What to do with 6 hours in NYC and luggage?

LHobbs

We have at leasts 6 hours in NYC after our cruise and before we check in for our plane. We would just catch a cab and go into Manhatten and spend time but we will have all our luggage. I know there are no lockers anymore and I don't think you can check luggage early. Any ideas or suggestions? Really don't want to just sit in the airport for 6 hours. The only post cruise options from the cruiseline are staying over another night. Since we are coming in precruise we didn't feel the need to stay another night post cruise. Thanks for any suggestions.

Linda

The only solution to this problem that others have been able to come up with is either rent a car or hire a private tour that will allow you to keep your luggage in the limo or whatever they will be using for the tour.

Occasionally, you can find hotels that will offer you a day rate so you can keep your luggage there.

There really doesnt seem to be a nice and easy way to store luggage, other than these options.

It sure would be nice if the cruise line would keep them for you, but no such luck.

Thanks. That's the only solution I can come up with. too. Looks like about $285 to book a limo and tour with pickup at dock and delivery to airport. Hate to spend that much after the cruise, but hate even more to sit at the airport.

Linda

Depending on which airport you are flying out of and which day of the week you are getting off the ship, might also have an influence on how much actual time you will have for sight seeing.

Do you know if the ship offers any sight seeing tours? If so, you might be wise to book one of those as your luggage will be with you on the bus. And the bus will drop you off at your airport.

We dock on Monday 10/11 at 0700. We are leaving from LaGaurdia at 7:30 PM. I didn't realize the ships dock in Manhatten so that could potentially help. Unfortunately the cruise line doesn't offer any post cruise tours. I was planning on that option from other cruises that I have taken. We always do the post cruise tour for the tramsportation to the airport as much as anything else.

Linda

This may or may not work in NYC. We used self storage in Hawaii and it worked well. No place to leave luggage while we went on a helicopter and shore cruise for 2 days. Asked the front desk at the hotel and they suggested one of the self storage places. It was $30.00 for two days and they kept our luggage in the office.

Call one of the storage places that is open 7 days a week. Here is a link to one of the larger ones in NYC. Their 10th Ave. location is not far from the pier.

Even if you had to pay for an entire month, it is cheaper than the limo.

http://www.americanselfstorage.com/faq.php

We had a 5:30 p.m. flight out of LGA after our cruise. By the time we got a cab and to the airport, it was 12:30. When we checked in, the agent asked if we'd like to take an earlier flight--1:30. We were thrilled not to have to wait.

Unfortunately the only other earlier flight is 10:25 AM. Was afraid to book that early.

Thanks for the tip on hotels and offering a tip.

We won't let it out of our sight unless we find a reputable place to store it.

Linda

I didn't realize the ships dock in Manhatten ...

Just very confused here .. on the Celebrity Roll Call board, you state: "We are staying at the Paramount. It's very close to Times Square. I think it has been recently remodeled and might be changed to the Hard Rock or owned by them or something. Know nothing about it but it looked nice and was a good price so I figured can't go too far wrong for one night." It is apparent that you know the ship docks in Manhattan, as you are staying there.

Looks like about $285 to book a limo and tour with pickup at dock and delivery to airport.

More confusion. Once again, on the Celebrity Roll Call board, you state: "I have found a limo tour of NYC for $175.00 that will pick us up at the ship, do the tour, and take us to the airport. That doesn't seem like too bad a deal for two people." This was posted on August 26. Has the price gone up $110 in 4 days?

Thanks for the scrutiny. I did not know where the ships docked when I booked the trip. Chose the Paramount to come in a day early and spend some time in NYC. Got a good deal on Cheap Tickets. Was not booking based on where ships docked. Booked it based on where we wanted to spend time before the cruise knowing we would have plenty of time to get to the ship on 10/1 where ever it was docked. Decided to take this trip somewhat last minute so hadn't had a chance to think about post cruise yet.

When I spoke to the limo company they did not tell me that the $175.00 tour was only 3 hours and an addional $55/hour for longer time frame. I thought that we would probably want to occupy at least 5 hours of time. So there's the additional cost.

Hope this clears up the "confusion".

Linda

TWA4Ever - you apparently have too much time on your hands. What difference does any of that make to you!?

LHobbs, I just wanted to mention that I have stayed at the Paramount before and was very pleased with it. Most hotel rooms in NY are so small you can bearly pass someone without one of you jumping on the bed to get out of the way, and these rooms were actually not too bad size-wise. The area is a very safe one, as well.

Have a great time!

Archived