Flying with alcohol

mom2NnB

If I wanted to carry on a few (3-4) small bottles (minis/nips) of kahlua to mix with my nitecap coffee in my cabin, can I pack it in my checked luggage before I fly in the night before the cruise?

They are I think less than 3 oz and even total weight is less than 1 bottle of alcohol.

Additionally, if I wrapped them in my pants or socks, would they show up on an xray? The ones I'm interested in are all plastic bottles.

Ordering bottles from Gift Department, will buy from bars, but would like the option of a flavored coffee before bed a nite or two and don't really need a 750 ml just for one drink.

Check with the specific airline, but most allow up to one liter of alcohol in checked baggage. To be safe, though, I would get it in plastic bottles, seal in ziploc bag, and cushion in the middle of the suitcase.

Done it before and no problems...... yet

Yes, you may pack them in your checked luggage before you fly.

I always recommend putting anything that can leak into ziploc bags. that way if one does leak, it's contained.

It is very important that the OP does not put any alcohol in his carry on/pants pockets as they will confiscate it and you will have nothing. Also, it is not a very good idea to hide anything from the airlines, you could get into a lot of trouble. I doubt they would throw you off the plane, but I do not think you would want to risk that.

From American Airlines website

Alcoholic Beverages (under 24 percent by volume) Most beer and wine products in retail packaging

Checked baggage - yes. Carry-on baggage, see TSA Regulations

Alcoholic Beverages (24-70 percent by volume) Alcoholic beverages in retail packaging

Checked baggage - yes, see notes. Limited to 5 liters per passenger

Carry-on baggage, see TSA Regulations.

Customs regulations by country may limit the amount of alcohol you may be transport. Please check ahead of time to ensure that you are in compliance with these limits.

Alcoholic Beverages (over 70 percent by volume) Alcoholic beverages over 140 proof - Not allowed

We just flew Delta to FLL a few weeks ago, sailed the Liberty. Packed little miniature bottles, bubble wrapped them and put them in ziplocks in the middle of the suitcase. Also carried two small boxes of wine (white) DH would not let me pack red:eek: Also bubble wrapped it and put in ziplock bags, no problem at all.

We also ordered from gift services (two bottles of wine) but DH likes to fix his own pre-dinner drink.

I take booze on the ship in my checked luggage and they have always made it to my cabin safe and sound. They have never hassled with or confiscated the alcohol I have taken on board.

Just so everyone knows, before you jump allover me for doing that, I still buy plenty from the ship. I take the bottles so we have a little something for the balcony before dinner.

As far as carrying it on an airplane it is also fine to have in your checked bags, just not in the carry on.

Last year I bought 8 bottles of wine while in Europe, but flew home from Miami, I put them in those neoprene bottle holders, wrapped those in bubble wrap, put those in packing cubes and then packed everything in overstuffed suit cases - 4 bottles per suite case and flew home to Detroit - nothing broke :D My family enjoyed some for Thanksgiving.

Lisa

never planned on carrying it on. Planning on packing 2 or 3 in my checked luggage. Will wrap them in bubble wrap then in my socks to extra padding (not hiding). (might as well make use what is packed already then pack extra stuff:D).

Archived