Camp Carnival Age Restrictions?

peanutzmom

When we cruise, my kids will be 8.5 and 10 (we actually sail out his 10th birthday). It looks like Camp Carnival is broken up into 6-8 and 9-11. I can tell you right now, my 8-yr-old will NOT stay at Camp Carnival if she'll be separated from her brother. Will they let him stay with the younger group or her with the older ones? To be honest, I'm nervous about allowing him in the 9-11 group at all. I do NOT want him signing himself out, and I do NOT want him participating in unsupervised scavenger hunts, etc., which seem to show up quite regularly in the Camp Carnival Capers. Anyway, getting back to my original question -- do they make exceptions for the age limits for siblings?

I'm sorry to say that I do not think they would be able to be together. I have never seen an exception made to the policy. I think they would be concerned that if they allow it for one family, they would have to allow it for all. My kids are not spaced so they can participate together either, but they have suprised me by doing very well on their own.

They make exceptions on a "trial basis" IF the kids are close enough in age. We did this on our last cruise, the child was 5 turning 6...she wanted to be with her 7 year old brother and my 7 year old daughter...we went to Orientation and I told the girl's mom to ask NICELY. The counselor said she could do it on a TRIAL basis. Well that trial basis became the rest of the week...no problems.

But just prepare your daughter that she may *not* be allowed to move up. Show her the acitivites for her age group. Try to get her excited about being in her own group with her own friends.

My kids are always in separate groups. And they each make their own friends. I kind of like it like that. ;)

Agreed that it's idiosyncratic to your sailing. If, for example, the younger group is full, it may not be possible to lower the older one down, but there's room in the older group, it may not be safe for a younger child to be bumped up as the activities are meant to be age-appropriate. If you want to maximize the odds there'll be flexibility, sail when you could reasonably expect the kids' club not to be hoppin'. (i.e., at inconvenient times for yourself, too, unfortunately.) And, I wouldn't count on thiis occuring - plan for the worst, hope for the best, so maybe some talks with your kids about what to expect would help prepare them in case they're separated?

• 2 years later...

I see this was posted 3 years ago, I am hoping that they haven't gotten stricter in the past few years. We will be traveling in Feb 2011 and by then we will have a 6.5 & 5.5 yr old boys. I am hoping that they will be able to be in the camp together since camp is broken up into 2-5 yrs old and 6-8 yrs old. They are like twins and do everything together and are both very shy and don't make friends very easily, so fingers crossed for Feb! :)

I see this was posted 3 years ago, I am hoping that they haven't gotten stricter in the past few years. We will be traveling in Feb 2011 and by then we will have a 6.5 & 5.5 yr old boys. I am hoping that they will be able to be in the camp together since camp is broken up into 2-5 yrs old and 6-8 yrs old. They are like twins and do everything together and are both very shy and don't make friends very easily, so fingers crossed for Feb! :)

Hello!

We still find that how closely they adhere to this rule varies from sailing to sailing. Number of children, how close the child is to the cut off, etc. all are factors. We have had experiences ranging from being told FLAT OUT "no, it is not permitted" (when the age was only off by SIX WEEKS) to "Sure, we can try it and see how it goes".

Also, it seems they are more likely to let the older go down an age group than the younger go up.

Be EXTRA nice when you ask, that will definitely help! Good luck! :)

just go the first night to the camp and sign them up for the group you want. we have never had a problem you know your child better than anyone and they are only 6 months away from the right age. I have never had any one ask me how old my kids were when we brought them to there group. I am sure it will be fine, I guess we never ask so maybe that is why we have never been told no.

Archived