Questions re offer from Princess

cruiselifers

Hey, personally I don't feel cheated. I just want to be like you!

Actually, your post is like a hundred others that pop up from time to time. The problem lies with Princess, not with you. I think everyone can understand that some people get better deals up front by calling around, dealing with different agents, booking on board, using credits, etc. Everyone has a more or less equal chance to do their leg work and ferret out the best deal.

What is confounding is when Princess seems to mysteriously--indeed, almost secretly--deem some customer groups deserving of special dispensation and NOT offer that same chance to other customers. IF the award was based on some standard, such as loyalty or a new customer bonus, it would be more understandable. That is what I think may bother others (and me) about the coupon you got.) Don't get me wrong--I am happy for you. As it is, however, it seems totally discriminatory (that is not a bad word necessarily). That makes other cruisers feel left out and deem it unfair.

This is not uncommon in business. Indeed, every business disciminates in price in some way. It is just that Princess does it in a way that is almost clandestine. For whatever reason, they must think it is good business. And perhaps it is in the short run.

Will the fact that I didn't get the same postcard as you make me cancel my next Princess cruise? Absolutely not. Does this form of redlining--for whatever reason--bother me? Yes, it does. I would love for someone from Princess to explain to Captain's Club members the reasons behind the byzantine series of pricing rates, coupons, agents kickbacks, discounts and credits. Buying a cruise is getting too much like buying a used car. There must be a better way to do this.

Just my opinion.

BP

P.S. The "better way" is definitely NOT to violate anti-trust laws and fix prices like Carnival and RCCL are trying to do.

I really did not start this thread to brag or make people upset. I had questions about the promotion and was just wondering if anyone could help with the answers. We have been on Princess for two other ten day cruises, with the next ten day one in January already booked. This will be our thirteenth cruise total. I would not have posted if I knew so many people would have hurt feelings or feel "cheated". I am always happy for other people when they get a good deal, promotion, or break in some way. I have read these boards for several years and add something when I think I have something to add. I feel that I am being blasted for not being "elite" or having as many cruises with princess as others have. We have been on many other cruise lines and have liked many things about them, but when we went on the Dawn in 2002 we felt like we found our cruising home. I hope that for everyone that calls Princess to report how cheated they feel will realize that they may just do away with any promotions so everyone gets exactly the same. From now on if I do get something a little special or different from Princess I will think on it a little more before I share it on this board. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

cruiselifers - Don't feel bad, I don't. Every business in this world has incentives to bring in new buyers. Car companies offer cash back incentives. Last year bought a new SUV they were offering rebates, a couple months later, they were offering even bigger rebates on the same SUV. I was a little miffed. But, I was happy with the price I paid, and the rebate I had at the time, can't be upset that the next person got a bigger rebate. Who's to say that if I had waited 2 months I would have gotten a bigger rebate? I don't know if you're new to Princess but I am, I think this is a way for Princess to bring in new passengers. Its just business. I feel like you do, when I hear of people getting things I'm genuinely happy for them. I've been on this board for a little over a year now, and I've seen plenty of people talk about rebates, incentives, onboard credits, that I wasn't entitled to, I think some of it is the luck of the draw. As bad as this sounds, business sometimes do tend to cater more to newer clients to get them to return and less attention to their loyal clients because they feel they have them. I think thats what some people are feeling. But, it's not my decision as to who gets what incentives to book with Princess, I've just decided to take advantage of it.

BAHAMAPAPA- You have said everthing I would have posted in reply. (again!)

and I agree with you WHOLEHEARTEDLY!

CRUISELIFERS - <"From now on if I do get something a little special or different from Princess I will think on it a little more before I share it on this board.>" What a silly thing to post to "punish" us? and say you will not share again??...... that's what this board is all about after all - sharing the good and the bad so others can learn- I certainly did not take your post as "bragging and I'm certainly not MAD! ( Maybe just a tad envious!! Ha!)

Good luck to you - and enjoy your $15 pp per day SBC---and if any of us have the good fortune to get the same - well - HOORAY! I really don't think it will "break" Princess (Carnival) to spread this particular promotion around a bit to other Cruise Critics!!!!!!

I was just expressing my frustration to the many posters on this board that I've come to feel I know, after following these boards for so long.....

Please - No flaming about this - there are more important things in the world for anyone to get "MAD" about!!!!

Peace, love, Lots of Upgrades to Full Suites and Happy cruising to all!!! Renee :D

I really did not start this thread to brag or make people upset. I had questions about the promotion and was just wondering if anyone could help with the answers. We have been on Princess for two other ten day cruises, with the next ten day one in January already booked. This will be our thirteenth cruise total. I would not have posted if I knew so many people would have hurt feelings or feel "cheated". I am always happy for other people when they get a good deal, promotion, or break in some way. I have read these boards for several years and add something when I think I have something to add. I feel that I am being blasted for not being "elite" or having as many cruises with princess as others have. We have been on many other cruise lines and have liked many things about them, but when we went on the Dawn in 2002 we felt like we found our cruising home. I hope that for everyone that calls Princess to report how cheated they feel will realize that they may just do away with any promotions so everyone gets exactly the same. From now on if I do get something a little special or different from Princess I will think on it a little more before I share it on this board. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Cruiselifers - please don't take offense from anything posted as I don't believe any of the 'angry' posts were aimed at you (perhaps I didn't read them carefully enough). If CCers seem put off it is at Princess NOT at you. Please keep posting this kind of information on this board as we all get smarter with more knowledge of what is going on. It's kind of like if you were hoping for and then getting an upgrade, everyone here will cheer for you. :p

And trust me, Princess will not do away with promotions just because they get a handfull of phone calls or emails. It just isn't going to happen.

Again, everyone here is thrilled for YOU :D they just wish they were as lucky.

Cruiselifers,

Thank you for posting and sharing your wonderful news with us. I am very excited for you (and envious for myself) :-)! I just think its nice to know that such offers are out there and to remain hopeful that we may one day get lucky too. Enjoy your credit and thanks again for telling us about it. I am sorry that you took the brunt of people's frustration. Please keep us posted with how it turns out!

Erin

PS. Did you ever contact your TA to see if they knew anything about it?

Could I get the promo number of the card? I am trying to see if my TA can get it for me. Customer relations claims it is only for prospective customers (contrary to people who have received it here). Thanks. I won't be upset if we can't get it, but wanted to at least try.

Thank You!

Cruiselifers, please don't take any comments from me as criticism. Am I happy for you (and everyone else) who gets promotions/discounts - Yes. Would I like one - Yes. Will it stop me from cruising - No. I'm just happy to be able to have the time/money/health to do a cruise. If anything comes along as far as discounts/promotions/credits - great - a bonus.

Have a terrific time and enjoy the cruise in January!

JoyceW are you on the same cruise as cruiselifers? Was wondering if it was something specific to the Dawn or if others are getting it too? Any luck with anyone calling Princess to ask or their TA? That would be just a wonderful letter to get. Will be waiting eagerly by the mailbox.

Have a great day!

Erin

I got one and I have never cruised Princess, only HAL. It did perk my interest in going to Tahiti. Oh well, who says advertising doesn't work.

Could I get the promo number of the card? I am trying to see if my TA can get it for me. Customer relations claims it is only for prospective customers (contrary to people who have received it here). Thanks. I won't be upset if we can't get it, but wanted to at least try.

Thank You!

As I mentioned yesterday in my other post, I received one as well. I called Princess several times over the last day or two for various reasons including about the letter. The reason I received it is because I am a new prospective customer. The Princess representative said it had gone out to those who recently signed up for e-mails and specials on the website. There is no promo number on the card, just my "prospective" captains circle number. This is also refrenced as a coupon number. She told me my number would remain in this state until I take my first Princess cruise. Happily, I booked yesterday and will be going in July of 2005.

Based on this information, I signed my husband up on the website yesterday and requested that he get information as well. I'm hoping that lightening will strike twice.

In the last couple of monts I have been signing up at other cruise line websites and have been receiving similar offers/incentives to take a 1st cruise with them.

Hope this helps.

Deborah

Hey, personally I don't feel cheated. I just want to be like you!

Actually, your post is like a hundred others that pop up from time to time. The problem lies with Princess, not with you. I think everyone can understand that some people get better deals up front by calling around, dealing with different agents, booking on board, using credits, etc. Everyone has a more or less equal chance to do their leg work and ferret out the best deal.

Hey, BP, how ya doing?

I am going to use your comments to respectfully and I hope tactfully disagree with some of the issues raised. It is true that some companies will offer promotions to certain market segments - that should not cause anger among those who are not included in that group. I think it's a little too easy to focus on the negative and see the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. Whether it's a special incentive like the one in this thread, the fact that some people get upgraded, or any other little issue that crops up, I wonder if our anger at not being included (and, I'm as susceptible as the next person) relates to our being too self-centered? When we are lucky or fortunate, I don't know many of us who would refuse such benefits if we weren't certain it was being offered to everyone.

We cruise to relax and get away from stress. If we allow worries about who got the best "deal", who paid for that suite and who was upgraded into it, and how much OBC people received, it makes vacationing sound too much like work.

Great to talk to my OK buddy again.

I understand and agree that we can all get caught up in the "me" syndrome. My only problem with all this is the "double-secret" way that Princess bestows these goodies. As we discussed briefly on our Grand cruise last year, I practice consumer law. Anytime that a business markets AND gives different prices to different persons (we don't know if this even applies to segments), it makes me nervous.

Rob, you have cruised much more than me. I am completely comfortable with you getting more or better deals than me. Others have cruised less. I am completely comfortable with them getting "introductory offers" that are better than I can get. That is the way the market works for better or worse. My only point was that I get very uncomfortable when there is no transparency and no ascertainable standards. We don't know how or why Princess does this. That is exactly what leads to redlining and other consumer abuses. For instance, with no transparency, what is to prevent Princess from marketing based on principles that are less seemly--age, gender, marital status, race, orientation? That is the problem that lurks behind all this. Let me be clear, I make absolutely no accusations of this type. What is clear, however, is that this possibility is real. When special deals are offered only to potential customers of the Company's own choosing and the Company refuses to extend those offers to customers generally (even with qualifications like # of cruises, etc), consumers should be wary.

Again, Princess is going to do whatever it chooses (or, more correctly, whatever CCL directs it to do). I will cruise Princess and enjoy it for now. As a consumer advocate, however, this practice makes me nervous, and I don't think it is the best way to do business in the long run.

Rob, hope all is well. I have followed your lastest cruise postings, especially from CP, with much enjoyment. Take care.

BP

Thank you for your positive comments, it made me feel much better. The thing is, is that it seems as if Princess is giving different information to people. (Not that unusual for Princess) When I called Princess when I received my offer on Saturday, the guy had no clue what I was talking about. I already have a captins circle account from 2002 and recieve emails regularly from Princess. I booked my 1/05 cruise on my 1/04 cruise so I had a sailing booked. This will be my third Princess cruise. I guess my point is, is that the reasons Princess is giving people for who got the promotion do not apply to me. Maybe they made a mistake in sending it to me if that was the promotion, I will not be giving it back though, lol. One stupid thing I did think of though was that it was a postcard with my name and booking number on it. That means that anyone can go into my personalizer account and get all of the information(passport number etc.) Hope it gets there safe without any looky loos.

Erin

I have not called my TA yet. I figured I would give it a couple of weeks to see if Princess noifies her of the credit for my sailing. Also there was no promo code, just the coupon number.

I, too, received one of those letters (Don't beat me!). We had booked back in July for an August 2005 land/cruise in Alaska. We have two cabins, a mini-suite and an inside. Do you think I can put both reservation numbers down on the slip, or should I quickly register my husband on the site to get another letter?

Will see what happens.....if they give me a good offer will try.

Why not try out a different line when the one you use is not giving any discounts to certain loyal customers.

I am out to get the best deal from my pension money from now on.

Princess should treat us all in a fair manner,no matter who we are ,or what region we come from.

This idea of sending discount coupons to some and not to the rest of us is for the birds.

Sorry if I upset some of you for saying this...........but we should all be treated equally.....whatever walk of life we come from,or whatever income.

When one phones princess about this subject they hit on 'Regional Promotions'.

For instance why should persons in Seattle be given a regional break in price ,.and not those from Vancouver or anywhere else for that matter...

This example was quoted by a Princess person that the promotion was for Seattle area but not 240 or so miles away on the same coast in Vancouver....what kind of carry on is this?????

Thank You!

It is for prospective customers. This is my first cruise booked on Princess. I said this in an earlier post. I signed up on their website for email special, etc.

hamptodQuote:

As I mentioned yesterday in my other post, I received one as well. I called Princess several times over the last day or two for various reasons including about the letter. The reason I received it is because I am a new prospective customer. The Princess representative said it had gone out to those who recently signed up for e-mails and specials on the website. There is no promo number on the card, just my "prospective" captains circle number. This is also refrenced as a coupon number. She told me my number would remain in this state until I take my first Princess cruise. Happily, I booked yesterday and will be going in July of 2005.

Based on this information, I signed my husband up on the website yesterday and requested that he get information as well. I'm hoping that lightening will strike twice.

In the last couple of monts I have been signing up at other cruise line websites and have been receiving similar offers/incentives to take a 1st cruise with them.

Hope this helps.

Deborah

Deborah - This is what I was trying to say yesterday. Thank you for repeating it again.

spongerobQuote:

Hey, BP, how ya doing?

I am going to use your comments to respectfully and I hope tactfully disagree with some of the issues raised. It is true that some companies will offer promotions to certain market segments - that should not cause anger among those who are not included in that group. I think it's a little too easy to focus on the negative and see the grass being greener on the other side of the fence. Whether it's a special incentive like the one in this thread, the fact that some people get upgraded, or any other little issue that crops up, I wonder if our anger at not being included (and, I'm as susceptible as the next person) relates to our being too self-centered? When we are lucky or fortunate, I don't know many of us who would refuse such benefits if we weren't certain it was being offered to everyone.

We cruise to relax and get away from stress. If we allow worries about who got the best "deal", who paid for that suite and who was upgraded into it, and how much OBC people received, it makes vacationing sound too much like work.

You're right, that's why I can't understand the anger about this. Companies have specials, rebates, discounts, whatever they want to call it to boost sale, garner new clients etc. Princess is doing no different. They have a group of perspective customers that have taken the time to fill out a survey and register with their site for more info., specials, etc. Now that they know they have a new audience, there're trying to reel in these perspective customers and turnig them into customers. Just good business as it is working. I'm not the only one who has taken advantage of this offer.

Somebody mentioned persons upset with these promotions are self centered.

Nothing of the kind....its not only the first time cruisers that are getting these offers.

Which make the rest of us not feel 'self centered.'

Pardon this expression but makes one feel like a 'sucker'

Somebody mentioned persons upset with these promotions are self centered.

Nothing of the kind....its not only the first time cruisers that are getting these offers.

Which make the rest of us not feel 'self centered.'

Pardon this expression but makes one feel like a 'sucker'

kruisers - I missed that post, I certainly don't feel that way, I don't understand why people are so angry that it was a promo for persective cruisers.

Repeat ...It is not first time cruisers,but certain others,that are certainly not new to Princess Cruises, that are targeted for special promotions.....Which makes the rest of us that have travelled several times with Princess and never get special offers (With the only exception being onboard booking with shipboard credit which everyone gets),feel like 'Suckers'.

Kruisey, I made the self-centered comment, and I'm sticking by it. It is a reality of business that targeted promotions are sometimes offered. There is no entitlement that requires everyone be offered exactly the same thing. Companies are free to offer promos as they see fit. And, occasionally, what seems like a good idea backfires. You live and learn. Big companies are still made of people who have a job to do, and don't always get it exactly right to the satisfaction of everyone.

Sometimes these discussions remind me of arguments I had when I was a kid - someone got a slightly bigger piece of pie or an extra scoop of ice cream. (And please don't accuse me of calling anyone childish, it's just an example I'm using to illustrate my point.) I have to admit that the old phrase, "The customer is always right," isn't ringing very true with me lately since I've had to deal with some pretty ridiculous client issues in the last few days. In these cases, too, if the people I have been dealing with weren't so worried about themselves, they might realize how silly their arguments sound.

I found this post last night and read about the "chosen ones" that received these bonus onboard credits. I was also feeling a little left out and did wonder if I might receive one, or if I was left out of the mix completely. Low and behold when I returned home from work this evening, my wife handed me the mail and the first thing that caught my attention was the Princess envelope! Having just read about this promotion last night, my anticipation was great when opening the letter. Sure enough, inside was a certificate that will award us $360 off of our balcony cabin that I booked three weeks ago for our Med cruise! Although excited about this, I am not trying to rub any other cruisers raw. I have posted this to tell you that since I received my mailing today, there is hope that you may receive one tomorrow or in the near future.

If Princess is targeting a certain group for marketing, I will tell you that my wife and I have never sailed with Princess before. We have sailed with Carnival several times and with Oceania last year in the Baltic's, and we are also in our mid 30s, if that makes a difference. I can understand the frustration with the "loyal customers," but maybe Princess has some other promotions in store for this crowd, since I'm sure they do not want to loose a built up cliental. Maybe they are just honing in on some new blood for the time being, which I would think would be equally as important to keep their company sailing the seas for many years to come.

Do you think the coupon you are talking about would be good on the Coral this December?

Does eveyone know of the credit available to Stockholders? If you own 100 shares of CCL stock you may be eligible for a cabin credit of up to 250 dollars depending on the length of your cruise.

They would not honor this for me as I had already recieved a 200 cabin credit as a promotional offer.

Barry

Right now the stock trades at about 45 dollars per share.

Archived