long the code will no longer work ?

The room safe lets you pick 4 numbers for your code. If you find it isn't working try entering just the first 3 numbers of your code. It seems to drop a number if you take too long to close the door. I would often walk away from the safe and go get something. If your standing right there, it shouldn't be a problem as it gives you some warning beeps that the door should be closed. If you still can't get it open the room steward can call their supervisor to reset it for you.

The needlepoint kit I bought and worked on myself. It was easy to do and gives you a needle, thread, instructions. Even though it was just little change purse, I only got a small area done. Give it a try.

The lobster was served on the second formal night and the crab legs were served on the second to last night. We were on a 9N trip. Can't remember what the menu theme was.

Hope this answers your questions & enjoy your trip.

The needlepoint kit I bought and worked on myself. It was easy to do and gives you a needle, thread, instructions. Even though it was just little change purse, I only got a small area done. Give it a try.

Thanks for the info, but you buy this in the Library ?

Thanks for the info, but you buy this in the Library ?

Yes, the needlepoint kits were sold in the library. I'm not sure why. A crew member is there to check out books and had them on the desk in front of him. I later saw it listed in one of the patters.

Yes, the needlepoint kits were sold in the library. I'm not sure why. A crew member is there to check out books and had them on the desk in front of him. I later saw it listed in one of the patters.

Thanks for the info, just might try it !!!

I have always done the pre pay tips and also extra at the end. Also for room service. I've been reading that people tip in the dinning room at meals as well. Is this true? Have I missed something?

We tipped at the end of our meal at the Crown Grill. That was the speciality Steak House with an additional Charge. We asked about tipping there and were told if we put a tip on our on board account it would go into the general pool. If we left cash it would go directly to the Crown Grill staff.

• 2 weeks later...
CMM- Do you remeber what time the breakfast & lunch are in the "main" dining room? Thanks.:)

I just unearthed my patters and thought I could answer this and oddly enough they don't list this in there. I can say that they had the dinning room open during times we wanted to eat & didn't have a problem and I was pleased to see that they don't close the main dinning room on port days.

I also thought of a few other things. Princess will provide you nice robes if you ask so don't pack them. There is also a clothes line you can pull across in the shower to hang wet swim wear.

Make sure you wait for the "Beep" when you enter your cruisecard into the scanner after returning to the ship when in port (at security). I thought I did this correct, but they were paging me many many times prior to sailaway. I was napping and had turned off my phone. It was nice to know princess was making sure I was back, I just thought they took off with or without everyone!

Archived