Cable Ties

shamrox91

We stopped using locks on our luggage and now only use cable ties when we travel. For our cruise in 2 weeks we are driving to the port and not flying. I was curious if the other travelers out there who drive to port rather than flying use locks or ties on their luggage.

Brian and I are what I call "Belt AND Suspenders" kind of people.

We use TSA locks with Search Alert and luggage seals (fancy cable ties for luggage) from TamperSeal dot com.

Since having this setup, we have never had anything lost or taken from our bags and we know which compartments of which bags have been inspected or rumaged through.

In 2004 I think it was we went on a land vacation to Barbados, flying from NYC to Miami and then Miami to Barbados (four hour layover). At that time all we used was colored cable ties. The people who robbed things from our bag put colored cable ties back on the bags! American Airlines Barbados reimbursed us on the second day of our vacation for the items stolen---hand delivered a company check to the hotel!---seems this happens a lot going through Miami.

Leslie

Brian and I are what I call "Belt AND Suspenders" kind of people.

We use TSA locks with Search Alert and luggage seals (fancy cable ties for luggage) from TamperSeal dot com.

We are going through Miami, so I'm a little nervous. Can you use the TSA locks for both the air part of the trip as well as getting on/off the ship?? Thanks.

We drive to all our cruises and always use combination locks. I throw some cable ties into an outer pocket just in case. Why would you not lock or secure your suitcase for when it is out of your sight?

Locks keep honest people honest.

If we fly, we use cable ties. Everyone in the world has keys to the TSA locks by now.

Everyone may have keys to TSA locks by now, but I doubt it. Anyone with a nail clipper can cut off a cable tie, and there's no doubt that most people have them. I'm still going to use TSA locks onto and off the ship.

Click here for an example of a cable tie.

Archived