Anyone else NOT have a great body and loves dressing up for formal night?

It doesn't sound weird. I think everyone has spots they consider senstive and would prefer to cover. That is just natural!

I didn't mean to pick you out :) , but I think it is odd that some people saying they don't care about what other people think, and everyone should wear what they want, etc. etc.. But then they turn right around and condemn others for doing so.

Don't worry about me, I wear Teflon when posting on CC :D Absolutely no offense taken, but thanks for your concern about my feelings, that is nice of you.

And...I don't condemn anyone for their choices, it's just that when you have a choice, why would a person choose to detract rather than enhance?

My body moves, breathes and I'm alive!! That's great AND perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Running the gamut of sizes over the decades as well as living in different geographic areas where dress codes are all different, YES, I do like to dress formally on occasions that mandate formal. In today's market there is so much to chose from no matter what size you are.

It's a rare female who is perfectly built..Barbie maybe?? And if she could speak, she'd probably have her issues of discontent!!!

Accentuate your positives!! If you feel good about yourself, regardless of your size, you'll look good no matter what you wear whether it's formal, swimsuit or casual.

Kim,

I hear you! I found a great site called Zaftique that has great dresses for formal night. I ordered one and it came today and it is gorgeous. And it has sleeves, and doesn't look too matronly. I prefer dresses to pants for formal nights, just personal preference. Take a look at the site - http://www.zaftique.com.

Maybe you'll find something you like.

Susan

Wow, a great site with some elegant gowns...I'm bookmarking it! Thanks.

Thank you all for your replies. You all win the award for wisdom! BTW, I do not care what other people think either but I do care what I feel comfortable in and that's where my original question came from. And the fact that I've loved looking at the photos of beautiful dresses that many have been posting here lately lamenting that I can't wear any of them. :) I'm not losing sleep over it mind you and I just wanted to hear from the rest of us I suppose! Thanks and Happy Cruising to All!

Thank you all for your replies. You all win the award for wisdom! BTW, I do not care what other people think either but I do care what I feel comfortable in and that's where my original question came from. And the fact that I've loved looking at the photos of beautiful dresses that many have been posting here lately lamenting that I can't wear any of them. :) I'm not losing sleep over it mind you and I just wanted to hear from the rest of us I suppose! Thanks and Happy Cruising to All!

Funny you should mention " lamenting that you cant wear some of the dresses you have seen here ". I have had so many of my slim friends enquire where i have bought items of clothing that they have admired and its so funny to see them dissapointed when i tell them its from my favourite plus size shop which sells only over size 16 (UK)

Kim

Henepup,

Yes, I received my dress from Zaftique yesterday. I got the Prima Donna dress in garnet and it is gorgeous. I wear and 18 or a 1x and ordered the dress in a 1z and it fits perfectly. Also, it is very comfortable, feels like a nightgown! The only caveat I would have is that if you are short the dress might be too long on you, I am 5'7" and the length is perfect. You could always order one of the shorter dresses. I will definitely be ordering from them again!

Susan

I never have problems with it being too long, I'm 5'10, its always too short. I have the hardest time trying to find tops with long enough sleeves!!! I do my best to find tops with 3/4 sleeves, that seems to work for me.

Have a great day!

Hi all you beutiful women - big, small or otherwise! I'm 59 and for many years I beat myself up about my size ( UK16) ad wished that I was back to the size (UK10/12) of my youth. It hasn't helped that for 31 years I've been an insulin dependent diabetic which means that you store a bit more fat than normal when you've taken insulin for such a long time. Even watching my diabetic diet carefully I found that as I got older the weight was far more difficult to shift. A hysterectomy when I was 51 didn't help much either. It took a young Greek colleague to bring me to my senses. She overheard me having a whine about my arms, stomach, bust (I hate it and would gladly not have a 36E bra). She said that in her culture more mature women are EXPECTED to have a fuller figure. Haven't many of us had children? Haven't we worked hard both in and out of our homes for the benefit of many? Isn't that something to be proud about? Do we really expect to look as we did in our youth? She made me think. I now keep my hair, skin and nails looking the best I can. I try hard to maintain my weight and I love shopping for clothes that flatter my figure. I'm looking forward to buying some formal clothes for our first cruise next year. Just wish that I could buy from some of the great US websites featured on this thread. Unfortunately the UK import tax is prohibitive. Lets all be proud of ourselves and what we've contributed. As long as we look and feel good does our size really matter. More to hug!:) :)

Kim,

I hear you! I found a great site called Zaftique that has great dresses for formal night. I ordered one and it came today and it is gorgeous. And it has sleeves, and doesn't look too matronly. I prefer dresses to pants for formal nights, just personal preference. Take a look at the site - www.zaftique.com.

Maybe you'll find something you like.

Susan

WOW - that site is incredible!!! I am just under 5'3" tall. My normal weight used to be about 115. I quit smoking in 2000 and have gained 30-35 pounds and am not used to being this size....I feel as though there are no clothes out there for me. I'm not quite big enough to wear plus, but nothing else flatters my shape (or should I say disguises the flaws). This site looks like it was made for me!!!! Unfortunately (well not really-this is a good thing) we leave in just over 2 weeks and I have all my formal wear. I wish I had known about this site before. Oh well, going forward I'll be sure to always check this site out first!! What an incredibly perfect site for a girl with a little too much hangin' off her upper arms, belly and hip areas!! Thanks so much for sharing that with us and I hope the original poster finds what she needs!!! Good luck!!

I totally agree! Now that I have turned 50, it just doesn't seem to matter anymore. I don't have an awful shape, just a belly. The rest of me looks fine. My husband thinks I look sexy and classy, and that's all that matters when you think about it. I have a wonderful life, a great husband, wonderful kids and grandkids. So what if my belly's not as flat as it once was. I'm having fun anyway! I stressed for a long time because when I didn't have the money to cruise, I had the figure. Now that I can cruise a couple times a year, I don't have the figure to take advantage of the clothes I can now afford. Okay....so what! I can worry about my paunchy belly or just forget it and have fun anyway, and that's what I choose to do. If anyone doesn't like it, oh well!

I love love this thread. I am having a problem finding a dress and this thread has helped me to feel better. I am 51 and all my life I was thin and not happy with my body now I have gained 25 pounds after turning 50. I have been working on my weight and have got back down, but the stomach will not go. You have all helped me by letting me know I am not the only one that feels this way. Thanks to everyone. Now back to find the dress that will attract my husbands attention after all he still gets that look in his eyes when he looks at me and that is all that matters.

The perfect body?:eek: :confused: hmmm...I don't have one and never have....

Many, many years ago I smoked and was a size 6~did I think I had

a perfect body back then? Nope.

I quit smoking in 1991-92 and gained weight.....I am now (many

years later) a size 14.

I have never had the perfect body, whether I was small or large.

I don't know anyone (personally) that has a perfect body.

She might be out there, but I don't know her;)

Oh, do I still love dressing up on formal nights? You bet:)!!!!

Good for you Lois! I finally took off my stop smoking 20 pounds that I gained and it was tough! Even training for my marathons didn't do it!

I love love this thread. I am having a problem finding a dress and this thread has helped me to feel better. I am 51 and all my life I was thin and not happy with my body now I have gained 25 pounds after turning 50. I have been working on my weight and have got back down, but the stomach will not go. You have all helped me by letting me know I am not the only one that feels this way. Thanks to everyone. Now back to find the dress that will attract my husbands attention after all he still gets that look in his eyes when he looks at me and that is all that matters.

Aww bless you Alabama gal, That brought a tear to my eye ... you are so right, so long as your dear hubby is still head over heels for you thats all that really matters isnt it .... Big hug x

This thread makes me feel good! We are all human, some of us do have faults or faulty bodies, but, you know what??? We are all going to look nice and have lots of fun in whatever we choose to wear! Thanks for all your inspiration!! Wish you were all going to be cruising with us!...Nightingail.

I am pleasingly plump, not obese, but am flabby and will NOT be caught in a sleeveless or revealing dress.(Yes, I know about wraps/shawls but do not like them) Does anyone else try to cover up and still do formal nights? I still enjoy the palazzo pants with a very dressy top with some sleeve....am I the only one who does this?

I like to wear long sleeved tops-as I look better in them. It takes a little bit oflooking but I am still able to find things that are not frumpy looking that helps me to look better.

Now as far as a shawl goes, I use that for when I am cold.

A PERFECT BODY?? What's that? I didn't know there was such a thing!

I remember the day when I was a size 6. Well, that size is looooooong gone. My problem is the lower half of my body is considerably larger than the top half. Most of my weight sits right below my waist. So, when I buy a top in a medium, it doesn't fit properly at the upper hip. Oh well, s___ happens!

As for spider veins, if you don't like what you see, look the other way. And if people stare, take a picture because it lasts longer.

I will be 60 next April and my body is mine. No one else can claim it. If people don't want to be around me or like me because of my weight, then that's their problem. I can live without them.

The bottom line, I do my absolute best to look good all of the time. I am self-conscious about my weight, therfore, I try very hard to cover the areas that I don't think should be seen. But, at the same time, I am going to be comfortable.

All of us gals that are a little heavier than we'd like to be should just tell those small size gals to go fly a kite. We are proud of who we are.

Enough of my rampage, but at my age, I dare anyone to make a wise crack about my weight, bulges, etc. I like myself and that's what matters most.

I know that each and everyone of you will look absolutely beautiful on formal night and that your husbands or significant other will be proud to be with you.

I figure with my fabulous "flying squirrel wings" underarm fat, it will serve as my shawl for all formal occasions. :D

Seriously, I'm a "big ol'" girl for sure (22-24), and I love to dress up. Sometimes it's a pain to find clothes, but when I finally find one, I feel like a princess!

If you are looking for some not-quite-formal, but still nice dresses that are SUPER CHEAP, you should try Fashion Bug Plus. They have some really cute ones, and they have a clearance section on their website!

I'm 34, so I'm not quite ready for "mother of the bride" dresses, but I'm way beyond my prom dress years, so I think that's almost a harder niche to find than the plus size part! Does anyone else find that to be true?

And, to the OP and all you other girls who have posted... THANK YOU! Ya'll have made my day and made me remember that even us fluffy girls are gorgeous... inside and out!!!!

I am right now a size 16/18. I am 5'9' and weigh in at about 185-190. I always said if God had intended for me to be thinner he would have given me the metabolism to be thinner, so i work with what i have. I will wear a bikini when on vacation and if someone does not like, then do not look. I am a very confident person and i think that shows more of what a person is about then what they are wearing.

I am the complete opposite of my younger sister who may be a size 4/6. She will wear black to make herself look smaller.

So my attitude is live life to the fullest and not worry about what other people have to say about you because they do not know you and besides who know what is in the family closet.

Michele

Archived