Minimum number of seats sold

mark&christa

Hi, we are flying from Boston to San Juan on 2/24/08, on US. Airways. They have only sold 21 seats. Is there a minimum number of seats the airline needs to sell to not cancel the flight? Any help would be appreciated.

Not to worry:

1) You are still 5 months out from your travel dates. The airline will sell a lot more seats by that time. There will probably be less than 21 empty seats on the flight.

2) The airplane that is flying from Boston also has to fly back to Boston or Philadelphia or Charlotte, and if they cancel your flight, they would strand everyone who is supposed to be on that flight as well. Airlines very rarely cancel flights due to empty planes.

3) Relax and enjoy your cruise!

They have only sold 21 seats.
Have you been told this by the airline, or are you getting this from the seat map?

Seat maps are one of the worst possible ways of trying to work out how many reservations have been taken for a flight. Many reservations don't have seats allocated to them. Seats are sometimes shown as allocated when they're just not available for allocation - many interfaces don't distinguish between these.

In addition to what billybob says, you have to remember that most airlines make most of its money from business travellers, not those who book months ahead. Most business travel is booked in the two weeks before the flight.

And reservations are made and cancelled all the time. Although it's not a figure that many airlines talk about very much (because it's not very interesting), one major trans-Atlantic airline did recently say that during the selling cycle (the 350 days before the flight) of a typical summer trans-Atlantic flight, they'll take 13 reservations for every physical seat on the aircraft. The aircraft still won't be quite full. So you can see how more than 12 out of 13 reservations made are cancelled.

DO NOT go by seat maps! I have been on flights that show all seats full and when I get on the plane, it is half empty. I have been on flights that show half empty on the seat map and it is completely full. Even when checking the maps when printing my boarding pass the day before. If your flight has 21 seats sold 5 months before you fly, it will probably be close to sold out (or even over-sold.)

As far as the seat maps go, this changes at the last minute due to flights landing before yours being delayed which messes up an airlines schedule.

They will most likely not cancel a flight to San Juan in Feb. Peak cruise season. The plane will be full. I wouldn't worry so far in advance. At most, you might be code shared to a United flight.

P.S. If you notice the rates go down, US Air has been known to offer you a voucher credit for the difference in future travel. We got vouchers for $57 each the last time we flew to San Juan, after an early booking like yours. We are using it on our non stops to Miami in Jan. Worked out really well.

As for minimum numbers of passengers, I have been on mainline jets where I've flown with only 5 other passengers. The crew moved everyone to first class so it was a very easy service for them (and us). A number of mainline flights with loads in the teens (not lately!!). As for other scheduled flights, I have been on regional/commuter turboprops when I have been the only passenger, as well as several times where there was one other pax. Whether or not there are passengers, the equipment and crews have to move.

If you notice the rates go down, US Air has been known to offer you a voucher credit for the difference in future travel.

Unfortunately the new management at US Airways (i.e. the Tempe inmates running the asylum) has changed this policy. You are now deducted a $100 fee per ticket for each fare drop, and any difference is refunded as a voucher only. Too bad, it was a nice feature while it lasted. Now it's gotta be a pretty big fare drop to get any value out of it.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/specialneeds/ticketingpolicies/default.aspx

When a new lower fare becomes available after a ticket has been purchased, customers are entitled to a Lower Fare Guarantee refund within the following guidelines:

* The lower fare is available for the exact itinerary previously purchased.

* No portion of the reservation has been flown.

* This policy does not apply to transatlantic or transpacific travel.

* Lower Fare Guarantee refunds are not available for online ticket exchanges. Certain promotional fares may be excluded.

We will deduct a $100 service fee and apply residual funds in the form of a US voucher.

As for minimum numbers of passengers, I have been on mainline jets where I've flown with only 5 other passengers. The crew moved everyone to first class so it was a very easy service for them (and us). A number of mainline flights with loads in the teens (not lately!!). As for other scheduled flights, I have been on regional/commuter turboprops when I have been the only passenger, as well as several times where there was one other pax. Whether or not there are passengers, the equipment and crews have to move.

now why can't i be that lucky to only have 4 other people with me??!! lately you share your seat with four people! :D

now why can't i be that lucky to only have 4 other people with me??!! lately you share your seat with four people! :D

I was on a plane from Washington DC to Philly (A whole 17 minute flight.) The plane had 8 people on it and 3 were US Air crew going to Philly to start their day. If you include the pilot and flight attendants, there were more employees than paying passengers.

Archived