Alcohol

merlin217

I've never flown on an intercontinental flight nor have I flown on Swiss International before. Question.......is anyone familiar with their food and beverage service? Do they serve alcohol? Also.......is it OK to take the small (airline sized) bottles of alcohol in your carry-on bag for consumption on the plane?

Thanks

Also.......is it OK to take the small (airline sized) bottles of alcohol in your carry-on bag for consumption on the plane?
You can, but if you're taking it through security you have to follow the same rules as for any other liquids: No bottle may be bigger than 3 fl oz or 100 ml (container size counts, not the amount of liquid inside), and all those bottles must fit inside a quart-size clear ziplock bag.

I don't know specifically whether SWISS charges for alcohol, but I would be very surprised if they do. Can't think of any decent airline that does this on long-haul flights. ;)

Can't think of any decent airline that does this on long-haul flights. ;)

Several USA airlines charge for drinks in coach on TATL flights. Small jab from across the pond?? ;) Can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that both DL and NW charge for cocktails in coach TATL. NW is complimentary drinks in coach for TransPac flights, though. There may be more....

Several USA airlines charge for drinks in coach on TATL flights. Small jab from across the pond?? ;) Can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that both DL and NW charge for cocktails in coach TATL. NW is complimentary drinks in coach for TransPac flights, though. There may be more....

Ah. so you are AGREEING with Globaliser. :)

Ok, OK, to all our "across the pond" friends. You got us!!!

American carriers still charge for booze in coach on most flights. However, when you look at the price an American carrier charges to the same destination, I can USUALLY buy a lot of booze for the price difference.

As a loyal AA flier, BA/Cathay normally just can't compete on price alone. They certainly are far ahead on service, etc. But since most Americans price shop, most have to do the price vs service/value equation carefully.

The BA nonstop out of PHX/LHR is usually about $300.00 more than the AA one stopper through ORD, DFW or JFK. But the prices are coming down. TODAY, the BA nonstop is $30.00 cheaper than the AA one stop. And Cathay, LAX/HKG is now cheaper than the AA through NRT, then JAL to HKG or the AA/Cathay codeshare. Sure hope that trend continues.

Small jab from across the pond?? ;)
Ok, OK, to all our "across the pond" friends. You got us!!!
Just couldn't resist that one!
However, when you look at the price an American carrier charges to the same destination, I can USUALLY buy a lot of booze for the price difference.

As a loyal AA flier, BA/Cathay normally just can't compete on price alone. They certainly are far ahead on service, etc. But since most Americans price shop, most have to do the price vs service/value equation carefully.

The BA nonstop out of PHX/LHR is usually about $300.00 more than the AA one stopper through ORD, DFW or JFK. But the prices are coming down. TODAY, the BA nonstop is $30.00 cheaper than the AA one stop. And Cathay, LAX/HKG is now cheaper than the AA through NRT, then JAL to HKG or the AA/Cathay codeshare. Sure hope that trend continues.

I'm not sure that the premium to fly BA is that much when you compare like with like. A one-stop connecting trip will always tend to be significantly cheaper than a non-stop - that's the way the market works. You're paying extra for the convenience of the non-stop flight, rather than the extra onboard service.

But if you compare non-stop against non-stop, in markets where there is a significant amount of N-registered service, at the moment it looks like BA is generally $22 more than the US carriers, if you book far enough out that you are confident that you're comparing lowest fares without the artificiality introduced when the lowest booking classes have sold out on one airline but not another. The consistency of this figure suggests that there is something structural involved, like the level of fuel surcharges.

I agree about the value equation - you always do have to look at both price and value. But the price competition is keener than that PHX example on its own might suggest.

A one-stop connecting trip will always tend to be significantly cheaper than a non-stop - that's the way the market works. You're paying extra for the convenience of the non-stop flight, rather than the extra onboard service.
I'll confess to evidence that I'm a mileage junkie....give me the connection!! More miles, and another lounge to visit along the way.

You do bring up a good point that many cruise travelers need to remember - there is a definite "hidden hand" working the marketplace, vis a vis non-stop flights. In general, the cheapest buckets sell out on the non-stops first, so you often have to make a price/value judgment about whether to take the non-stop for more money, or a connect for a lesser price. Same for flights at desirable times -- folks wonder why the 9am flight out of FLL or SJU is so much cheaper than the one at 1pm. It is ALL price-value game theory.

In the USA and on USA airlines, passengers are only allowed to consume alcohol served by the airline and airline personnel. If you somehow discretely pour something into your coffee without anyone noticing, it might go - duh - unnoticed. But, it is against federal regulations. As always, I do not endorse any illegal activities - this is an informational posting only.

In response to your question Swiss (twice in last 10 months) unlimited drinks in coach no charge. British no charge as well as Air New Zealand. all were flights to europe. It is an FAA violation for pax to serve themselves their own booze on flights. I like martinis however and u.s. airlines only serve vodka. so i buy a couple of shots of vermouth and get 4 olives, put it in a coffee cup and make my own martini discreetly after takeoff.

Archived