Tahitian Princess What to do? What to do?

conan

I may have posted this before but can't find it.

I have always wanted to tour French Polynesia on the Tahitian Princess. Now that the decision has been made to terminate that itinerary, the need is more immediate. I am, however, finding it difficult to convince others to come along and I can't go solo. The arguments are that it's too far to go to sit on a boat and look at the water AND that the shorex offered by Princess are not inviting. DW is not a snorkeler. Yet I see many cruisers who have made this trip 4 and 5 times. They must know something. What shorex are worthwhile? What is there to do besides drive around each island on a truck? Does anyone know of worthy private guides to use? Shopping has never been high on my priority list, no matter what port I've visited.

Any suggestions?

Although there are many land tours in Tahiti, it definitely is a water lovers paradise. We have visited 5 times and would go again if the opportunity shows up. We are avid snorklers and the waters off Tahiti spoil you for any snorkeling anywhere else in the world. In fact, we are currently looking into a land vacation on one of the Islands. A cruise around Tahiti lets you experience a little bit of each island either by sea or land.

Private tours are available on many of the islands and taxis are waiting at the pier on some of them for those last minute tours that aren't pre-arranged.

But if you miss the waters of Tahiti, to me, that would be missing the very best part of this experience.

GO - even if your DW is not a snorkeler there are many ways to enjoy Tahiti. To see the coral and fish,there are "submarine" and glass bottom boat trips. You can visit the rays and sharks and never leave the boat. You can travel by boat to a motu (island) for a picnic. There are great 4x4 jeep trips. The pearl farms are fascinating (especially on Rangiroa) even if you don't buy anything. You can do the whole trip and never once take a Princess shore trip. We did the whole thing with cc friends from our roll call. we saved a ton of money and loved every second.

Tahiti is not to be missed.

We are also from Ontario and not great snorklers. We plan to tour on our own by picking up tours as we go. We will however go in the water. Keep in mind that after the fall of 2008 I think Princess won't be doing this cruise. We are booked on April 8th and remember to book in US dollars. The only caveat is that you need to arrange your own air from Toronto to LA but you can pick up Princess's air from there to Tahiti. It is a must. A trip of a life time

Ontario cruiser:)

We did this trip last fall. Used ff miles from T.O. to L.A. (Air Canada) then booked our own flights with Air Tahiti Nui from L.A. to Tahiti (seat sale).

But I know others have used Princess air from T.O. (all arranged for you).

We also read about cc members booking independently with Marc & also Bruno, on the South Pacific threads and so that is what we did.

These were all day excursions ... picnic at tables in the water, swimming, snorkeling, visit to pearl farm, vanilla farm and island tour in jeep (with Marc). The best 2 days of the trip.

On a couple of other islands we rented a car.

We took only 2 Princess excursions...glass bottom boat and snorkle/picnic on motu.

A few people on each of the excursions stayed on the boat or at the beach while the others snorkled.

It is a water person's type of holiday.

I may have posted this before but can't find it.

I have always wanted to tour French Polynesia on the Tahitian Princess. Now that the decision has been made to terminate that itinerary, the need is more immediate. I am, however, finding it difficult to convince others to come along and I can't go solo. The arguments are that it's too far to go to sit on a boat and look at the water AND that the shorex offered by Princess are not inviting. DW is not a snorkeler. Yet I see many cruisers who have made this trip 4 and 5 times. They must know something. What shorex are worthwhile? What is there to do besides drive around each island on a truck? Does anyone know of worthy private guides to use? Shopping has never been high on my priority list, no matter what port I've visited.

Any suggestions?

I think those who you are asking to go have no idea, really no idea at all what they are missing. The FP islands are some of the most beautiful islands in the world. The natural beauty is pristine and if one can't appreciate that try getting a new battery for their pacemaker. :D There are many and various tours offered by Princess and by outside companies and something should be of interest to them. The service and food on the TP is amazing too. I hope you can find someone to go with you. If not you are missing a great chance to see one of the most beautiful spots in the world. Good luck, Larry :)

Archived