Packing Tips

JudithLynne

Ok...what in the world are space bags?

They are large nylon bags with a zip lock type top and a one way valve to let air out but not back in. With the ones for traveling you get the air out by rolling the bag. (They make other ones for home storage where you use a vacuum cleaner to get the air out.) Clothes take up a lot less space when you squeeze the air out.

Space Bag is a brand name. There are other brands of compression bag too. They remind me of a picture in Consumer Reports article on trash compactors. It showed bags of trash before and after compacting and was captioned something like "Do you really need an appliance that turns 40 pounds of trash into 40 pounds of trash?" Well sometimes you do. On a recent trip where luggage size was an issue, I used an Eagle Creek compressor bag. Polo shirts, t-shirts, socks, etc compressed to take up well under half their uncompressed space.

If you have a big suitcase, these may get you into an overweight luggage fee.

I've used space bags for years, and they don't wrinkle your clothes any more than conventional packing. I find them helpful in organizing the clothes, and everything fits better in the suitcase. They also make it easier if you need to have your luggage inspected at the airport.

A packing tip I learned from an airline rep years ago is to never pack all your clothes in one suitcase. Pack half of your clothes, and half of your travel mates in each suitcase. If one piece of your luggage goes astray, you will arrive at your destination with half of your underwear, swimsuits, evening wear, casual clothes, etc. You will have enough to wear until your luggage catches up to you. Happy sailing everyone!

We are on the 9-26 cruise out of Vancouver. 11 day Hawaii.

I am really grateful for this info on space bags. After I finish this current load of laundry, I will be on my way to WalMart to search them out. I would order on ebay but am worried that they would not arrive in time. Of course, I can always use them on my next cruise in April.

Will let you know how I do at Walmart.

Just back from Walmart. Found them in the Sporting Goods section with the camping gear. Made by Coleman they come 3 to a package (1 small, 1 medium, 1 large) for $9.64. Not bad and what a great idea! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

We are also on the 9/26 cruise to Hawaii and are flying through the same cities. I am wondering if we might be on the same flights. We are on Alaska Air to Vancouver leaving very early in the morning.

Also, have you checked out the Celebrity Connections Roll Call for this cruise? There are quite a few of us who have been getting to know each other there.

I know you are over in Tally. I'm in Valdosta. Since Airtran left the airport there the flights are really up. I'm trying to get a decent price to FLL in Dec and having a hard time. What's the scuttle butt over there? Any chance of another airline coming in? I sure could use a good special from there!

Do you know if there is any off site parking that is cheaper longterm than the airport lot?

For Teri:

We are flying out of SF on United around 11 AM arriving in Vancouver at 1 PM. Sure feel sorry for those folks flying into Seattle and being bussed from there. Would hate that.

I don't think our Walmart is big enough to carry three different size boxes of spacebags. Am already wondering how many of these bags I should have. Wish I had known about them sooner.

We wear things twice, including formal wear, and if necessary will wash out a lightweight synthetic item using my shower gel.

We haven't yet had to use the ship's laundry or laundromat, but with a world cruise of 112 days coming up, I think we'll have to do that many times.

slinkie

JudithLynne:

Oh....we are flying out at 7:00 a.m. :eek: and getting in at 9:30 a.m. Guess we won't be on the same flight.

Are you staying over in Honolulu after the cruise or flying straight home? We are staying one extra night and flying out late.

Be sure to check the roll calls for our cruise!! There are many fun people and we are planning to get together for the Celebrity Connections party the ship will have for us. There are over 40 people signed up. If you aren't signed up, go on the Celebrity website and sign up and join us, o.k.?

Some of us are going to get together for martinis at some point!! ;)

Hope to see you on the roll call list AND on the ship. :D

Teri

When I shop for vacation clothes, I look for dresses that fold small and do not wrinkle. I have a few dresses by Ralph Lauren that fold to a small square and do not wrinkle. A few dresses like that, a pretty pashmina and sexy sandles and you are set...you don't even have to recycle.

Just back from Walmart. Found them in the Sporting Goods section with the camping gear. Made by Coleman they come 3 to a package (1 small, 1 medium, 1 large) for $9.64. Not bad and what a great idea! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

They are not made by Coleman. Space Bag packages sets of the travel bags under Coleman, Samsonite and American Tourister labels.

I can appreciate buying clothes that pack well. I sew and am now careful about materials. (i.e. packability) Light weight poyester packs real well. Am sewing some new clothes for this trip as I have lost 50 lbs in the last year. My old cruise clothes swim on me. Am down 6 sizes!

I am sewing mix and match as suggested and will recycle clothes as suggested. I got a basic black light weight polyester skirt off a sale rack last week so I am thinking ahead.

For Teri: Will look at the roll call and celebrity party. We are also staying one night in Honolulu post cruise. We got a Celebrity add on at the Hilton and will fly out in the afternoon on 10-8.

No..I havent heard about any new airlines replacing airtran. Nice of them to leave after we payed them all that incentive money! I had planned to use a free flight. Believe we'll just drive now. And as far as parking goes...outta luck there also. Hubby travels quite a bit, and he doesnt know of any alternatives close by.

sharkeymon,

I would buy the travel bags so you don't have to worry, but if you take your old bags and need a vaccuum you'll need to get it from the cabin steward. Allow time for him to get it to you and don't wait till last minute. If you buy the travel bags you can just roll the air out.

sunpsyche,

Thanks. That's what I figured. I did find a cheaper flight for teedee tonight, but not for me. I just hate to ruin a good relaxing vacation by driving that far home. When my mom still lived down there, I made too many weekend trips checking on her. Got real old! Although I got where I would leave work on Friday, drive to Vero Beach, spend the night, give myself a couple of pleasant hours of shopping at that nice outlet mall there and then drive on to Pompano. Made the trip a little bettter!

All items that are in our carry on's, are in zip plastic bags, when you go through the security at airport or ship, they can see exactly what is in each bag with out any trouble or opening each one.

One other thing, we pack a coil key ring for each of us. When we get our boarding, charge card, door key card, we go to the pursers desk and ask them to punch a hole in the card, attach it to the key ring and put it around our wrist. Easy access to cabin or getting on or off the ship for the machines.

When we pack for our cruises, we pack two 6 packs of water (the kind wrapped in plastic). We put one in the bottom of each suitcase. When we get to our room, we put the water out and have always had the room steward put a few bottles on ice. That way you have good tasting water to drink at any time in your room. If we go on an excursion, we can take a cold water bottle with us and not have to pay the high prices the cruise line charges for water. Another advantage to this is it gives us room in our suitcases for souvenirs when we leave.

We also have each piece of formal wear on hangers with the plastic from the dry cleaners over each one. When we put them in our suitcases and fold them in half or thirds, the plastic reduces the wrinkles. (our suitcases have a side compartment just for hanging things with an elastic strap to hold them in place).

We fold each piece of clothing neatly to avoid wrinkles before leaving home, but when we pack to return home, we roll everything as tightly as possible. We also have the space bags which are a great help. These two procedures give you more room to pack the extra items you always seem to purchase!

If you sign up for the Cruise Critic Onboard Parties through your cruiseline, they hold a gathering just for your group (you have to have at least 25 sign up) and you are given a lanyard that you can put your room key/card on. You don't have anything dangling from your wrists so your hands are free and it can be worn outside your clothing around the ship or put inside your clothing when you go on an excursion.

We always pack an extension cord so we have extra outlets for a clock, curling irons, and battery chargers (phones, cameras, seascooter). When our daughter travels with us, we really need the extra plugs. To avoid the possibility of not having one suitcase make it to the ship, we line up each person's suitcase and interpack each person's clothing between the 2-3 suitcases. That way you will always have clothing even if one of your suitcases gets lost.

I hope these tips we use will help you.

Judith Lynne: Did you check out the Celebrity Roll Call for our cruise yet? Be sure to sign up for Celebrity Connections at the Celebrity website too. We can meet at the party they will put on for us then.

Teri

You've never had the water break? Last trip (Century) my hardsided suitcase was destroyed!

I've never gotten a lanyard at a cc party. Is this an old thing or new? My last cc was June and my first was in 03.

What's a seascooter?

Thanks!

We never received the lanyard from Mercury or twice on Horizon CC parties.Our last cruise was in Jan. of 04. Thats why I bring my own. I bring the coil for the wrist too. Some times I prefer the wrist one.

We also criss cross in the packing. Also one day clothing, for day and casual evening in our carry ons.

No, the water has never broken. We put it in the middle on the bottom of our suitcases. We have the kind that roll so it seems to be protected by the reinforced area where the wheels are. We have soft sided luggage and have never had a problem. Even if it did spring a leak, we figure it is just water.

You've never received a lanyard? Even on the CC website it says you get a lanyard! Maybe somebody is keeping them for themselves! Sorry about that.

A seascooter is a battery operated personal propeller for use when snorkeling or scuba diving. It runs at 2 mph at a depth to 65 feet and has a battery life of one hour (or you can get a bigger battery for 2 hours). My husband says to tell you it is his 'James Bond Toy'!! You can see what it looks like if you go to http://www.seascooter.net/more_det.htm. We bought ours at Ebay. We love to snorkel and snuba but due to polio, my husband has a bad leg and has difficulty keeping up with everyone. This allows him to snorkel/snuba with us and enjoy himself more. It comes with its own carry bag with enough room for him to put his toiletries and change of clothes and uses it as his carryon luggage.

Teri

Archived