Opinions on Pearl

jerseygirl3

The last (and only) time we sailed NCL was on the Norwegian Sky in 2000 and we weren't impressed at all. I'm all for giving everything a second chance, but it just hasn't been in the cards for us to sail NCL since that time. However, I have a friend who has cruised a few times (mostly RCL, but once on Princess). They love RCL and are looking for a cruise for next late winter/early spring. The prices for the 9 day Pearl look amazingly low comnpared to other cruiselines and the itineraries look very inviting. She asked my opinion, and I honestly didn't know what to tell her. I did tell her I wasn't all that impressed with our cruise on the Sky, but also told her that wouldn't stop me from giving NCL another try. They are mid 50's, like evening entertainment/dancing. They didn't care for the Caribbean Princess, thought it was a bit too stodgy. I'm thinking the Pearl may be a great choice, but wanted others opinions But I wondered about others opinions who, perhaps, have actually sailed the Pearl. First of all, why are the prices so low for a 9 day cruise? Secondly, can anybody given an opinion on service, food quality, etc. The ship looks very nice. How would you say it conpares, style wise, to Royal Caribbean's ships (i.e., Radiance, Jewel, etc.)?

Thanks!

We took the 9 day Pearl cruise last April, and thought the ship was beautiful. Furniture on the balcony and pool area the most comfortable we have experienced. I thought all crew members were extremely helpful and courteous. I found just one drawback, which was big. The food was about equal to a Ruby Tuesday, and that included all dining venues. The only plus I saw to the pay restaurants was a nicer seating, but on the negative, the host and hostess were constantly walking through while talking on their cell phone. I would say the Cagney's steak house was the best pay venue, teppanyaki the worst. We were in a suite, and the lunches in Cagney's were the best food on board. The garden cafe food was quite good, but the meat choices were always the same.

All that said, I would sail the same itinerary on the Pearl, but save my money and skip the pay restaurants except one night in Cagney's.

I've been on the Pearl (to Alaska) and loved it. I'm a fan of NCL though and haven't tried any other cruise lines yet. What didn't you like about the Sky? If you don't care for freestyle in general, it may not be the best choice for you.

I thought the food was great, the service was fine (a little slow at breakfast and lunch in the dining rooms, but fine at dinner, and our room stewards were wonderful), the entertainment was just OK (but it may be different in the Caribbean than it was in Alaska), and the ship itself is a lot of fun.

We didn't have any trouble with either waits at dinner time, or in getting reservations for the specialty restaurants. As far as pricing or a comparison with RCCL's ships, can't help you there.

Hi Jerseygirl, and welcome to CC! I'm surprised to see no one has responded to your questions yet. I just read it and will try to help.

Your best bet would be to go to CC's main page and scroll down to the reviews and click on the Pearl. There are tons of reviews covering everything you'd ever want to know about the new ship.

Personally, I will be on her in 3 weeks so can't give a review yet, but from everything I've read and heard, I simply can't wait:D !

I also love Freestyle dining and sailed to Europe on the NCL Dream 3 years ago (after sailing Celebrity twice) and was happy enough to sail with them again.

You mentioned they found Princess (I think) "stodgy", then they'll probably enjoy NCL and most definitely the Pearl very much. She is less than a year old and offers a gazillion activities in beautiful surroundings.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if the reviews answer some of your questions:) .

Oops, I see BikerAl and Utefan have responded:).

Happy Sails!!!

Romy:)

We were on the Sky several years ago on a cruise to Alaska. We enjoyed the cruise but found the room to be very small for three of us. We had to climb over my daughter's bed to get to the other bed. We are fans on NCL and are going on the Pearl to the Panama Canal this weekend.

We sail on different cruiselines each year and love the variety they offer in food and entertainment.

Our favorite cruiseship meal ever was a year ago at the Asian restaurant on NCL. Half the restaurants do not charge fees on NCL but the specialty restuarnats are only $15pp -- except $20pp for Cagney's Steak HOuse. NCL also has early bird 2 for 1 specials certain nights.

We are sailing Pearl in November and look forward to dining in a different restaurant each night. We love LeBistro's beef tenderloin with braised rib dinner and will try the chocolate fondue this time. Of course, we dine at the Asian restaurant again because we enjoyed the tempura with hot and sour soup and steak terriyaki. What we really enjoy on NCL is the choice of a different atmosphere and different type of food each night.

Many people don't realize that you can request the same dining time and same table in the same restaurant each night by requesting it on your first night. My DD's inlaws did that on our family cruise a couple years ago. We dined with relatives a couple nights and enjoyed having dinner alone a few nights. Sometimes I enjoy a small quiet intimate restaurant over a large noisey dining room.

I had one horrible cruise experience on Legend of the Seas a couple years ago but still continue to cruise on RCCL ships. We have one Carnival, one NCL, and two RCCL cruises booked in 2008. Can't wait to sail on 3 ships I've never seen before and return to Jewel of the Seas for the second time when she returns to Boston.

I second latecruiser's opinion.

First, the ship is wonderful. It has old school lines and class, not the glitz and glass of the new megaships. We found the staff very friendly, entertaining and helpful.

I'd say the food is better than Ruby Tuesday's, but if you're expecting Ruth's Chris, you'll be disappointed. The service in the main dining rooms for lunch and breakfast was a little slow at times, but it wasn't a problem. Cagney's and the Asian restaurant were good.

From the OP's description, it sounds like his friends are a perfect fit for NCL and the Pearl. And the itinerary is superb. I'm sorry they dropped Dominica for Samara, Dominican Republic though. Dominica is a truly gorgeous, unspoiled isle.

The only thing that would have made our 9-day better is if we had done it back-to-back with the 5-day.

We did the 5 day last year with our daughter and son-inlaw. The ship is beautiful. We had great service and the food was great. (i'm really not the right person to ask about food. I love a good burger) My only complaint was that 5 days is not enough time.

engineer

We have been on the Peral for both the 9 day Caribbean and the 7 day Alaska cruise a few weeks back. It is a great ship, clean throughout, the personnel are great. The downside for some is the dining experience. Freestyle. For those cruisers that enjoy the freestyle of dining, its great. I noticed that you cruised prior to free style cruising. There are a lot of cruisers who enjoy the early or late seating for dinners. This is a big change now. For us, we love the idea of eating when we want. Some enjoy eating with the same group of cruisers every night for a week. We happen to eat when we want to. We are extremely flexible. This said, if it wasn't for the long airplane trip from Seattle to Miami (I enjoy flying, I hate the cramped and small seats), we would be on there again this Feb.:)

Thank you all so much for your honest feedback. I think I will feel completely reassured recommending the Pearl to her. Actually, it sounds like a ship/itinerary I wouldn't mind doing myself, but we're all "cruise booked" for the next 18 months or so.

When we sailed the NCL Sky, there were several things we didn't particularly care for. The ship was a little stark (but that wasn't really a bit deal). However, the ship was brand new and our cabin was touted as a "suite" and it was actually smaller than a standard balcony cabin. The actual cabin space (minus the balcony) was only 152 sq. ft. That is small, especially when you've been told it's a suite.

Secondly, they didn't have Freestyle Dining at that time (which I have no problem with, in fact, I prefer it). We had a very surly waiter who was almost to the point of being downright nasty. When my husband requested a second lobster tail one night, he refused and said "we only allow one per passenger." That didn't sit well with my husband!LOL

Like I said, I don't discount an entire cruiseline for one bad experience (and I can't even classify it as bad, just not a great cruise). I would certainly give NCL another try. And from the sounds of it, the Pearl would be a good choice.

Again, I thank you all and will let my friend know.

I vote for the Pearl! I did an NCL cruise about 10 years ago and vowed never again until last year when I took a chance on the Pearl and I am so glad I did. Loved it so much we're going on her again in January.

She's a beautiful ship with so much to do, the bowling was a blast, I can't imagine anyone not having a good time.

Can't speak too much for the food because we did the Garden Cafe and the main dining room for most meals but I thought what I had was good.

I thought the service was wonderful.

We did the Pearl 9 night southern just this past March. It was a great cruise. We loved the ship. It is very unique with the Bliss lounge (lots of couchs and beds to relax on). The food was very comperable to RC food. Our favorite line is RC, but we have tried the others too. We have not had a bad cruise, just some are better than others.

What we liked most about the Pearl was her itinerary. She does a nice deep Caribbean sailing out of florida, and it saves the air to San Juan. I would much rather be on a ship than an airplane! Tell them to go and enjoy!

We were on the Pearl 8/12-8/19 - loved the ship itself - missed the grand atrium a little - had a few problems here and there but nothing cruise ending or earth shattering. The freestyle is not our style - we are late 30's and thought it's feestyle - it's not anytime style - restaurants seem hard to get reservations when you want them - if there is a restaurant you want to try - embark early - go straight to mambo's reservations desk and make your embarkation day and next day reservations for your two favs - you will get what you want when you want that way - after that it's kind of hard. Also - when you eat late you miss the shows whish is something we look forward to - so freestyle took some planning on our part!

As far as DW and I are concerned, the Pearl is wonderful. We had our first cruise on her and loved her so much that we are spending even more money (and time - 19 days) on her for our next booked cruise (see our counter).

Pete

Archived