Taxi from Port in Barcelona to the Airport

HI! Last time I took the Med cruise, I used the RCCL bus to get to the airport. We were jam packed with all the other cruisers and the lines were very long. This time, I'd like to try "self-debarkation" and pay the extra money for a taxi to the airport. I am an experienced traveler, but I normally go to French speaking countries because I'm semi-fluent in French or I try to prearrange the travel in other countries. I have never really traveled in Spain (going to the Barcelona airport doesn't constitute "travel" to me. :) ) so I have a few questions:

1. I'm traveling alone...is there a risk that the taxi driver will try to cheat me (ie drive me around the city, not take me to the airport or worse????)

2. How much should I expect to pay for a taxi to the airport?

3. Do the taxi drivers speak English? I know enough Spanish to say "Hi, I'd like to go to the international terminal of the airport". I can probably understand if he asks "which airlines". But I can't speak or understand much more than that. If I have an honest driver who is trying to get me to where I want to go, I think I'll survive. But I don't want an dishonest driver to take advantage of me.

4. Is it easier to speak bad spanish to the driver or should I try English? I know that in France, you'll do better with less than perfect French than with perfect English.

5. Do you think it would be easy to maybe meet a couple on the cruise who might have room in their taxi (there are nearly 13 days to find someone!)? I need to leave right away because I have a 10am flight. I'm worried that other people may not be punctual or may not have early flights.

6. Do they have "minivan" taxis like in the US? Or are they the smaller taxis like I see in other countries where 3 average people might be uncomfortable with a bunch of luggage?

Thanks for any info you could provide!

I haven't done it yet, but we will be (getting our own ride). I think it's a great idea to ask people on your ship or check out your roll call on this board. It's always cheaper to share a cab!

I can't help you with the other questions, sorry. All I've heard about Barcelona was they are better about speaking English there than in some other Spanish cities.

We were in Barcelona last year and will be travelling by taxi from the airport ourselves. The taxi driver should have no trouble in understanding you, however you should assertain the likely price before you get in. You will need Euros for the fare.

HI! Last time I took the Med cruise, I used the RCCL bus to get to the airport. We were jam packed with all the other cruisers and the lines were very long. This time, I'd like to try "self-debarkation" and pay the extra money for a taxi to the airport. I am an experienced traveler, but I normally go to French speaking countries because I'm semi-fluent in French or I try to prearrange the travel in other countries. I have never really traveled in Spain (going to the Barcelona airport doesn't constitute "travel" to me. :) ) so I have a few questions:

1. I'm traveling alone...is there a risk that the taxi driver will try to cheat me (ie drive me around the city, not take me to the airport or worse????)

The taxis are registered and licenced - they will not rip you off.

2. How much should I expect to pay for a taxi to the airport?
It will cost around €30 and take around 25 mins

3. Do the taxi drivers speak English? I know enough Spanish to say "Hi, I'd like to go to the international terminal of the airport". I can probably understand if he asks "which airlines". But I can't speak or understand much more than that. If I have an honest driver who is trying to get me to where I want to go, I think I'll survive. But I don't want an dishonest driver to take advantage of me.
They will understand 'aeropuerto por favor'

4. Is it easier to speak bad spanish to the driver or should I try English? I know that in France, you'll do better with less than perfect French than with perfect English.
He is driving you to the airport - you do not need to strike up a conversation with him

5. Do you think it would be easy to maybe meet a couple on the cruise who might have room in their taxi (there are nearly 13 days to find someone!)? I need to leave right away because I have a 10am flight. I'm worried that other people may not be punctual or may not have early flights.

6. Do they have "minivan" taxis like in the US? Or are they the smaller taxis like I see in other countries where 3 average people might be uncomfortable with a bunch of luggage?

Thanks for any info you could provide!

Itis likely you may meet someone to share the cab with. Yes they do have the larger SUV type cabs - you may have to wait a bit longer for one of these so perhaps you have answered your own question on this one.

You should be fine - I don't speak any spanish and managed to take a taxi from airport to hotel and we pre-arranged a taxi from port to airport with a group we met on our roll call. Definitely check out your roll call.

Saying that, when we disembarked we were one of the first off and while we were waiting for our taxi to arrive there were quite a lot of taxis available right there at the port.

Frances

We did this on Monday, October 1, 2007. We walked off the Celebrity Century at 8:45. Got our luggage, a cab, and were at the airport at 9:30. Cost was 30 euros (rush hour). Cab driver did a good job. Cabs are metered. It seemed most people were taking the Celebrity shuttles either to airport or hotels. You may be able to share a taxi with someone. Just ask people standing in the lines. Or for a solo traveler it may be less expensive to just pay for the shuttle and put up with the crowd. I found Barcelona cruise terminal to be very well organized. Have fun.

We did this on Monday, October 1, 2007. We walked off the Celebrity Century at 8:45. Got our luggage, a cab, and were at the airport at 9:30. Cost was 30 euros (rush hour). Cab driver did a good job. Cabs are metered. It seemed most people were taking the Celebrity shuttles either to airport or hotels. You may be able to share a taxi with someone. Just ask people standing in the lines. Or for a solo traveler it may be less expensive to just pay for the shuttle and put up with the crowd. I found Barcelona cruise terminal to be very well organized. Have fun.

Were there any other ships arriving there at the same time?

The Star Princess was docking as I was getting in a cab. The previous week (our turn around day) there were 2 other ships ther, but when we left at about 9:00 to go into the town, it seemed like everyone was gone from the ship and there were maybe 20 people waiting for cabs. But Barcelona has LOTS of cabs. You never have to wait very long. Most people were using ship transfers. You could check on CruiseCal to see what other ships may be there. It also depends if the are totally disembarking or just stopping for the day.

Archived