Anyone taken public transport from the airport to Las Ramblas area??

Gypsea

DH and I took the Airport bus and would do it again. We had a 10 minute walk to our hotel (Continental Palacete) - with a 25" suitcase on wheels and a carry-on each. There is a luggage rack inside the bus - it wasn't crowded when we took it so we were able to sit near the rack. If you are arriving in daylight hours I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but after dark would probably spring for a taxi.

Dear Susan:

Thanks so much. We arrive at 2:15 and hate to pay the the rates I've heard for a taxi. We are using 25 inch suitcases as well for this very reason. I appreciate the quick reply. We leave tomorrow night~!!

Back to packing...

Rita

Dear Susan:

Thanks so much. We arrive at 2:15 and hate to pay the the rates I've heard for a taxi. We are using 25 inch suitcases as well for this very reason. I appreciate the quick reply. We leave tomorrow night~!!

Back to packing...

Rita

Hi Rita:

Have a wonderful time!

We went in Sept. two years ago ... great time of the year!!

Jim: How lucky you are to have business in Spain. The train was our first thought but it will boil down to the one that requires the least energy or which is closest after a 12 hour flight.

It's almost officially the DAY! I'll post a full review in a few weeks. Can't wait to see the Century's new look.

Thanks for your reply,

Rita

Susan:

The weather in Barcelona says 76 degrees on Saturday! Can't beat that in New England most days.

Adios!

Do watch out for your luggage on the airport bus - there have been many reports about bag-snatching. Keep a hold on them or get a bike-chain through the handles and attach them to something on the bus!

Also please beware of the beggars in Barcelona - eastern European women with babies - they have a trick where they push a large piece of card into your ribcage so it acts like a tray for you to put money on - and the card hides your vision of your handbag so they can take your purse.

Did this last year.. after a flight from the states get your luggage and grab a cab... very friendly,informative and great way to see a bit of Barcelona before hotel....

Hit the Easy button.. no way am I gonna schlep luggage around on a bus after a long int'l flight

CuriousCat

We made it. Took the airport bus for 3.90 Euros each to Hotel Jazz in Las Ramblas . Later we hopped a bus again to see the Segrada Familia (Gaudi Church). Was it worth 8 euros admission???..probably not as there is hardly anything to see inside and we did not opt for 2 euros more for the view from the top. The outside is amazing though. The weather is incredible and we walked several miles tonight. We ate in the El Raval area. Looking for another restaurant we found La Fragua and ate outside on the street. It was okay and the local flavor even better. Tomorrow we are off to the Century. I am looking forward to showing Paula what ship life is all about.

Good night from Barcelona<!!!

Took the airport bus for 3.90 Euros each to Hotel Jazz in Las Ramblas . Later we hopped a bus again to see the Segrada Familia (Gaudi Church). Was it worth 8 euros admission???..probably not as there is hardly anything to see inside and we did not opt for 2 euros more for the view from the top. The outside is amazing though.

We were naive when we took the bus but arrived at the hotel safe and sound. It is very true, do watch your baggage. When walking the woman should walk ahead and on the inside, the man in the 4 or 7 o'clock watching her back.

We took the taxi back to the airport. Guaranteed arrival at the time we wanted, different and more interesting route, and not overly expensive.

As for Segrada Familia, we walked. No sweat and easy to find. We did not have the option of going in. We had a coffee at the cafe in what is probably the North East corner of the square; good place to sit and just let your eyes explore. It is also the spot from which the adverts were shot.

We made it. Took the airport bus for 3.90 Euros each to Hotel Jazz in Las Ramblas . Later we hopped a bus again to see the Segrada Familia (Gaudi Church). Was it worth 8 euros admission???..probably not as there is hardly anything to see inside and we did not opt for 2 euros more for the view from the top. The outside is amazing though. The weather is incredible and we walked several miles tonight. We ate in the El Raval area. Looking for another restaurant we found La Fragua and ate outside on the street. It was okay and the local flavor even better. Tomorrow we are off to the Century. I am looking forward to showing Paula what ship life is all about.

Good night from Barcelona<!!!

If you have a post-cruise night-- try the siete portals restaurant near the ocean front and a few blocks from Las Ramblas -- away from the airport's direction. I thought it served fantastic paella, with a real local atmosphere.

To anyone spending time in Barcelona, please be careful with your belongings! We've just spoken to the 7th person we know personally who has been robbed or had their bag snatched there. We know plenty of people who travel a lot and there is no other place in the world with such a bad reputation.

Please leave EVERYTHING in the hotel safe and only take the cash you'll need with you, in an inside pocket somewhere.

It's a great city but you really need to take care.

Please leave EVERYTHING in the hotel safe and only take the cash you'll need with you, in an inside pocket somewhere.

It's a great city but you really need to take care.

You might even consider locking your empty luggage in your hotel room.

We met one American whose evry item was stolen from his room. The thieves packed everything in his luggage and took that too.

PS, As advised elsewhere, make photocopies of your passports, airline tickets, credit cards, insurance, telephone numbers etc. Keep these separate from everything else and lock them with valuables in the hotel safe.

This is equally true on the cruise ship. One of my countrymen on the Baltic cruise in August met some very welcoming local ladies in Klapedia and had a marvellous time. Back on board he could not rememebr when he had last seen his passport, credit cards wallet etc etc :)

Archived