Review of Cozumel 9/25/07

mountaingurl

We were off the boat by 9 am, and went straight to executive car rental. It was right there as soon as you get off the ship. We rented a jeep with no deductible for $77. They tried to charge me $93, but I told them I would go else where. They seemed pretty surprised that I took about 20 pics of the jeep, but I wanted no surprise scratches or dings. We were on the road by 9:20. There was hardly any traffic! We went all the way down to the east side of the coast until we got to Chen Rio. I LOVED it there. It opened up at 10:30. We swam, and it was the beach you see in your dreams. There is a protected cove, but it is very rocky, so bring swim shoes. Our 5 year old even swam there. The kids loved it. You could see the waves crashing around. They did not try to sell us anything, and after an hour I felt guilty and bought some coke and a water(we spent a whole $9 there). There was maybe 10-12 people there and half were natives. After we left Chen Rio we headed to Paradise beach, though we stopped all along the way just checking things out. The jeep was wonderful! It was like a dream come true just traveling up the coast with the wind blowing my hair. It was not hot at all (though I am rarely ever hot, so maybe I am not the one to ask). We kept stopping to take pictures. We got to Paradise at 12:30. We had chairs at the very front, and Tom came over to meet us. He is every bit as nice as everyone says. The kids loved it there, and they said they wished we had come there to begin with. There were tons of taxi drivers just sitting there waiting. Hubby got some snorkel stuff and headed under the pier. I ordered a ton of food (the $45 seafood platter could feed 4 people easy, and the lobster was soooo good). Service was outstanding,a nd we will definitely go back. Tom was even nice enough to let me use his computer for an internet class assignment that was due, and we celebrated with Tequila when I was done! We were so glad we did not purchase an excursion. Renting the jeep was easy. We did not drive in the down town traffic, so it was easier than driving at home. We filled up at the gas station on the way back. I asked to see that the pump was set at zero, and the attendant showed me. It cost $6.70 to fill the jeep back up. We delivered it back to the rental place and they quickly looked it over and we were checked out within 5 minutes. It could not have been easier. We actually talked a couple on the ship into renting a jeep and touring the island too, and they said it was just as easy as we found it to be. It was one main road, even me with my bad direction sense could not have gotten lost. We got a free map at the rental place, and it was so easy to follow.

Thanks for the review. We will be in Cozumel in April. We are going to PB and also San Gervasio ruins. We were thinking of renting a jeep. My DH is not sold on it. He would rather get a taxi, $45.00 RT to San Gervasio and $13.00 to PB and $13.00 back to pier from PB. He says it is about the same price and he would feel more comfortable with the taxi. I would like to drive around but he will not go for that. He does not like driving in unfamiliar surroundings never mind in another country:eek:

I think I will let him have his way.........this time:D

We also went to PB and we had a great time we got there between 10and 10:30 and we stayed until about 12:30 was not crowed at all I wanted to stay there the whole day but we had my motherinlaw in a wheel chair and she wanted to to go do a little bit of shopping so I made the most of my time and swam the whole time we did order a pineapple drink and it was wonderful and we also ate nachos they were very good too and Tom was very nice he was at a table trying some new food the chef had made when he was done he came over and talking to me and my mother in law, would love to go back there sometime,, next time i wont forget the milk I had for Tom on the ship in my room... :)

Mountaingurl...

Which pier did you come into? I am sailing in on Celebrity Century in Dec.

We are planning to rent 3 Jeeps (12 in our group), I saw LessPay and they are located somewhere downtown. But, I would much rather rent right from the pier.

We docked right down town, international pier, I think. There were at least 3 rental places right off of the ship. I was not even looking for them, they were holding up signs. Executive, avis, and one other were there. I knew about less pay and actually told them they were cheaper, that's why they lowered their price. The jeeps were pretty new too. They could not have been more than a couple of years old. The air did not work in them though or the radio. Of course I did not care because why get a jeep if your not going to let the top down. We had two adults and 3 kids. The kids were a little cramped in the back, and they did have a larger SUV available, but they told me that you could not get zero deduct. with that one. I'm sure you already know that they are standards. Like I said, we got off the ship at 9 and were on the road by 9:20.

Archived