warm chocolate melting cake-editor's picks

victory2020

I tried the cake last week and have to say that I was disappointed after reading all the hype on Cruise Critic. The ice cream with it was the best part; the cake was too rich and overpowering and I usually love anything chocolate. It is available every night on the menus but I wasn't tempted to order it again.

Yes, the cake is really rich! You really have to like chocolate. But, all of us liked it. My dau-in-law liked it so much that, on a different night, she passed up another course and added TWO Chocolate Melting Cakes for dessert.:eek: (the portion looks small!)

Needless to say.........she shared/gave the 2nd one to others in the group.:p

I think most of us had it twice, at least, during the cruise.

Same thing here, i'm not that much into chocolate but I like the Molten chocolate cake at chili's AND my wife loves any chocolate. When we first saw the Chololate melting cake it looked good but we could not eat it. It started to taste like hot chocolate pudding. The ice cream was very good ! My wife just had the orange sherbert the whole time. I guess everone has their own preference.

I had this a few (ok, 4) times recently on the Legend. It is not a cake, at all. The only way I can describe it would be like fudge that wasn't allowed to cool, and solidify. It was 100% hot liquid every time I had it, although one time it had the slightest hint of a really thin crust on top. I'm a chocoholic, and I wouldn't have been able to finish it had it not been for the vanilla ice cream.

Good description, but sorry, you are not a true chocoholic!

I tell the waiter NOT to bring the ice cream because I don't want to dilute the chocolate taste. And while I don't usually have it more that one (sometimes two) nights, I eat the whole thing! Usually while making lots of moans of pleasure!! Yumm!:D

Uh, no - that's exactly what it's called. I don't suggest calling it liquid love or choco-gasmic...these were just our pet names!

ROFL.....but I think "liquid love" is a great name. Although for the perverts on the board I am sure they might go there. :eek:

Oh great...I was looking forward to trying it until I looked at the ingredients :eek: . Talk about fat calories - OMG! Maybe I'll have to share one with my kids! Darn, ignorance is bliss...(until I get on the scale!!):p

M

I tried the cake last week and have to say that I was disappointed after reading all the hype on Cruise Critic. The ice cream with it was the best part; the cake was too rich and overpowering and I usually love anything chocolate. It is available every night on the menus but I wasn't tempted to order it again.

I agree it was not as good as everyone said. I was very disapointed.:(

Hi - just back from the Spirit - I put the ice cream into the little dish of chocolate and stirred and I was in 7th Heaven! Had it a couple of times and it was, in my opinion, the best dessert!

Peggy

Uh, no - that's exactly what it's called. I don't suggest calling it liquid love or choco-gasmic...these were just our pet names!

Infinately better names than Outback Steakhouse's "Chocolate Thunder From Down Under." :eek:

Showed DH the picture of it and he started drooling. I laughed at him when he said the Spa menu looks really good to. He said he would have to eat the spa menu for 3 days after eating it. Now please understand he is not a small man by any means 6'2" and about 275. I got a good laugh that night...

I have made this cake many times. It should not be a liquid and it should not be a "cake". If it is done right it will be a cake with a soft gooey center. Bake and serving time is very important with this dessert. It will keep cooking itself with its own heat if it sets too long. Try to order it before the singing and dancing of the waiters start.:p

This dessert was way to rich for me, I had some and had to put it down and then ordered my favorite cheesecake or my 2 scoops of butter pecan ice cream.

Its better to mix in something like vanilla ice cream to tame down the flavor.

Fred

That cake is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten. I absolutely love chocolate and it was like eating warm chocolate lava. :D After the 2nd night my waiter knew how much I loved it, so he brought it to me every night. I have the recipe and I'm debating whether to make it or not. :p

This dessert was way to rich for me, I had some and had to put it down and then ordered my favorite cheesecake or my 2 scoops of butter pecan ice cream.

Its better to mix in something like vanilla ice cream to tame down the flavor.

Fred

Aren't you glad they have Butter Pecan Ice Cream...Wendy and I can handle the chocolate!

Jan

My family of 6 was on the Conquest in March and we LOOOVVVEDDDD the WCMC-much to our waiter's dismay (seemed irriatated that's all we wanted). Anyway, just got off the Fascination this past Friday and they just couldn't get it right, always overly done or not done enough (someone must have been in training). Still it'll be the first dessert I order on my next cruise! :D

Today(Oct 1), the Editor's picks has an article regarding cruise foods- Carnival's recipe for warm chocolate melting cake is on there under desserts. Enjoy!

As well it should be:D I had it everynight and only one night it wasn't right, to done like a regular cake. The rest of the time it was to die for.

Archived