Solo in Alaska...any suggestions

metawnny

Hello All,

My relatives are booking for Alaska in July 2008, and I really want to tag along, but haven't found a roommate yet. So my question is, if I end up being a solo cruiser what should I expect? Do the cruise lines offer discounts on any rooms for solo cruisers. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks,

It depends on the cruise line, and it depends on the destination and time of year. You're less likely to have to pay double on Carnival or HAL.

Read thru the threads on this page and you'll get a feel for how different lines handle singles/solos.

Roz

P.S. You'll love Alaska. I've sailed there twice - once with friends and once solo.

First of all you will pay more going with your own room but it will be WONDERFUL to have it. All the closet space, drawer space, bathroom, the whole cabin to yourself is such luxury that you will quickly be spoiled!

I've been on a cruise with someone and now alone and I must say that while I prefer to have someone I know on the ship having my own room is the only way I want to travel now.

So if I had to pick, going with someone and sharing a cabin or going solo and having my own cabin I would pick going solo. I found you meet so many people on the ship that even if you are alone you are really never alone.

But having someone you know go and they have their cabin and you have yours is the best of both worlds.

My vote is to go on HAL as they take very good care of solo travelers. Plus they don't charge you double the price of the ticket to go alone.

I went to Alaska in May on the Carnival Spirit..I had a balcony cabin for less than 1500 solo...

That was my very first solo trip..and I'm going on my next in two weeks.. =-)

I loved Alaska.. Have a great trip!!

• 2 weeks later...

You made a great choice. Alaska is an excellent choice for a solo cruise. And HAL has a huge segment of that market. All my cruises have been with HAL and I've sailed solo for all of them. Unless you want a suite, you should get a fairly good price booking early. I'd also suggest one of the smaller ships (non-vista class). They are a lot smaller, cozy and intimate.

Archived