first time cruising with 2 kids

robzilla69

I'm sure this has been asked before so please forgive me. My wife and I went on our first cruise this year "RCCL", and had a great time. next year the girls ( 11&13) want to come too. On our last cruise we did an inside cabin and though small served us well. I see that there are some ships that have inside cabins for up to 4 people. Unless they are double the size of our last one, I don't see how this could work for us. I suspect I will need 2 cabins. I guess my real question is why don't they make "family suites" more reasonable? I would think if you took the space of 2 inside cabins, with the same amount of beds as 2 inside cabins, etc. it should be about the same price per person. But it's much more for a " family suite" with no balcony or window PP. Anyway any suggestions on the best way to book this would be helpful:D. Thanks in advance.

We are a family of 4 that always cruises together in a cabin. You'll find that with kids, you won't spend much time in the cabin anyway, so it really doesn't matter the size.

Kids keep you extra-busy so you'll really only sleep, bathe and get dressed together. Also, your ship should have great showers (sauna & steam room too!) in the spa that you can use to shower, so before dinner times aren't so cramped in the cabin.

It is much more economical to share a cabin because of the 3rd and 4th passenger discounts. This allows my family to cruise more often--something we ALL like!

When I started researching fares and staterooms for our family's upcoming cruise, I knew I wanted at least a window. I'm not crazy about the closed-in feeling of an inside.

I discovered, though, that two connecting Promenade staterooms were only around $100 more than a single Oceanview for four. I like to think of it as an 'outside-inside' cabin: I still get a window to avoid the closed-in feel. We get two bathrooms and a significant increase in cabin space for a few dollars a day.

On Carnival and Princess, the third and fourth beds are bunk beds (they're inside the ceiling...the cabin steward will take down while you're at dinner and then put back during the day). You just have to decide who gets the bunk. On our first couple of cruises with our girl, hubby took a top bunk, but on subsequent cruises, from about the time she was 4, the girl had a top bunk.

I have now cruised three times with the kids, always 4 or 5 in our room and I never feel crowded. The kids spend so much time in the Kids' Programs that I get plenty of alone time.

I am attaching a picture of our cute room from Carnival Liberty.

96600932_CabinwithBunks2.jpg.4981ece7276eac17aa8398c260084ff2.jpg

I'm sure this has been asked before so please forgive me. My wife and I went on our first cruise this year "RCCL", and had a great time. next year the girls ( 11&13) want to come too. On our last cruise we did an inside cabin and though small served us well. I see that there are some ships that have inside cabins for up to 4 people. Unless they are double the size of our last one, I don't see how this could work for us. I suspect I will need 2 cabins. I guess my real question is why don't they make "family suites" more reasonable? I would think if you took the space of 2 inside cabins, with the same amount of beds as 2 inside cabins, etc. it should be about the same price per person. But it's much more for a " family suite" with no balcony or window PP. Anyway any suggestions on the best way to book this would be helpful:D. Thanks in advance.

We just took our 10th cruise, our 4th with our kids age 13 and 9. You mentioned RCCL, Princess, and Carnival. We have been on Carnival and RCCL without our kids. We really love NCL for our family for lots of reasons.

We have been in outside cabins (2 times), an inside cabin (1 time), and this year decided to pay a bit more for a Penthouse suite (Cat AB). This is a 2 bedroom, 2 bathrooms one with a jacuzzi, living room/dining room, balcony cabin and is about 575 sq.feet. The suite also had 4 TV's so there was no aguing on who got to pick the TV show :D ! It also includes a butler and concierge for booking restaurants (Freestyle dining on NCL, eat different times and in different restaurants). Having the butler deliver a hot breakfast every morning and set it up in the cabin was so great and stress free. The concierge also gave us priority debarkation and tendering so we were the first to go ashore. This was priceless with the kids.

I am sure that we will go on RCCL, Princess, and other lines again. The suites on NCL and the VIP service was worth it and made for the most enjoyable and relaxing family vacation on land or sea that we have ever had. We priced out a Princess and RCCL cruise for the same time (August 2007) and NCL was so much cheaper.

We love taking our kids with us on a cruise. The suite made a great family vacation even better. Good luck with your choices.

Archived