Help requested for Nassau, Bahamas first time cruiser

prwjr

Hello all and I appreciate any advice that you may be able to provide me with.

I am looking for advice...suggestions on what shore excursions would be good to take...or any sights that would be 'must see' sights on a self made walking tour of Nassau in the course of a single day.

Thank you in advance,

Paul from New Jersey

Just was in Bahamas last Thursday.......Took the advice of Cruise Critic members and went to a resort called Wynham....It was beautiful........$15/person for day pass..You can use their beaches, hot tub..and also Sheraton's pools..(since their's is being renovated)...It was a great day for us and we really enjoyed....On the ship if you are up on the deck pulling into Nassau..and you look to the right.....You can see the hotels with the crystal clear water....That's where they are at....Just take the #10 bus ($1 per person.....tell driver you are going to Wydham) He'll drop you right in front of it...Take #10 back.....We took #10A Back since it was right there when we came out and it was storming......WE WON'T DO THAT AGAIN.....It took us thru some really bad parts of the Bahamas....It was a little scary..but we were happy to see the ship again.......Have a great cruise...

I will also be going to Nassau for the first time, and we plan on doing a self-guided walking/ sightseeing tour. Basically see the things that the one from Carnival offers, but during more time.

And we would like to do a ride in a hors-drawn (sp?) carriage.

I googled (or yahood) nassau, and came up with some sites that had a nice overview of things to see.

Pirate museum, Queen's staircase (I think), some older colonial buildings, forts, ...

So many choices!

Be careful of the horse-drawn carriage ride-my DH got ripped off. My DH knew something was amiss when the horse did not know where he was going and my DH knows horses. The driver kept hitting the horse with a whip and would not let him stop to drink. My DH was livid. My DD and I did the Dolphin Encounter and had a blast.

I've been to Nassau many, many times and it really is not my favorite port of call. One good thing is that it's only a short walk from the ship to the main street. :p When we were there on our last cruise, we took a taxi to Paradise Island and spent some time walking in and around the Atlantis Hotel. Other than that, we usually just walk to the main street and go down one side and back on the other side. Maybe spend about an hour in town and possibly stop in to a store or two. ;) The straw market is a veritable zoo and the vendors pester you constantly. But I guess it's a good stop for the first day or perhaps the final day of a cruise since it's so close to the ports in Florida. :rolleyes:

Again, every post on this thread holds water. It's what it is and what you make of it. We've been to Nassau twice, and most assuredly will go back. The first trip, the DW and I simply walked off the dock and into "downtown" and had a blast absorbing the local culture. We're quite simple folk, so that suited us fine.

Now, the second time around, we had our two adult kids and their other halves with us, so we did things a little different. As soon as we got off the boat, before going through the gate, several drivers (limo, taxi, or whatever) were "hustling" for our dollars to take a "tour" of the area. Not typical for me, but I fell for one guys pitch. He called himself "Dan the Man". It turned into a fabulous day. Dan took us on a guided tour of Paradise Island, Atlantis, the Queen's Staircase, and I can't remember what else. I think we antied up like $15 each. It was the best "value" that we could've hoped for.

In other words, get off the boat and hollar for "Dan the Man". You'll be glad you did.

Ihaddon...Wydham resort is a great place for kids.....They can swim in one of the many pools...(Which aren't that deep at all)..Play in the waterfall of the one pool...And best of all the beach and pools were not crowded at all.....To get the passes..You just walk into the Wyndham and go to the main desk...They will give you a wrist band for the day.....$15/person...And as of last week you just walk to the Sheraton and use their beach & pools too since Wynham's pool is being renovated...They are also hot tubs and palm trees with hammocks.....

Although downtown Nassau is not a bad place to walk around (it's really changed for the better), the real treasures are "out of town" (but close by).....

Paradise Island

Cable Beach

Blackbeard Cay

Blue Lagoon (unless it's still closed)

Can ya tell I'm a beach person???

And yes, visit the Bahamas Boards.

Hello all and I appreciate any advice that you may be able to provide me with.

I am looking for advice...suggestions on what shore excursions would be good to take...or any sights that would be 'must see' sights on a self made walking tour of Nassau in the course of a single day.

Thank you in advance,

Paul from New Jersey

just go to the atlantis...its beautiful!!

cheri from nj ...

I was worried I wasn't getting any responses. Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations.

I did think it would be best to ask people who have been to Nassau...and who would know better than you???

I am cruising with my 18 & 15 yrs old daughters and want to make this a special time for them.

I appreciate all of everyone's input.

Thank you all,

Paul from New Jersey

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if Carnival still has a shore excursion that goes to Salt Cay (aka Blue Lagoon Island)? I went there once when we were on the S.S. Majestic and it was really pretty.

I had heard that they did not offer this excursion anymore. We went there 3 yrs ago and had a great time. In fact I still have and use my "koozie" can holder I bought while we were there.

Nassau is one of our favorite places and we go on land vacations there a couple of times a year. Unlike Jamaica, I have never felt unsafe in Nassau or Freeport.

We get comped rooms at the Wyndham so we always stay there and one good thing about the Wyndham is the security does a pretty good job of keeping the beach vendors from hassling you.

I also vote for Atlantis. Take the taxi and if you want, that can be your only expense. It is rated as one of the best hotel/resorts in the world. You can walk the interior at no cost. About 1/3 or the fish exhibits are available to be viewed for free. That can take an hour or more. Don't picture tiny tanks but walls of glass 15 to 20 feet high. You will be in awe. There is marble every where from all over the world. Murals are on the walls and ceiling. The columns are also very impressive with fantastic carvings. There are water falls, pools and fountains. In the ceiling are fantastic glass carvings with vivid colors that are lighted. When I first heard about it, I pictured a fancy hotel but it is much more than that. Check on the web and you can more details.

I had heard that they did not offer this excursion anymore. We went there 3 yrs ago and had a great time. In fact I still have and use my "koozie" can holder I bought while we were there.

Nassau is one of our favorite places and we go on land vacations there a couple of times a year. Unlike Jamaica, I have never felt unsafe in Nassau or Freeport.

We get comped rooms at the Wyndham so we always stay there and one good thing about the Wyndham is the security does a pretty good job of keeping the beach vendors from hassling you.

Ok, thanks.

Do you know if any of the local companies still offer trips to that island?

My family and I just came back from a stop in Nassau, and it was the highlight of our trip. I had been there before and didn't enjoy it at all after walking the streets and being hounded to buy trinkets, but this time, thanks to the advice of CC, we got a taxi ($4pp) to the Comfort Suites just outside of Atlantis Coral Towers, and booked room for the day there. It cost us 189.00 for 3 adults and it gave us complete use of Atlantis. They give you passes to take back to Atlantis and then you get the same armbands as those staying at Atlantis. It is a most beautiful place with several places to lay out including beaches and different pool areas with towels and chairs provided, an amazing fish aquarium and shark tank, and several incredible water slides, which is what we spent most of our time doing. We couldn't take enough pictures, as the entire resort it is so beautifully landscaped. We were there for 6 or 7 hours and still did not get to see everything there.

(If you plan on doing this, book the hotel before you go. When we went straight to the hotel, they said there was a 2 night minimum, so I had to use a payphone and call the 800 number to book it for only one night.)

0190.jpg.a9ea51eba0d9a6442d82da711d4da2b6.jpg

Archived