Newbie question about "the patch" for motion sickness."

chewie44

My very first cruise is a 15 day transatlantic from NYC to Barcelona on 4/19/08, and my biggest concern is getting seasick, since I do get car sick(sitting in the back), etc...:eek:

Is the patch that a doctor prescribes the best remedy for motion sickness? I had heard from someone at my gym that the patch made her sick because she thought it was too strong for her. I also heard from another person at the gym that they were fine on the boat, but when they got on land they felt nauseous.

I would appreciate anyone's input.

as you now have first hand knowledge that what is good for one might not be good for another.

You might be fine on the ship.- but transatlantic cruises could be quite bumpy- what do you take for your motion sickness?

the patch is for severe cases. and could be too much for you.

Bonine tends to make a person drowsy-- I used the sea bands-- accupressure points is how it works for me-- PS-- I am one of those who only have to use it AFTER the cruise-- for about a week after until I get my sea legs back.

In the past I have used dramamine when I go out on one of those "whale watch boats" at the beach, and it does make me drowsy.

I was recently in NYC last month, and I was on the spirit of New york cruiser....I did not take anything, but when we got off the boat, and hopped in a taxi to take us to Bloomingdale's, I was feeling car sick.:(

I'm now thinking that it had to do with what you have which is "after motion sickness".

Perhaps I should get the patch from my doctor, and buy the seabands. If the patch seems to strong, then I will switch to the seabands.

If the patch seems to strong, then I will switch to the seabands.

it would already be in your system and youcould ruin a whole day by taking the patch.

Cruise ships are nothing like those fishing / siteseeing ferries. These ships are massive. Hopefully your cabin is located low and more midship.

Personally- I would start out slow and take it from there- start with the sea bands-- then go up a step if they dont work-- try eating ginger.

then take bonine. But try the patch as a last effort when nothing else will work. Like it is stated== the patch is the strongest these is.. (except the needle the ship dr can give you.

You might also consider the Gravol Ginger chewables.

thats what they are called-- I had a senior moment. But this is what I mean by eating ginger first... before taking any kinds of meds..etc

(do you think those halloween cookies--ginger snaps-- work just as well??

any reason tobe eating cookies is good enough for me..

As a fomrer user of the patch, I would recommend caution in getting it unless your seasickness is extreme. They reformulated the patch a few years ago and I had to give it up due to the severe side effects that it caused.

You should go to your cotor and discuss the use of the patch, as it might also react with other meds, blood presssure or even depression.

Now I make do with mecclazine (less likely to make you drowsy and as effective as Dramamine as it is the active ingredient in both it and Bonine.) and it seems to work well enough for me. Sea bands, ginger none of that worked as well as the mecclazine did.

The big ships are a lot less rock and roll prone as opposed to the smaller ships, but it's better to have the med with you. If you can, book your room for a lower deck towards the middle and that will help as well.

Charlie

My DH tried to convince me to cruise for 10 years, but I was afraid of being seasick. So last year I got the patch and we set sail. We have sailed through the edges of a tropical storm and I have not been sick. The patch works beautifully for ME ... but it affects everyone differently.

I put the patch on 6 hours before we depart, and leave it on for at least 3 days AFTER the cruise to prevent the wobbly legs afterwards.

I have used meclizine (which is the ingredient in bonine and dramamine less drowsy). It makes me super sleepy (like can't hold my head up ... no fun for the DH!). Some people use meclizine and take 1/2 to 1 tablet at night before bed. That may work for them, but it doesn't for me.

Some people swear by ginger tablets. I have tried those but have not had good luck. Again, they work for some but not for me.

Some use the seabands (available at the drug store). Some eat green apples!

Anyway, the best advice (previously noted) is to talk to your doctor and find the right solution for you. If you decide to try the meclizine then my suggestion would be to give it a try on land and see if it makes you tired. If you drink alcohol then have a drink and see if it knocks you out.

Again, we have sailed through tropical storms and I had no problems. I knew the ship was moving, but did not feel sick. And I get sick on a dock!!!

Hope this helps - enjoy your cruise!

I think that I will now probably go to my doctor and discuss it with him.:) I can have him give me a prescription for the patch, and have it for "in case nothing else works for me".....

I will buy the ginger, and the sea bands, and the meclazine(or if not over the counter, then ask for a prescription for that too):)

I also need to send my TA at *****.com a request to have the balcony on the lower/midship part.

My TA said that I had a "balcony guarantee" but all he had at the moment back in July was a room that would be very noisy, :eek: so I will see if I can make a request for a specific part of the ship now.

Can you guys say more about what "eating ginger" means and what works?

I have cruised twice a long time ago, and both times got seasick about 3 days in. Dramamine worked for me both times, although it did cost me one evening of drowsiness.

I was thinking of taking some ginger on my next cruise to try. What exactly do I get before I leave, and where do I find it?

Thanks so much.

I was thinking of taking some ginger on my next cruise to try. What exactly do I get before I leave, and where do I find it?

Thanks so much.

In a store like walmart,, walgreens, riteaid, CVS,

find the isle with motion sickness stuff. That is where you will even find the sea bands.

I think that I will now probably go to my doctor and discuss it with him.:) I can have him give me a prescription for the patch, and have it for "in case nothing else works for me".....

I will buy the ginger, and the sea bands, and the meclazine(or if not over the counter, then ask for a prescription for that too):)

I also need to send my TA at *****.com a request to have the balcony on the lower/midship part.

My TA said that I had a "balcony guarantee" but all he had at the moment back in July was a room that would be very noisy, :eek: so I will see if I can make a request for a specific part of the ship now.

This far out you are bound to have a cabin open up that is more midship. You may want to change your category to a cabin choice, rather than a guarantee if you want a more centered location, a guarantee is not always the best way to go. Also, realize that balcony cabins on your particular ship are on decks 8 and up, there are no lower deck balconies.

Whatever choice you make for seasick meds, try them out before leaving, you do not want to discover your sensitivity to a medication while on your trip. I've avoided the patch, I seem to have every side effect known with meds, I like my wine with dinner and I like to read a lot.

The formula that works best for me is the less drowsey Dramamine, I take it at night at bedtime. The Bonine, or meclizine, makes me entirely too drowsy, even taken at nighttime.

Contrary to above posts, the two products are not identical, they are different medications. The ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine, Dramamine is Dimenhydrinate, I don't know how closely related those tow meds are. While the Dramamine worked well for me and the Bonine did not, everyone can be different.

I'm a patch guy myself... I heard it was different for everyone and had a great experience with it... To each their own... At amusement parks the sea-bands are enough... Flights and anything rough require the patch for me... Eh...

My very first cruise is a 15 day transatlantic from NYC to Barcelona on 4/19/08, and my biggest concern is getting seasick, since I do get car sick(sitting in the back), etc...:eek:

Is the patch that a doctor prescribes the best remedy for motion sickness? I had heard from someone at my gym that the patch made her sick because she thought it was too strong for her. I also heard from another person at the gym that they were fine on the boat, but when they got on land they felt nauseous.

I would appreciate anyone's input.

Order room service in the morning. Some kind of bread, juice and a yogurt. Then after your shower go ahead and have breakfast. Keeping something in your stomack all the time keeps your stomacks acids from sloshing.

If you think that eating all the time will make you gain WT, all that walking that you do on board ship will infact make you lose WT.

Some people say looking at the waves makes them whoosy. Looking at a fixed view in the horizon while on board the ship will stop the up and down motion feeling your body is feeling.

I like the 15ft. waves infact the larger the better. I sleep like a baby. And yes anything above 15ft. you can wear sneakers with formal wear!

Booya,

Itty

On our first cruise I used the patches. I had trouble keeping them on in the tropical heat, or after showering. On the second cruise, I took Dramamine. I broke the tablet into quarters so that I could use a minimum dose, and think I used less than one tablet on the entire 5 night cruise. I also recommend seeing how each motion sickness prevention method affects you prior to your cruise.

Does anyone know if you can drink alcohol with these medications? Our 22 year old son is coming with us and gets car sick if the road is twisty turny. I know he plans on partying some. We have given him Gravol in the past and it pretty much knocks him out.

Gravol has the same active ingredient as the original Dramamine. Meclazine - active ingredient in Bonine and "Less Drowsey Dramamine as well as available as a generic is less drowsey and non-drowsey for many people. I take it before bed time as it is a once a day medication . . . so far, so good.

That said, approach drugs mixed with alchohol with caution!

I get motion sick just watching video games, watching things turn in circles, or sitting in the back of a car. I've been on 2 cruises and used the patch both times. I swear by it! The first time, I was not very careful about washing my hands everytime I touched it and I ended up with very blurry vision. The next time I was very careful about washing my hands every single time I touched it - even if just brushing my hand against it while pulling my hair back - and I didn't get blurry vision or any other side effects. So just be very careful - when they say wash your hands everytime you touch it, they mean it!!! That said, I'd take the blurry vision and dry mouth over being sea sick any day. Also, the side effects (dry mouth) seem to be stronger the first few days and then almost disappear by the end of the week as your body gets used to it. The patch didn't make me drowsy at all - and I drank alcohol moderately while wearing the patch and didn't seem to get drowsy from that either. Anyway, it works for me!

Archived