Road to Hana ?

Eagle1

I would personally do it the first day you are in port, because you don't have to worry about time constraints. We did not get back until 6pm and I think we probably did the Road faster than most. So, just to make sure you're not rushing, I would definitely do it the first day.

We're doing the Road to Hana on the first day as well. As said previously, it will give us as much time as we need. It will be a hectic day, so the second day we will be doing the snorkeling & beach thing, to relax a bit. We want to make sure we're rested for the next port!

We will be leaving on the POA on 10/10 and we will be in Maui on Fri. an Sat. which day would be the least congested of the two to do the Road to Hana.

Mahalo !

Just a "heads up" when making this decision make sure that NCLA isn't thinking about changing your schedule like that did us. We are sailing this Sat. on the POA for 11 day and just now notified us that there would be too much congestiion at some ports since two ships would be in at the same time, so they have made a couple of changes,one is that we leave Maui on our second day at 6 pm rather than the originally scheduled 9:30 pm which would make going to Hana impossible on the second day.

If NCLA does not change our departure time from 9:30 PM we are planning on the second day. Will get a crack of dawn start to get ahead of the buses. For the 11 day POA the day after Kahului is a sea day; so plenty of time to rest.

Be prepare to miss the sunrise due to clouds. We did the drive up to Haleakala @ 3:30am and the clouds blocked the sunrise. :mad:

We are not going up for sunrise, I'm on vacation and I get up 4:30 am everyday for wrok I'm not doing it on vacation :D We will go up something in the morning around 9-10 am we're thinking.

Hey, great time for a question, if you're not planning on sunrise what is the best time to go?

I agree with everyone, you really Must do it the first day especially if the ship leaves in the afternoon on the 2nd day. The trip will take you all day if you do it even close to being right. When I say that I mean by stopping and seeing things off the beaten path. Make sure you eat some of that Bananna Bread for sale along the way.

We are not going up for sunrise, I'm on vacation and I get up 4:30 am everyday for wrok I'm not doing it on vacation :D We will go up something in the morning around 9-10 am we're thinking.

Hey, great time for a question, if you're not planning on sunrise what is the best time to go?

It depends on your preference really. We really wanted to see the sunrise so we did the drive up at 3:30am. I suppose you can go up in the late afternoon for the sunset. :D

Dress warmly if you're going up in the morning. At 9am, it was only 8C on top of the summit, and it's windy.

IMHO, it takes 2 days to do Hana right. We did it in one day and felt very rushed. What I would do it plan to spend the night in Hana and drive the rest of the way on day 2.

BTW- many of the car rental contracts say that you can not drive the whlle way in their cars. Ignore that. The road is OK except for one short stretch that is a bit bad. We did it in a cheap rental special ford.

DON

If NCLA does not change our departure time from 9:30 PM we are planning on the second day. Will get a crack of dawn start to get ahead of the buses. For the 11 day POA the day after Kahului is a sea day; so plenty of time to rest.

that's our plan for Feb. also - hopefully they won't change our schedule, too:(

IMHO, it takes 2 days to do Hana right. We did it in one day and felt very rushed. What I would do it plan to spend the night in Hana and drive the rest of the way on day 2.

BTW- many of the car rental contracts say that you can not drive the whlle way in their cars. Ignore that. The road is OK except for one short stretch that is a bit bad. We did it in a cheap rental special ford.

DON

When did you do the south circle route? Has the section of the Pi'ilani Highway that was closed after the earthquake last year been repaired and reopened? I heard work had started on it, but haven't heard about it reopening. This would be great news for anyone who wants to do the circle route.

beachchick

When did you do the south circle route? Has the section of the Pi'ilani Highway that was closed after the earthquake last year been repaired and reopened? I heard work had started on it, but haven't heard about it reopening. This would be great news for anyone who wants to do the circle route.

beachchick

I did it about 3 years ago. I do not know thge current status. Sorry.

DON

beachchick

We just got back from Hawaii a couple weeks ago. On our Hana Hwy drive, we went as far as the Seven Pools. Just as we pulled into the parking lot, I vaguely remember seeing a sign saying that road closed ahead due to road work.

I did it about 3 years ago. I do not know thge current status. Sorry.

DON

We just got back from Hawaii a couple weeks ago. On our Hana Hwy drive, we went as far as the Seven Pools. Just as we pulled into the parking lot, I vaguely remember seeing a sign saying that road closed ahead due to road work.

Mahalo to you both. That jibes with the information I have. The closed section of road has been scheduled to be closed for at least a year, maybe longer. But then I read that they were starting work on it, so I wasn't sure. So at this point, the rental car and south Maui issues are moot.

beachchick

Archived