Ironing your hair on board

shamrox91

My daughter was sadly informed yesterday that she will not be able to bring along an iron on our cruise. She irons her hair on a routine basis. Does anyone else do this? Mine is super straight and I don't have this problem so I have no answers for her. I told her to maybe bring a straightening iron. Any other suggestions for her?

Since there are no ironing boards, she'd have to iron her hair on the floor! Ick!

You can bring almost any other electric heating device--straightening irons, curling irons, electric curlers, heating pads, etc.... Bring an extension cord, if the cord on the device isn't very long.

Some lines (Crystal for one) don't allow heating pads at all.

Hair ironing sounds dangerous to me even at home.

No more than a curling iron is. It all depends on the skill of the operator.

It is clothing irons that are not allowed, hair straightening irons are allowed. My teenage daughter uses one, we do take along a hot pad for her to set it on during use. She makes sure and we double check that it is unplugged after every use.

Hair straightening irons are fine.

I can't imagine ironing my hair on an ironing board. How does she get close to the roots?

Payd:)

I don't even watch. Sounds painful to me. My hair is just the opposite, so I've never had to worry about it. My problem is getting it to do something other than staying straight.

Hair ironing was all the rage back in the mid-60s when I was in high school. Still remember the day my girlfriend asked me to iron her hair. Yes, we used a regular iron and an ironing board.

She had sandy blonde hair which was quite full and beautiful. By the time I finished my ironing chore, her hair looked a bit like it had been professionaly streaked and was a bit frizzy on the ends.:eek:

Needless to say I wasn't asked to do that chore again.:D

Dianne

Does using a regular iron get hair straighter than a flat iron made for hair??? :confused:

I'm just trying to figure out why someone would choose to iron their hair with a regular iron in this day and age, with all the safer and likely better-for-your-hair options out there. :)

In the 60s I ironed my hair with a clothing iron on an ironing board. I tried to get close to my roots, but ....:eek: I got a burn on my scalp! Also, since my hair is very naturally curly and I lived in Florida at the time, it took all of 2 seconds in the humid, hot air for it to curl up again. Needless to say, I only ironed my hair that way once!!! :D

Before getting my straightening iron I used to spread my hair out on the ironing board and get to it with the regular clothes iron.

I have naturally straight hair but it gets frizzy and flyaway very easily, especially on cruises! Ironing it makes it nice and flat :D So as long as I get most of it ironed it doesn't matter much about the roots.

I ironed mine a few times in the passenger laundy on cruises - much to some other's surprise - and it worked fine :D

I just take along my straightening iron now that I have one.

As long as there's a compatible power point in your cabin you shouldn't have any issues using one :D

My advice is for straightening hair is to invest in a good flatiron. I have the T3 from Bespoke Labs and it is fabulous. It doesn't fry your hair and the results last all day (even in the heat and humidity of Belize on our last cruise:) ). It's a little pricey (I paid 200.00 on HSN) but I think its worh every penny. I probably spent at least that much on multiple cheap flatirons over the years that either didn't work or died prematurely!:)

Archived