Dress Code - What Dress Code ?

Andym

Hi Richard,

Fancy meeting you here where I am ranting. I've stopped in on your thread a few times and looks like you've got a good group. One of the advantages to our switching was going sooner. We leave tomorrow.

Hope you have as good a trip as we expect to have.

As to your comment about the dress issue being "the attitude", I think I've heard that somewhere before.

Bob

The enforcement of the code is the real issue. If that were done there would be not attitude issue or if there was it could be dealt with. You have made very good points. If there were good reasons for not being in dress it is one thing. We have sat a tables where the passengers luggage was lost on the way. There was certainly no animosity in that case. There are numerous other reasons that are valid as well. Just because "I don't want to and it's none of your business", is not one of them.

How many times, in how many ways must it be said "It's not the clothes, it's the attitude "?
Seems to me that no one walks into the dining room inappropriately dressed loudly proclaiming to everyone, "Bleep you all--I'll dress how I want," unprovoked. I can't imagine any circumstance where someone would give you an attitude about the way they were dressed for no reason. Unless you ask someone, you do not know why they are dressed that way. And if you do ask, perhaps it's you that has the attitude in how you ask that provokes a defensive response. Or perhaps it's your derisive stare that provokes their response. Apparently everyone who dresses inappropriately should act as though they are embarassed to be seen like that in public, even those who have legitimate reasons. That way we will know they don't have an attitude!

Given the choice of sharing dinner with well-dressed folks who look with scorn upon those who are underdressed or the inappropriately-dressed folks who do not judge others, I'll take the 'slobs' any day!

A cruise ship is not a country club, and you don't join a country club for the same reasons you go on a cruise.

NOW, how about those Oscar/Emmy award shows ?? So many "stars" show up with "bed head" & "just mussed" hair, ripped blue jeans & general bad taste (to my eye) BUT, they are not turned away. They are making a personal statement (I guess), even if that statement is "I don't have the good sense to be embarrassed"

It seems that many X pax get very upset over some of these issues. Someone early in the thread suggested if someone came to dinner nude they would probably not be allowed in. Well I suggest, from my perspective, what they look like in that condition, ahem.

A dress code, sorry I choose not to wear a dress for anyone.

Bob you are neat, do you do a good job on the other issues that X refuses to enforce like, pool hogs, babies with diapers in the pool, and the most dangerous issue at sea, the fire bug or smoker who smokes where they want, flick the fire starters where they want and no one seems to complain that a fire will kill. Wearing a tux or not has not to my knowledge, except from a domestic flare up, caused the death of anyone.

Lets hear it for great service, low low prices and all those who live in their Royal Suites to come down to dinner so the rest of us don't have to sit at the table alone. Ever think of that?

A cruise ship is not a country club, and you don't join a country club for the same reasons you go on a cruise.

NOW, how about those Oscar/Emmy award shows ?? So many "stars" show up with "bed head" & "just mussed" hair, ripped blue jeans & general bad taste (to my eye) BUT, they are not turned away. They are making a personal statement (I guess), even if that statement is "I don't have the good sense to be embarrassed"

Mag, You've got to love it. So many stars making a personal statement. When it comes to the rappers, they are all making a personal statement to the point where I couldn't tell them apart even if I were offered a reward to do so. :D

Sorry folks. Off topic.

Does anyone know of a "nudist" cruise. Then we would not have to carry any luggage (well maybe some sunscreen, sun glasses and a hat or two).

No luggage - no waiting in lines at disembarkation or embarkation. No lost luggage (we probably would need something on a plane).

More room in the closets for towels and blankets.

No diapers in the pool - well maybe we should have diapers in the pool.

Of course there will always be someone who wants to wear something on formal nights.

The problem is - They tell you to dress formally after 6:00 - a dress code that applies ship wide - and then they tell you about the casual venues.

HOW IS ONE TO GET FROM HIS STATEROOM TO THE CASUAL EATING VENUES WHILE DRESSED CASUALLY WITHOUT OFFENDING THE DELICATE SENSIBILITIES OF THOSE WHO JUDGE?

Is there a freight elevator? A back stairway? Huh?

That's why we can't judge people in the common areas who are dressed casually. You cannot assume they are thumbing their noses at people who wish to dress up. They are merely exercising their right to eat in a casual venue and maybe spend their evening up on deck watching stars.

And, I'm going to have to go along with those who state they've never seen a problem in the dining room on formal night.

After spending some time on this board prior to my Celebrity cruise, I learned I needed to be aware of the dreaded "under dresser" and so I really, really tried to note what others were wearing each night.

Wow - did I get bored fast. I found I could only count tuxedos for a short while before my mind drifted onto what I was doing to enjoy my evening.

Anyway - I never noticed flagrant disregard in the dining room - but maybe those who say it's the time of year or itinerary that brings out the "under dresser" are right. Maybe those people stay away from the Caribbean in January.

It's just that - in 7 cruises in the Caribbean in January - on 4 different lines - I never noticed a decline in the ambience in the dining rooms.

However, that could be because I was too busy having a good time and minding my own business. :rolleyes:

Nothing new is being said in any of these dress threads. Somehow, we know this, yet we get suckered into this.

Celebrity, enforce your rules, get rid of casual dining on formal and informal nights. Figure out who you want as passengers. The problem is, Celebrity describes a product yet doesn't execute it fully because they probably aren't in a position to say, "sorry, if you don't abide by the feel we want in our product then shop elsewhere".

This makes me feel Celebrity is too big right now. Too many berths. They are trying to cater to too broad a passenger base. If they had limited berths they could say " not on our ships with that attitude". Then the chair hoggers, smokers who smoke in nonsmoking areas, people not respectful of the dress code, and other people who think they are above the rules, like Nina, could go somewhere else and leave whatever they want to call us who are respectful of rules to our product of conformists.

The enforcement of the code is the real issue. If that were done there would be not attitude issue or if there was it could be dealt with. You have made very good points. If there were good reasons for not being in dress it is one thing. We have sat a tables where the passengers luggage was lost on the way. There was certainly no animosity in that case. There are numerous other reasons that are valid as well. Just because "I don't want to and it's none of your business", is not one of them.

Animosity? Really? You feel "animosity" toward someone because of the clothes they wear? Animosity means "hostility" or "hatred." I can't imagine what kind of person feels "animosity" toward another because of their attire.

And did you really ask someone why they were dressed as they were to determine whether you felt "animosity" toward them or not? Anyone who would have the nerve to do such a thing is nothing but a rude busybody. Don't you understand it's simply none of your business?

Likewise for those who claim to have asked the maitre d' why others were allowed into the dining room in whatever they were wearing. It's none of your business. Period. What's more important than enforcing absurd dress codes would be to tell busybodies making such asinine inquiries to shut up, sit down, eat their meals, and leave the ship's business to the ship's crew.

I have already said that I enjoyed dressing smartly for dinner but we also broke the dress code by walking around in shorts etc after 6.00pm. As we didn't dine till 9.00pm we enjoyed the pool area till 7.00pm most days- especially on sea days when we could only get a chair around 4.30pm!

I really enjoyed seeing the early diners walking around in their 'best' clothes- especially families who had made such an effort.

This subject- which seems to be discussed ad nauseum on various boards is so subjective that there will never be a solution.

Even if you achieve a concensus, there will be other standards lacking for some folk- I have seen criticism for 'polyester' suits as opposed to 'wool' etc.

I thought my husband looked great in his tux- never worn one before- and although I was as concerned as others are before our first cruise - I will encourage him to pack it for our second next year. It doesn't matter what others think, I'll feel good dressed smartly and be glad to be with him!

Nothing new is being said in any of these dress threads. Somehow, we know this, yet we get suckered into this.

The reason I keep coming back to these threads is because they are fun.

It's fun to see how bent out of shape people get by what others are wearing.

People don't seem to understand that a person going tieless on formal night is not the same as someone drunk and falling down or someone being loud and obnoxious or... (you fill in the blanks).

And I believe one could be just as put off by a woman wearing a multi-colored spangle and sequined hooker-like formal dress - as by a woman wearing a pair of dress slacks and a nice top. Depends upon personal taste.

That's the real reason the staff on the ship decide not to enforce the dress code. What one considers properly dressed - what is dressy and classy -what is formal - has infinite variables.

That says it all. "I don't have the good sense to be embarressed".

Archived