Virus On Rhine

Video Cruiser

Some friends of ours have just returned from a Bazel to Amsteram cruise on the MS Deutschland (Gate 1 Travel). Not until they boarded this vessel were they informed that there had been a problem with a virus on "all" Rhine River cruises, operated by all cruise lines, the last few months.

Dozens of passengers became ill and had to be quarantined in their cabins for 48 hours. Our friends say if their group (26 folks) had any knowledge of a virus problem they would have, obviously, cancelled their trip. Although they say the crew handled this the best that could be expected, management failed grossly by not informing passengers in advance that there might be a problem.

Viruses aboard cruise ships certainly seem to be treated much differently aboard ships sailing from U.S. ports! U S. health authorities get involved, refunds or future cruises are often provided.

We were on the Amadagio (Amsterdam to Budapest) July 2007. Almost everyone on the cruise came down with some sort of flu virus throught the course of the cruise. We just figured that someone probably came on board with it and then it spread throughout the passengers. At almost every port a taxi would come and the sick would pile in to go to the doctor. Two people got off in Cologne and were admitted into the hosptial with it. It was a wonderful cruise but there were a few poblems. On our first night in Amsterdam, a man died of a heart attack, a few days later a woman had a heart attack while going into the dining room for dinner, she was taken to the hospital and had triple bypass surgery. Another man fell in one of the ports and broke his thumb and three ribs. another man slammed his finger in a door. We brought airborne with us and just kept taking it, hoping that we wouldnt catch whatever was going around, it either worked or we were just lucky. I did hear someone say that the virus was going around in Europe, I don't know if it was only on the river cruises.

Maybe it's just the dreaded noro virus that hits all the big ships from time to time. That can race thru a river boat or a large cruise ship in no time and have everyone sick. I wouldn't let it stop my trip, if I was so lucky to be going. I'd just keep washing my hands and bring plenty of anit bacterial gel with me. I also like to bring bleach based wipes along and clean the entire room when we first board. Anything to keep from getting sick!

I haven´t heard anything in the news about viruses lately here in Germany. Usually they are not only spreading on cruise ships but also in nusery homes, kindergartens or schools.

It sounds like a noro virus. But it´s not noro virus season right now. And yes, we do not have to report a virus outbreak on a cruise ship to health authorities (anyway a doctor has to report a noro virus outbreak to health authorities). And as we all know from the big ships, the noro virus is very hard to get under control. It´s mainly brought aboard by sick passengers.

And another yes regarding the fact that we do handle a virus outbreak a bit more leisurely that you are doing in the US. Sure the cruise lines are highly interested to get rid of it.

steamboats

An agent that works with me, got back in Sept., from a Uniworld Budapest to Amsterdam cruise.

Within the first couple of days, there was 10 people sick with the Norwalk virus.

The captain requested that they have a voluntary quarantine which all, except 2 people, agreed to. These happened to be the 2 people that had brought it on with them. They had just gotten off a large ship and had picked it up on that.

They absolutely refused to stay in their room and therefore more people came down with it. The captain tried to have them removed from the ship, but because there is no medical officer onboard, that was not possible.

It seems to me that the inconsideration of 2, ruined it for the rest.

By day 3 or 4 all was well and they ended up having a wonderful time.

For the comment that "all river cruises" were affected by this, I was on one in May and there was no sickness on ours, nor was there any talk of the virus on any other ships sailing at that time.

I think that we would have heard something as we talked to lots of other passengers from lots of other lines.

I'm sure that someone must have came on board with the virus, and once someone has it, it can spread very fast among the passengers. Many of the passengers on our cruise had just come off other cruises and tours throughout Europe. I wouldnt let it keep me from booking another cruise. We too wiped everything down with disinfectant wipes and washed our hands a lot, I carried wipes in my purse for use off the ship and we both took airborne. I could'nt find airborne in Europe, so if you plan on taking it make sure to bring enough with you.

Wow, I thought my wife & I were just unlucky but all the above info explains what was happening. We began our cruise on 8/22 from Amsterdam and about half way through people started coming down sick. It appeared to be an upper respiratory virus that gradually spread to my wife and then to me. Our Doctor referred myself and my wife to the ER where I was diagnosed with pneumonia and wife had bronchitis. We should have gone to the doctor sooner and we actually discussed this option with our Program Director but opted out when the PD informed us that we could be at the local hospital for about 5 hours.

Posters suggest already sick passengers spread the virus after they arrived but I wish to suggest another explanation. I noticed on our boat that the ships crew was short handed - kitchen, wait staff and housekeeping - it appears that this shortage might have been sick crew members. All you need is one sick cook and the virus spreads quickly.

But to now hear that a virus had been spreading on many cruises for a few months is absolutely astounding. Are not there any safeguards in place to protect the passengers? Why not quarantine the boat until it is thoroughly cleaned? Why not notify the future passengers? There needs to be some regulation for this kind of event or the River cruise industry might suffer catastrophic losses from people canceling or just not booking them. This cruise industry needs to police itself and correct this ASAP! Many elderly people take these cruises and to intentionally expose them to a known virus that has been circulating for months is problematic for the industry and the passengers.

I am very upset that nothing was done proactively to protect the future passengers who boarded on an already infected boat. Am I alone in thinking the River Cruise industry needs to do more to protect us passengers?

It appeared to be an upper respiratory virus that gradually spread to my wife and then to me. Our Doctor referred myself and my wife to the ER where I was diagnosed with pneumonia and wife had bronchitis. We should have gone to the doctor sooner and we actually discussed this option with our Program Director but opted out when the PD informed us that we could be at the local hospital for about 5 hours.

I totally understand your anger and frustration and am so sorry that your trip had a poor ending with both you and your wife so sick. I hope by now that you are on the mend and in better health.

One thing to think about though, didn't you and your wife just make the situation worse by not going to the doctor because if might take 5 hours out of your vacation? What about all the people that got on after you and had your cabin? Because you didn't get the medical attention that you obviously needed at the time, now your cabin was also infected for the next group.

I agree 100% that the cruise lines need to do more in sterlizing the rooms better after every group to help the situation. But I also think people need to realize they are sick and get the medical attention they need when they need it and not wait until they get home. Its kind of the same situation in the work environment. People come to work sick and spread it to everyone else just because they think they can't stay home for a day or two, or at least until they are past the infectious time.

There is no easy answer to this. The large cruise ships quaratine passengers in their cabins for a few days when they come down with the noro virus. Those same passengers then want to complain that their vacation was ruined and the ship had no right to make them stay in their cabins.

I'm sorry you got sick and I don't mean to sound like I am attacking you or anything. There are no easy answers but I just wish people would consider others too.

"But I also think people need to realize they are sick and get the medical attention they need when they need it and not wait until they get home."

AZPam - I guess you missed the part about the virus spreading for monthson most/many of these cruises and to many of our fellow passengers. I also think you need to know that a viral infection can not be treated with antibiotics. For your information this was all discussed with the PD and after evaluating all the options(including that I was one of the last to get sick) and the seriousness of the illness - we all decided to defer until latter. Although I was eventually diagnosed with pneumonia - I did not feel that bad at the time but on the flight home was a different story.

Thank you for being so concerned about me spreading a virus that was already present when I boarded. I think you should be more concerned about the industries disregard for the health of it's many elderly passengers. How do you justify continually using an infected boat? I have an answer - quarantine the boat!

CaptB,

I think maybe you misunderstood me or I didn't express myself very well. I don't want to get into a pissing match with you, so will leave it alone. I just wish you and your wife a speedy recovery.

Emmylou,

I am sure somebody else can answer your question about doctors much better than I with my limited experience on the river ships. All I can say was that on our GCT trip there was not a doctor on board but I do know they took several people for various reasons to doctors on our trip and they were all happy with their treatments.

EmmyLou,

It depends on the cruise line. Deilmann has a doctor. I think Lueftner usually has a doctor too. But most of the US river cruise lines don´t have one. I think there´s one out there who has one on each boat.

I totally agree that more can be done to prevent a virus from spreading. But there´s still the problem that a river cruise ship (like an ocean cruise ship, a school, a nursing home) is an area where many people are more or less cramped together and therefore a virus can spread very quickly. The other thing is: The average age of passengers is 55+ (or even higher). People of this age - like children - catch a virus much easier than younger ones. The immune system goes down at this age and therefore a virus can spread easier.

Quarantine: Sure, this would be a good thing. But no cruise company will do this if not forced to do so. It´s a matter of business and loosing money.

steamboats

I'm always read threads about illnesses (guess I'm a worrier!), and this thread really is interesting for the different POV re illnesses, reporting , quarantines, etc. On our August GCT Great Rivers cruise (GCT), one passenger became sick (as reported by his wife- who loudly told everyone else that she was by herself that evening and the next day because hubby was sick- I don't know the details, but I seem to remember that he had a sore throat?- which is NOT the infamous noro-virus). He did confine himself to his room- not necessarily because he was quarantined- but mostly because he didn't feel well enough! Anyway, 1 or 2 days later, I heard that another man was sick- and he was blaming his buddy (the previously mentioned man) for giving him a cold- and so it passed around their small "group." No one else on the ship became sick, and I'm sure that fewer than 4 people (all his close friends) complained of catching this "cold" (or whatever).

GCT did not have a doctor on board (and I doubt that few River Cruise ships do so). I do know that one day, one of the PD's took someone to the Apothecary (Pharmacy) for some medicine (I didn't ask their problem). The PD's are the ones who hear the passengers' complaints (as in "I don't feel well") but they're not medical people (duh!). It's up to us- the passengers- to keep away from others when we're sick. Also, try not to spread your germs (here are a few hints: wash your hands after blowing your nose or using the toilet- even if you think you're not dirty- & don't sneeze and cough on us- that is, without covering your mouth/nose; don't touch every roll in the tray before deciding which one you want; in other words- use your common sense!)

Yes, it happens: we get sick. And if we're elderly/young/immune suppressed/etc, we can really get sick. But this happens back home as well as on vacation- it just makes better press when it happens on a cruise ship- 12 sick retirees at an "age-restricted" community in the boondocks of some state doesn't get as much media attention as a "dozen sick passengers on an expensive cruise!!!!!!"

So what do I do? (other than worry?) I agree with those who use the wipes (and they're OK with TSA for putting in your carry-on luggage). I also wash my hands after using the toilet (don't freak out- some cultures do not think it's necessary to do so), and I also open the bathroom door using a paper towel (since so many women do not wash their hands). At meal time, after we've given our order (and given the menu to the waiter)- only then do we use the disposable towlettes (Purell, Germex, etc) before touching our water glasses, bread, etc. Neurotic? Yes, maybe we are. But better to be safe than sorry.

We returned on 9-27 from a Vantage river cruise from the Black Sea to Budapest and there was a doctor on board for the entire cruise and he was well used. We had many people on the cruise that came down with an upper respiratory ailment. We took a galley tour early in the cruise and we noted that the head chef was sneezing and coughing during our tour. We figured that he gave everyone what ever he had. We also had quite a few that came down with the dreaded commode disease. There were only a couple of passengers that were sick enough to be confined to their cabins. Most felt well enough to circulate and spread the illness to those that didn't have it.

Hi Robthens. Any chance on getting a trip report from you on the Black Sea/Budapest itinerary within the next week? We leave on the reverse itinerary with Amadeus next Thursday and a quick take on the various ports and shore excursions would be helpful even though we will be on a different line.

Clarence:)

I have waited awhile to see if any others reported viruses on their Rhine River trips. I can confirm the problem on the Deutschland. I was on the Sept 22 sailing traveling withe my wife and two friends. Virtually all of the Americans (about 80) and an unknown number of the Germans ( 90 ?) got sick. The illness was a 'Noro" virus. We were told that it is widespread on the Rhine. I don't think that this is true. We found out that the ship had evidently been taken out of service at one point to clear the problem . It was surely there on Sept 15 and 22. In fact, a doctor was on board for our sailing. He was brought on not knowing of the problem and was ill prepared (no pun intended). The ship never should have sailed. I bet there are illnesses as I am typing this post. More later on the results of our complaint to Gate1.

Archived