Walk to the Butterflies?

gill_boo

Been once before, but just walked around the shopping area a bit and then headed back to the ship. The cruise line wants like $40 for the butterfly excursion, but I saw on the website that the entrance fee was like a quarter of that. So I figured if I could walk it would be cheaper and I could do it on my terms.

My answer would be that it depends on how good a walker you are and what your condition is. It also depends on the weather when you are in Key West and how hot and humid it is that day, factors that impact your endurance. The Butterfly Conservatory is all teh way at the end of Duval--the end away from the docks.

We were walking with a couple our age, mid-sixties, and headed for the Butterfly Conservatory. They went about four blocks and decided the walk would be too far. We went back to our car and drove.

Consider, too, that you will have to return. So maybe you could take a taxi there and walk back or vice-versa if the walk is too tiring. Consider, too, the amount of time that walking there may eat up from your day in port. Depending on your speed, the walk could take twenty minutes or half an hour one way, maybe even more if you drop in stores or galleries or a restaurant or saloon for a quick bite or drink.

Whatever you decide, the butterflies are well worth the effort. It is a great experience.

I live in Key West and the Butterfly Museum is amazing! A must see. It is about 2 miles from the dropoff spot. It's a short cab ride, but it's a fun walk down Duval street to get there. Plenty of great bars, dining and shops along the way. Enjoy!

I've also been considering the butterfly excursion from the ship, but it also includes the aquarium. Where is the aquarium in relation to the pier and butterfly museum?

When we went in May'07 I was 380 lbs. and i made it from center of town to Butterfly which is right next to the tip of Key West (the 90 mile marker to Cuba)with no problem. Its like two things in one Butterfly and 90 mile Marker. Also we did the aquarium in '05 and it was awesome cause you get to pick up the star fish and stuff. Royal Caribean offers the two together for around $45 and i think thats a little high. The aquarium was $12 and butterfly $10 so its better to do it yourself plus you can walk down Duval Street and go past all the sights. Pull some stuff off the internet so while you walk you can read about Hemingways house and the "Mini-Whitehouse" that Pres. Truman frequented. Just some ideas but remember have fun.

Duval Street, and thus Simonton and Whitehead, are listed as 1.25 miles and 16 blocks from end to end. It's easiest to walk north on Whitehead from the docks, passing the entrance to Truman's Little White House on the right, Hemingway''s House on the left about half way at Petronia, and the lighthouse on the right. Cut over to Duval at about Olivia one block, then right on Duval to the Conservatory.

Pjk

Thanks for all the info! I've been to Key West several times for conferences so I've seen most of the sites (and bars!) but I never knew there was a butterfly conservatory until fairly recently. I will probably walk to it from the pier, then hit the Hard Rock Cafe on my way back! :rolleyes:

Taxis are plentiful in Key West as well as reasonable. I am not sure about the fare but since the distance is just over a mile it shouldn't be much. Just stop one of the pink cabs and they will be happy to tell you the fare.

Mike:)

• 1 month later...

Last year I took a cab o the Butterfly conservatory...I cannot remember how much it was, but it was very reasonable, I believe under 10 with a tip. I would recommend taking a taxi there. Walk around it, then walk to the southernmost point, check it out, then walk back down duval. If you walk to the Butterflies, you may get distracted by all the stops on Duval!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget to stop for ice cream at Flamingo Crossing (assuming it's still there) on Duval.:D Try a scoop each of passion fruit and mango.

Last time we were there, Katrina had just flooded the island. They were cleaning seaweed off the southernmost marker.

The Butterfly Conservatory was excellent. Check the internet - there may be a discount coupon for it.

the walk down duval street is great, and not far at all. we walked all over the town and never relied on any wheeled transportation(except for the trolley 'cause we wanted an overview of the whole place). and the butterfly museum is a 'must see' experience. shopping is just not that important to us...at all.

:) jeff

Try the trolley (not conch train)! We were there in March this year and did the trolley. It wasn't expensive and you can get off and on at about 10 stops. You pay for one round trip. You got a nice overveiw of the town and one of the stops is the butterfly/southern most point stop. The drivers are a hoot and narrate where you are and point out interesting sites. You get a map that shows the stops and what attractions there are eat each stop.

Most definitely do the butteflies! It was amazing. We had a "hitchhiker" that would not leave us alone. He landed on our shirts, arms and faces! The photos are amazing. The place is small, but beautiful!

Our ship's tablemates rented one of the golf carts for about $35 for the day. They did not rent from the folks right on the pier, but walked into town a bit and got a better price. They did the tour on their own, but they had been to Key West before. We kept running into them on the trolley tour and would shout and wave at each other as we passed by.

Don't miss the rum cakes and conch fritters!

Archived